The Purple Plain and the Tamiya Mosquito Mk IV Photo Recon

Started by David A. Thomas · 15 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 4 years, 7 months ago:

So, I'm jumping into the GB rather late as far as actually posting something. I had originally intended on doing a Catalina, specifically the Cat that tracked the Bismarck, but that proved too ambitious for that mother of all modeling killers: "LIFE."

I managed to rise to the occasion with a run at a Mossie, and my dear friend David Leigh-Smith graciously allowed my late entry. This thread will function as my WIP, along with pithy commentary, good fellowship among modelers, and the usual snark.

My chosen flick (and I could have chosen several--the Mosquito has been rather popular) was Gregory Peck's The Purple Plain. I picked this one not because the plot involves the version of the Mosquito I have chosen to build, but because the film makers actually used a couple PRs in the making of the movie. I love all forms and schemes for the Mosquito, but chose to do the all blue PR version because I find it rather dashing, and when it comes down to it the planes were every bit as dangerous to the enemy as their armed siblings.

I also want, right off the bat, to credit a couple other iModelers in this build. The history of the kit is that I bought it so long ago on eBay that it no longer appeared in my purchase history. I found out the hard way to be extra careful with such purchases, because it came without a crucial sprue of parts and without the nose glazing. Thanks to Chuck Villanueva who provided the sprue and the glazing, and to Louis Gardner for the figurines. You guys are the best! Without the help of these intrepid modeling brothers, the bird wouldn't have flown.

I also needed the figurines (which I myself had previously plundered) because I want to do the bird wheels up. I've searched iModeler and haven't found a single Mosquito PR, nor a single one with the wheels up; so I'm breaking ground in two ways.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Welcome back, David. Great choice of subject - can’t wait to see your take on this iconic bird!

• Profile Photo

Paul! Just the man I wanted to talk to! Listen buddy, I washed out of the RAF build due to the aforementioned "life issues." I was hoping for redemption--that this could count for that GB, however belated. When I make the final post, by your leave, I will mention you. Sound OK?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 7 months ago:

David, sounds perfect! There are a few who have a little unfinished business in RAF100 - myself included. I’d love to lodge this there too! Great call!

• Profile Photo

Great!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 7 months ago:

There is now a PR Mosquito at iModeler, David. Thanks for reminding me I hadn't posted it back during If It's May It Must Be Mosquito Models Month. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks David, appreciate the plug but really not necessary, but we are here to always be of help. Can't wait to see what you got going. And the most wonderful thing is that you can spend some time at the bench knowing how life has been up in the great northwest doing amazing things. Follow your path.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

David,
    I'll be watching this build with enthusiasm ! This just happens to be my favorite all time Mosquito... ever.

After watching your magnificent A-20 come to life during our Kasserine Pass GB, I can't wait to see you do your magic with this one. Please post up progress as you can. I have this exact kit in my stash.

It is getting closer to the work bench each day. Hopefully by early next year I can get it underway...

Glad to be of assistance with the crew.

• Profile Photo

OK, folks, here are some WIP pics...

It doesn't look like much, but for those who know Tamiya's Mosquito, this is a fair share of the grunt work before it all comes together. Wings and rear control surfaces have been assembled, primed and sanded, and preshaded, all in lacquers. The magnificent young men (in their flying machine) look a bit cartoon like in the first shot due to lighting; the pic of them in the cockpit is more accurate to their appearance. As you can see, I slugged the interior a bit. It looks heavy-handed but once it's all together it's appropriate.

Comments welcome.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Glad you're in modeling mode! Looking forward to the Mossie coming together.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I agree with Greg. It’s great to see you back at it again. The work you have done looks amazing.

I just noticed that the flight crew are wearing ties ! Your figure painting skills are far superior to anything that I could ever do.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 4 years, 6 months ago:

OK, a quick and photo-less post of thanks to Louis Gardner for pulling me from the fire on a decal issue. Oh, those blessed Tamiya decals in the hands of an amateur! The "No Step" red zones on either side of the cockpit (actually "Keep Off") have been veritable nightmares for me, in spite of what I thought was a good effort at surface prep. A price had to be paid, I didn't want to pay it, so now I am ponying up with interest.

The bird is painted, decals all on, but until I get this issue resolved I cannot achieve the proper uniform sheen these PR Mossies pretty clearly sported in their snazzy dusky blue paint jobs.

Almost there...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 6 months ago:

paint it clear gloss overall after the decals are set, then go for you "uniform sheen."

If you are getting silvering on the "Keep Off' decals, slice them with an Xacto blade, then flood with decal solvent. That will get the air out from under the decal and let it set down without further problem.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I've solved the silvering that way, Tom. But I'm struggling with that spot being shinier than the rest and it just won't respond to repeated flat coats. I've resisted glossing the entire thing, but may have to do that.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 6 months ago:

yeah, sometimes you just have to get everything "on the same page," and an overall gloss coat, followed by your final coat, will solve the problem.