Eduard 1/72 scale Bf110D

Started by Paul Higgins · 13 · 2 years ago · 1/72 Scale, Bf110D, Eduard, WW2 Luftwaffe
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi, guys...

I will be making this kit up as my next contribution to the GB. Will post some photos soon after I overcome the IT gremlins currently prohibiting my ability to upload at present... grrr!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 11 months ago:

So, after a few technical hitches trying to load the photos, here they are at last.

I have made the Bf110 kits from Eduard a couple of time before, but quite some time ago so I hope this one will be a little better in its end result.

With the exception of the ailerons, all control surfaces are moulded in neutral as part of the wings, tailplane and fins. In order to introduce some life to the kit, I have removed the flaps and leading edge slats, to be tidied up and reattached later. The former require the shortfall between upper and lower sections to be filled in and sanded smooth before re-attaching, and the slats require their upper and lower sections to be brought togther to make one piece.

You can see the progress with this so far in the photos below, and the forward area of the slats has been blanked off with plastic card inserts. The cockpit area and internal fuselage details have been completed with the exception of the seats which just need seat belts attached before I close up the two halves.

I hope you like the photos so far, and more to follow in due course.

Regards,

Paul

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is a great start, Paul.
    I'm positively surprised by the amount of detail for a 1/72 kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry, my friend @paulh.
    And what a great progress, so far!
    Reattaching slats and flaps is a great idea, in order to liven up the model looks. I loved what you did with the cockpit, too.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice choice, but since the scale is 1/72 may I suggest some close up photos? It looks like a great kit

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi, guys...

Hope you're all well. My apologies for a prolonged absence lately; I had hoped to finish this one about three weeks ago, but didn't quite make it... my holidays held me back! It was nice to get some time away, so myself and a friend headed up to the north west coast of Scotland, to Ullapool, and had a wonderful time driving about and seeing some great scenery, including some Carribean-esque beaches and beautiful, clear turqoise water... there are some real gems of such beaches in this part of the world. We also managed, at last, to get to the Russian Arctic Convoy museum, in Aultbea, and learned more about how the convoys would assemble in the area during the war before heading up to the Arctic Circle and down into Murmansk and Archangel. Compared to many museums, it's about the size of a thimble - small and compact but with some great model boats, wartime memorabilia and documents... strange to think of that part of the world being such a hub of activity all those years ago, and not without it coming to the attention of the Luftwaffe from time to time. The museum happened to be re-opening after Covid restrictions were eased here recently, so good timing on our part... :-).

Anyway, back to the model... some additional photos showing the progress of the build; all the control surfaces, other than the ailerons, were removed, tidied up and re-attached; engine nacelles attached and blended in with the wing and then onto the painting and application of markings, all of which came from the spares box, except the national markings, and the unit emblem which was homemade.

Since these photos were taken, the kit has been blackwashed and the main canopy section and windshield have been painted and attached; my intention is to open the rear of the canopy also to add some additional interest to the overall finish.

Hope you like the pics... more to follow in due course.

Regards,

Paul

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That's some amazing progress, my friend @paulh! Looking great indeed!
    You did have a wonderful vacation, didn't you? Thanks for sharing all with us!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

What a great well deserved holiday you must have had, Paul.
    The 110 is looking superb, just a few steps to go.

• Profile Photo

Spiros/John...

Thanks for your comments... yes, I had a great holiday... and the sun is still shining, now that I'm back home. I hope it continues for a while yet... :-).

Regards,

Paul

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress. A small detail like the angled tailwheel adds a lot to the overall impression.

• Profile Photo

Erik...

Thanks for your comments.

These are now the final images below, with the canopies all in place, a further gloss varnish coat and then a dusting of homemade satin-mix varnish .

I chose this scheme largely on the basis of the unusual unit emblem; this Bf110D, VC+ES, 'White 10', was operational in Denmark with 1.Staffel, Ergänzungs-Zerstörergruppe Værløse. The unit only existed between 1940/41, and was disbanded and renamed in 09/1941; it has nothing at all in common with the later, similarly-named unit (parent code 4M) based at Deblin-Irena, which was raised as a new unit in 04/1942, until disbanded in 03/1943.

I hope you like the finished kit... ;-).

Regards,

Paul

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Love your the result, my friend @paulh!
    Dramatic weathering!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great job, Paul.
    Looks like she has seen a lot of flying hours.