Eduard Fw 190 A-7 & Eduard Fw 190 D-9 Diorama

Started by Keith · 140 · 2 months ago · 1/48, Axis, FW-190, Luftwaffe, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Keith said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

@gblair @johnb @fiveten - Thank you all!

Paintwork underway. The A-7 main paint is done. D-9 is quite a bit more elaborate, so will take a few days to get it all down.

A-7

D-9

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Some really nice paintwork, Keith @greenterrorz
    The pre-shading is still nicely visible.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great paint job, my friend @greenterrorz!

• Profile Photo

Thank you both as usual!

Made more progress on my Fw 190D-9. Definitely the most elaborate paint scheme I’ve done so far. Still need to do a bit of NMF on the bottom:

Only 1 photo exist of this aircraft, so hard to say exactly how accurate the colors are. I mimicked Eduard’s recommendations so far:

• Profile Photo

Fantastic paint job, my friend @greenterrorz!
    Your chosen scheme is great!

• Profile Photo

Another update: NMF work on the bottom done. First time I’ve ever done anything with a NMF. I used Alclad White Aluminum over Alclad Gloss Black. I’ll be interested in applying weathering techniques to enhance the details a bit.

• Profile Photo

NMF looks awesome, my friend @greenterrorz!

• Profile Photo

The upper camouflage and NMF look great, Keith @greenterrorz
    Did you apply the upper scheme free handed?

• Profile Photo

Thank you - @fiveten

@johnb Appreciate the kind words. Yeah, all the camo is free hand. I thought it would give a more realistic look after reviewing reference photos of other Fw 190s. Was my first stab at free hand work. I’m usually a stickler for masking haha.

• Profile Photo

Impressive free hand airbrushing, Keith @greenterrorz
    What mixing rate and air pressure did you use to get this nice sharp demarcation line without overspray.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thank you, John!

All non metallic paints are Tamiya XF-line that I mixed to resemble the appropriate RLM designations. All Tamiya paint is mixed 1:1 with their acrylic thinner.

Airbrush is a Iwata Eclipse HP-CS with 0.35mm needle. I ran around 15 PSI.

• Profile Photo

I might add that I also get very close with the airbrush. I can share a video of my painting it if you’d like. It will be at roughly 10x speed though since the camo work took roughly 2 hours lol

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

It’s been a while since I’ve checked in here. I have not been active on Imodeler for almost a month. Life gets in the way of the hobby once in a while.

Wow ! You have done a fantastic job with the painting. I’m VERY impressed with how well it turned out.

I have a larger 1/18 scale Dora that is made by Forces of Valor ( I think) and it has the same markings.

These late war Luftwaffe subjects are so cool. You’re nailing it. Keep it going and I look forward to seeing your next steps.

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

@lgardner - thank you my friend.

I chose this scheme because of how unusual it is haha. Hoping to get both planes done by next week and the diorama underway.