A and A Models 1/48 Me-209 V4

Started by George R Blair Jr · 47 · 2 years ago · A and A Models, Me-209 v4
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I was in my "new" local hobby store last week, and saw this new kit by A and A Models. We are moving to a new house in the near future, and this hobby store will be near our new house. I am really trying not add more built kits that I need to move to our new house, but this looked like it might be fun. I have previously purchased the C-141A model by A and A Models which looked pretty good, so I figured I would give the Me-209 a try.

Aircraft Background
    The Me-209 is an interesting aircraft. It was designed from the start to be a high speed plane that could break the existing speed record. Although the 209 was never meant to be a combat aircraft, Hitler's propaganda machine named it the Me-209 to closely associate it with the Me-109. Designed in 1937, it broke the speed record in 1939 with a speed of 469 mph (756 km/h). This record lasted until 1941 when the absolute speed record was broken by an Me-163A jet aircraft, with a new record of 624 mph (1004 km/h). The Me-209 held the speed record for piston aircraft until 1969, when it was broken by Conquest I, a modified F8F Bearcat owned by Darryl Greenamyer.

When it became obvious that the Me-109 wouldn't be able to obtain air superiority over England during the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe wanted to take a look at using the Me-209 as a fighter to replace the Me-109. This proved to be problematic. The wings on the 209 contained the cooling system for the aircraft, so there was no room for wing armament. The engineers put two MG-17 machine guns and ammunition in the nose, firing through the propeller arc. The performance and handling characteristics were poor, so the engineers increased the wingspan and redesigned the tail surfaces to fix the problems. During this period, Hitler's propaganda machine hoped to make the British believe there was a new high speed Me-109 coming by renaming the plane the Me-109R. It didn't take long to learn that all the changes made to the Me-209 V4 had actually made it slower than the Me-109, and the project was cancelled. The fuselage of the record-breaking Me-209 still exists in the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow. There was another experimental plane named the Me-209 that popped up in 1943, but it was a completely different design than this plane.

The Kit
    A and A Models is a new manufacturer, but their kits appear to be pretty nice. The kit has some nice detail, and it includes photoetch, a canopy mask, and some nice-looking decals for two paint schemes. Although the first look at the kit is positive, it does have all the characteristics of a limited run kit. The panel lines are very shallow, and inconsistent in places. There are no pins or tabs to help in the alignment of the various parts, so it will be important to test fit, test fit again, and then test fit some more before applying glue. I anticipate problems with the main gear, where the pin that attaches the struts to the wing is very small. I have no faith that the struts will securely hold the weight of the wings and fuselage. I will figure that out later. Possibly the biggest drawback for me is that there are only two paint schemes available for this plane. Basically you can paint this plane any color you wish, as long as that color is gray. I know this is heresy, but I may devise a "hypothetical" paint scheme for this plane. By the way, you can't build the early, record-breaking version of the 209 with this kit. It contains the extended wings and the nose machine guns of the V-4, making it totally different than the V-1 version. The model is engineered so that you can get a V-1 by replacing the wings and the top of the nose, so I suspect there will be a V-1 version at some point.

More to follow. Everyone stay safe.

13 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

A very nice addition to this groupbuild, George @gblair
    Nicely detailed molds and PE.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Wow, what a wonderful entry, my friend @gblair!
    Surely it will have its exquisite place in this great GB!
    Personally, I love RLM02 overall coated planes. In this case, I also love the added red snake (but, that's personal... 🙂 )
    Looking forward to see this beauty built!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Here’s one I hadn’t seen before, good entry George! Looks like a nice short-run kit to work on. I bet the snake will look terrific

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great you bring this one up - also on my "to-buy" list, so I'm strapped in to follow this one as well.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Very interesting choice, George. I have never seen this aircraft before, let alone a model of it. I will be keen to see how kits from this new manufacturer will build up. Great that the hobby can accommodate another kit maker when others have recently gone out of business.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words, John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), Pedro (@holzhamer), Erik (@airbum), and Colin (@coling). It is really cool that technology allows new manufacturers to make some really nice short-run kits. Here is a really nice model of a plane which never had more than a couple of actual aircraft. Of course, the rarity of the plane really limits the available paint schemes, and it make resource photographs really hard to find.

