1/48 Tamiya Me262

Started by Darren Dickerson · 16 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Everyone
    Had a Tamiya Me262 in the stockpile for sometime and thought it would be good time to crack one open, and we have just gone into a 14 day COVID lockdown where I live in Australia. It is a cracker of a kit and after a few hours I have it almost ready for some paint. I added a Ultracast seat and have some Eduard wheels to use when the time comes for them to be added. 4 seats on the assembly line indicates at least another 3 262's in the future ! Happy Modelling.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Cracker of a kit indeed. Nice progress in such a short period of time. I have built the Monogram, Dragon and the Tamiya kits of this plane and hands down the Tamiya is by far the best and most enjoyable to build. Yours is looking good, what scheme are you going to do?

I did my Tamiya one as one of the test bed aircraft. https://imodeler.com/2012/12/148th-tamiya-me-262/

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

An assemblyline of 262's seem like a pretty good way to get through the lockdown. Happy modeling - I shall visit now and then to check your progress.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

You did all of this in just a couple of hours, I'm impressed Darren.
    The interior looks perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

A great entry, Darren!
    Love the cockpit!
    Looking forward to your painting!

• Profile Photo

Updated with painting - simple scheme as will be a JV44 262 and quite a few were painted in RLM83 overall on topsides. I since found a pic of "White 22" which shows the starboard side of rudder was a different colour (RLM76?) so I have since repainted that...gloss coating now for decals later this week.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Very quick progress, Darren, something to be said for lockdown I guess. Keep safe.

• Profile Photo

Beautiful paintwork Darren, @darren-d
    Nice panel shading.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic painting and shading, my friend @darren-d!
    Looking forward to your decalling!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great work, Darren. That's a really nice cockpit and outstanding airbrush skill on the mottled green topsides.

• Profile Photo

Latest Update on the 262 - decals done, weathering mostly done, adding UC and doors today, canopies painted and ready to go. Not much after that to finish 100% though I might try to make a base for it - typical Luftwaffe aircraft stand with timber planks etc just to set it off bit different to what I would normally do... which is basically to put in the cabinet as is!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress and nice result, Darren.
    Almost ready to cross the finish line!

• Profile Photo

Beautiful looking 262, Darren.
    I definitely will use some of your approaches on mine.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Darren, @darren-d
    These Tamiya 262's go together very nicely. I have built one several years ago in an overall early RLM 76 scheme. These jets are my favorite from the early jet era... so I sincerely appreciate your efforts to share yours with us here.

You're tempting me to finish the one I started a build journal for several years ago, but never cut the first bit of plastic on... It was the unpainted plane that had a Werke Nummer that ended in 711. I have a bunch of pictures of it that were taken of it after it was captured by the Allies and flown over Ohio in the USA. Sadly it suffered an engine failure and crashed after only flying a short number of hours. This picture of the actual aircraft was provided some time ago by our dear friend David Leigh Smith as part of his "On this Day" series.

Yours is looking great as is. There are SO many ways you can paint a 262...I look forward to seeing it again soon as you cross the finish line.

• Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Here is the finished 262 - really enjoyed this build and 3 weeks from start to finish, though took me 6 weeks to take some pics! Happy Modelling!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.