1/48 Condor Legion double build - Tamiya Bf-109E-3 and Roden He-51.

Started by John Healy · 72 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I know I still need to finish my He-111, but I feel like building more then painting this week. I started these two today. I built a lot of Spanish Civil War stuff in 1/72 years ago. It’s time to build a few in 1/48. I picked up the 109 for $15 at the Butch O’Hare IPMS show in Illinois last Saturday to provide inspiration. The 109 will be 6 123 and the 51 will be Galland’s 2 78 using Aeromaster decals.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Both will be amazing, John @j-healy
    Really looking to them being built because I'm looking for a Spanish Civil War build as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. No shortage of interesting subjects on both sides of the SCW.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@jhealy - the Roden He-51 is a really nice kit. Check my review at M2.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom! Already have checked your review and will be referring to it through the project.

• Profile Photo

These are the two schemes that I’ll be using. Some say Galland’s Heinkel was painted in two greens (RLM 70 and 71). I’m going with Aeromaster’s interpretation of green and brown using RLM 61 and 62. The one thing I’ve learned from discussions of these SCW schemes is that nobody knows for sure.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Amazing entries, my friend @j-healy!
    Aeromaster RLM 61 & 62 are great choices!

• Profile Photo

The Heinkel’s interior structure built up nicely using Plastruct Bondene liquid cement. Very similar to the ICM I-153 and AMG Hawker Hart interior but molded with less finesse. Pleased so far. The exhausts are kind of a clunky set up but worked ok after clean up. The fuselage halves aren’t glued together yet. I’ll give both planes interiors an airbrushed coat of Floquil RLM 02 and then detail them before further assembly.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Nice step, John @j-healy
    The RLM61/62 is a great choice.

• Profile Photo

Frugally sprayed the interior parts of both planes with my dwindling ancient supply of Floquil RLM 02 and did some further interior work on the 109. I haven’t built a 109 since 1992 and this is my first ever Tamiya 109. I like it. Added Eduard belts and will use the kit instrument panel decals.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, my friend @j-healy, love the RLM02 shade!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

John, @j-healy
    I am very happy to see that you have started this build journal. Thank you. You picked a very nice 109 kit, and painting these two as part of the SCW, it's a great choice. I know that a lot of people say the 1/48 Tamiya 109 "Emil" series is dated, but for me, I still like them a lot. They build up very easy, fit well, and I like how they look afterwards. It's a simple model with no gimmicks.

As far as the 1/48 Roden He-51, that is a kit I eventually would like to get. Currently I have 2 or 3 of the "ancient" Classic Airframes versions in the stash. From what I have read, the Roden kit you have builds up easier than the ones I have.

I will definitely be watching this journal for updates. You guys might just be able to talk me into building up one of my Pro Modeler Ju-52's as a Spanish Civil War aircraft. Once I get the Pearl Harbor projects done, I will be coming back to work on the 1/48 scale transport that was used by Hitler, a Lufthansa plane D-2600. I like to build things in assembly line style, so it will be easy to build a second Tante Ju at the same time...

Thanks again for starting the journal, and I look forward to your next steps.

• Profile Photo

Progress is very nice, John @j-healy
    Your eye to detail is great as always.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Always nice to see another Tamiya Emil taking shape! Your attention to detail on both these are very nice, and a real inspiration, at least for me, to try to be just a little better (patient?) at painting the stuff. These Eduard belts really adds to the kit. Keep them coming!