• Profile Photo

Started on the cockpit today (no big surprise). This plane is really small, even in 1/48 scale. The interior is a combination of small plastic parts and folded photoetch that is added to the interior walls of the fuselage. I have a real problem with A and A here. They have somehow trained the small plastic parts to jump off my tweezers and land in the carpet, never to be seen again. I managed to lose the first two small plastic pieces that I attempted to add to the cockpit walls. A lengthy search on my hands and knees with a flashlight failed to turn up any trace of the missing parts. I created new parts using some plastic strip, so no problem. The photoetch is very soft and folds nicely.

Construction of the cockpit floor consists of seven plastic and photoetch parts, with the rudder pedals still to be added. The seat was nicely cast and required only the addition of the seatbelts. The instrument panel is a nicely detailed piece of plastic, with a one-piece decal for the instruments. I used some Solvaset, which is a very strong setting solution, to settle the decal over the details. It will need some more work to make it look presentable, but I think it will be OK.

I have painted the cockpit using 3 or 4 different gray colors of Tamiya paint. I know these colors are incorrect for this plane, but the real plane was painted inside and out with RLM02, so I wanted to create a little visual variety.

That's it for today. Cheers everyone.

• Profile Photo

Good progress there George, and indeed those instructions drawings are a visual mess. That cockpit photo, incomplete as it is, is still very clear for a lot of details.
    Does the instructions booklet call for RLM 66 for the cockpit? I may be wrong, and probably am, but the image suggests me more of RLM 02, including the IP minus the dials.
    There are a lot of parts in there that share its older brother design 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Pedro (@holzhamer). Instructions call for RLM02 everywhere in the cockpit except for a couple of black boxes. I plan to vary the colors in the cockpit with several different grays. I found another interior photo of a V4, along with a photo of the engine and guns, that show the gray tones a little better.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That's a solid progress, my friend @gblair! Cockpit is super detailed, but all these minuscule parts test someone's patience. The more I see your progress, the more I love this project! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great details, George @gblair
    Folding those PE is not an easy task, but you did great on them.

• Profile Photo

@gblair
    George, that new photo reveals pretty much everything remaining of the cockpit. And it shows that the 209 shares a lot of the 109 components.
    The armament in the photo, besides the 2 MG17 is that black shape a 20mm drum case?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Pedro (@holzhamer). Interesting question, Pedro. According to the history of the 209 that I read, it never flew with anything other than the two MG-17s. Apparently the armament affected the weight and balance so severely that the plane became difficult to fly, even with only the two machine guns and ammunition. I would be willing to bet that they tried installing other armament, but discarded the idea. In the end, I guess the thing that killed the 209V-4 project was because the plane, with the longer wings, machine guns, and ammunition, was slower and less maneuverable than the existing Me-109s.

• Profile Photo

As I move through this kit, I am impressed by how well everything fits. Given the limited run nature of this kit, I have been test fitting, then test fit again, and then test fit one more time. The cockpit went together with little fuss, which was then encased in the fuselage. The wheel wells were a separate piece that was glued to the lower wing, followed by a problem-free mating of the upper and lower wings.

As I test fitted the wing to the fuselage, I noticed the aft end of the wings didn't have anything to positively locate it to the fuselage. Much like a large tab, it was thin enough that it would freely move up and down. I didn't have a lot of faith that just jamming glue in the seam would be a good idea. I fit a piece of plastic between the bottom of the cockpit and the fuselage to act as a positive location tab for the rear of the wing. It worked perfectly.

I glued the wing in place, and I was really pleased to find that the upper surfaces of the wing mated perfectly with the fuselage.

Tomorrow it will be some filler work on the joint between the lower wing and the fuselage, followed by the elevator and rudder.

Everyone stay safe. Cheers.