Eduard Wespen Bf 110F, Russia in the Summer of 1942

Started by Walt · 50 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf110, Eduard, Luftwaffe, model, Wespen
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Holidays impacted time to build, plus am taking time to learn Adobe Illustrator to learn how to do drawing for decals. I did some more fitting and finally glued the nacelles to each wing. Actually all-in-all the fit wasn't bad, I masked off the seams and put a little Tamiya putty in them, I little sanding and they will be fine. I almost always mask my seams when I putty, so that I don't smear it to areas that don't need it. I actually reduces the work and the damage to the surface detail around where you are working.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Nice puttying, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Masking around the puttied area really helps.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Walt - @luftwaffe-birdman - When you get to the nose, you will find that the upper part is a bit shorter than the lower - not much but enough to notice. Wat I did was glue them together so they fit at the front, and then sanded the rear to all be the same length. Like I said, it's not much, but it is enough to notice when assembling. Once the nose is on the rest of the fuselage, no one will notice the half a millimeter or so difference in length. I think this stems from them designing the nose to be opened. If you do that, then you don't ave to worry.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Puttying is not the nicest thing about modelling, at least this is my opinion, but you did a great job here, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo

Started sanding the engine nacelles to the wings, pretty good lost a little detail in the scribed panel lines because they are so fine, but should be able to get them back. Heeding warning about the fit of the nose to the fuselage, I snipped them from the sprue, and test fit. Honestly not bad at all. The fit is definitely not Tamiya like, but with some cleaning up of the parts and dry fitting you can see here in a taped up dry fit. Not bad.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Solid progress, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

The nose fit does not look bad at all, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Great work on the nacelles as well.

• Profile Photo

I glued the nose together and put it on, the fit is not great, but not terrible either. Most of the issues seem to be where I didn't get the fuselage halves aligned in front of the cockpit. I have four more of these kits in my stash, and am really using this one as a learning vehicle for future builds. I think it will turn out okay, far from perfect but okay. I should have paid more attention to Tom, @tcinla, regarding the nose upper being shorter. It is clearly evident in the pictures here.

The fit of the tail was exceptional I glued it in place and the fit was snug enough that is aligned nicely and held its shape while the glue set. No putty at all needed here.

• Profile Photo

Good progress, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    A pity about the nose, engineering of this kit should have been done much better by Eduard.
    For sure you will tackle this differently on the others you still have in stash.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Great treatment of the mismatch, as well!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Made some progress over the week. I glued the wings on and with a little work the fit was quite nice. I don't think I will be using any putty here. I put the bomb racks on the wings and fuselage and am pretty close to done with the main build I have to finish up the canopy and glue it on, and I think I will be ready for paint here also.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking a lot smoother now Walt.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

She looks very smooth from here, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Looking forward to the paint session.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I haven't totally forgotten this kit, I worked on the canopy interior and glued on the two permanently closed parts. I started applying the kit supplied masks and I have to say that these masks are awesome. The fit is PERFECT so far. Of course when you designed the kit it is easier to engineer the masks but really the fit is stellar.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.