Eduard Fw 190 A-7 & Eduard Fw 190 D-9 Diorama

Started by Keith · 46 · 3 months ago · 1/48, Axis, FW-190, Luftwaffe, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Keith (@greenterrorz)
    This is looking great. These are going to be amazing. especially in the diorama setting you have picked out for it.

Pedro said he would contact the Editor to see if it is possible to have it posted in the LW group as well. We will keep you posted, and thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

@greenterrorz
    @lgardner

Keith I had a talk with Martin, our editor here and he mentioned that you need to request the change. I’ll send you pm explaining this right up

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

@johnb @fiveten @gblair @brithebuilder - Thank you all for the compliments, I’m glad you’re following along!

@tcinla - You are 100% about fiddly. The D-9 is proving to be quite a challenge… For some reason when I purchased the kit, I had thought it was a “new tool/new parts” which made me assume it would be straight forward. I should have done more research.

@holzhamer @lgardner - Thank you both for assisting in getting this moved to a more appropriate section. I messaged @editor this morning, so hopefully should be moved before too long.

So over the past week, I got the nose mounted gun bay completed for the D-9. I painted all the metal parts with a range of Alclad paints.

Photo while still open:

Photos after joining two sections together:

Thanks again for the feedback and compliments everyone! Hopefully I’ll get to the engine for the A-7 in a few nights.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent job, my friend @greenterrorz!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Spiros is right, very nice colours there

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Wow. This is an incredible project. I’m simply blown away by the amount of detail you have put into it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent work on the gun compartment, Keith @greenterrorz

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Your attention to detail is amazing, Keith (@greenterrorz), and has yielded some great results. The various tones you have gotten here are very well done.

• Profile Photo

Thank you all @fiveten @lgardner @johnb @gblair @holzhamer.

The editor was able to successfully move this post to the Luftwaffe GB category. Thanks Pedro and Louis for helping me out!

So for the D-9 I was wondering if anyone knows of a really abnormal paint scheme that has a decal set available? I enjoy doing things out of the norm

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

@greenterrorz

Not sure what abnormal might mean in this case, but the Dora is quite fertile for different camo styles and RLM shades used in them.

The most colourful, and modelled to boredom imo, are the JV44 protection staffel, AKA the Papagei Stafell.

You can find lots of variations within production batches and not forgetting JG Reich Defense bands.

Here’s a depiction of a rather unusual machine of I/JG2- source let-warplanes.com

I recommend you try to find photos of the real plane you want to build since often those drawings (including decal suggestion) are not entirely accurate. Good luck with your choice

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

I'm with you, Keith (@greenterrorz), as I am always looking for something a little different to do. I suspect we have the same problem: when I find an unusual paint scheme to do, I can't find the model or the decals. When I have a model, then the decals and unusual paint scheme are missing. It is hard to bring the model, the paint scheme, and decals together all at one time. Good luck.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer - that one looks awesome!

Finding the decals is the hardest part. Majority of AM decals are for the more common looking paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

G’day Keith (@greenterrorz),

Having looked at a lot of D-9s, I would say that the difficulty is finding a ‘normal’ scheme, as in the official camouflage directive.

The JaPo books are the best source for understanding the differences between factories and the evolution over time.

All their profiles are based on, and accompanied by, photo(s) of the aircraft in question.

White 16 above is in vol 2, based upon 2 photos, and pretty much agrees with the above profile.

Their assessment is the upper wing and tail were painted overall RLM 83 or 81 and then painted with 76.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great that your build thread has been moved to our "Luftwaffe" GB, my friend @greenterrorz! I agree on our friend's @holzhamer camo suggestion: it's unusual and looks awesome!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

This project is looking better and better every time I catch up on it.

As for decals for the D-9. For White 16, do the photos show if the numbers have a thin black outline? If so then Kits World has a decal sheet with that type of white numeral along with Gruppe and JG unit insignia - KW48186.