1/48 Monogram He-111.

Started by John Healy · 16 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

I actually started this one in January, when I finished my Blenheim. The Sword Re. 2001 and AMG Hart grabbed my attention and this one sat. Perfect chance to finish it. It’s going to be a Sicily based torpedo bomber. I added some beam guns and have the SBS wider prop blades and Squadron clear parts to get it closer to a true H-6.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years ago:

Building the Monogram Heinkel 111 is a project I also should be doing since I have the kit and all that AM stuff in the stash, but somehow it just gets postponed ad infinitum, so John thank you for getting it build and posted in these pages. I for one will definitely be following your progress with keen interest

• Profile Photo

Pedro, I’m ashamed to admit that this kit sat in the stash for 26 years. It’s a nice model. Build away!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 3 years ago:

Nice work, John. For me, this was the '111' of its time, until ICM came along. Looking good so far, and glad you got replacement canopies. I always thought the circular framing of the nose turret to the main nose glazing was too narrow on this model and should've been at least twice the width.

I smiled when I saw your name and the date marked inside the fuselage... almost as though you're expecting someone to open the fuselage in a few hundred years time to find out who built the kit. But then again, you may have another perfectly reasonable explanation... ;-). Will be looking in on the progress of this one.

• Profile Photo

Rembrandt signed his...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years ago:

As long as it doesn’t head in the ‘Picasso’ direction this will be fantastic, John! Loving these 111s!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

That's an amazing choice, @j-healy!
    Yes, the ICM might be the "latest and greatest" kit, but the Monogram was and is a great kit, as well, even if it might fall a tad short to the ICM, upon rivet counting.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Very nice choice, John @j-healy
    The progress you made till now looks great.
    Looking forward to this one, especially how you are going to mask the canopy.

• Profile Photo

John, I have an Eduard mask to use with the greenhouse canopy. Squadron made two vac sets for this kit. Greenhouse and fuselage windows were in one, turrets in another. I only purchased the Squadron clear sections for the upper turret and lower forward position. The upper turret cover was different on the H-6 from what the kit provides. The lower forward position is lacking all together.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Looking forward to this piece of art John!

Rembrandt signed his………

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

Nice Work, I really enjoyed my build of the Monogram kit. I have two more in my stash, and think it really builds up nice and with few issues. Yours is looking really nice and with the small added touches it should be a super kit. My hat is off to you for using the vacuum formed canopy, I would be hesitant to do that.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 3 years ago:

This is very inspiring John. I picked up the Monogram He-111 from the consignment table at Kings Hobby in Austin, Texas a few years ago now. It's going to take up a lot of real estate in the cabinet if I do tackle it. I'm looking forward to seeing your build! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Walt. I just bought the turret set, not the greenhouse set for the nose.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years ago:

Great choice, John. Excellent work so far onthe fine detail in the kit. Odd that we seem to have parallel inspirations and, apparently similarly diverse tastes in aircraft (seeing as we are both building Skyhawks as well over in the Falklands/Malvina GB). I like this kit a lot. I didn't get as far as you did with the cockpit but I have spent some time (including several hours today) doing Eduard etch for the fuselage/cabin behind. Since the cockpit is built up out the front, I am aiming to get everything necessary done inside the fuselage so I can glue the halves together ASAP. I will do the pit after that. I will be following your build carefully to get inspiration on the build challenges. Looking forward to your artistry (complete with signature).

• Profile Photo

Yes, Colin! We’re both also Brewster Buffalo fans.