Focke-Wulf Fw190-A8, Airfix, 1/72

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 122 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

A couple of months ago I was pleantly surprised to receive a wonderful gift from Bernard @lis

It was the Airfix (A01020A) Focke-Wulf Fw190-A8 in 1/72 scale. Besides this great kit, Bernard included several extras as well. A masking sheet for the upper surface camouflage scheme and a decal sheet with lots of various marking options. I have still not decided which one I will choose. Also a nice set of Eduard masks was added to this.

Unpacking the Airfix kit reveals some nicely detailed parts.

I already started with cleaning some of the interior parts and painting them dark grey green. Fitting of the cockpit parts was very good.

This is valid for the upper and lower wing sections as well. Machine guns do have to be mounted at that same moment which makes the further build a bit scary with those barrels and pitot tube sticking out.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Another excellent entry of the equally excellent gift from our friend @lis, my friend @johnb. Great progress, too!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 4 months ago:

Fantastic! I’m glad that You enjoy kit!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 months ago:

1/72 scale models have come a long way from the 1960's (or even the 1990's). Arma Hobby's newest releases are wonders to behold. This looks like a nice kit John (@johnb). Premounting guns and antennas is always a challenge. Sometimes you can pin them and install them later. But 1/72 scale guns a pretty small diameter and it would be a trick to do so. Looking good so far.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

@lis, thanks a lot, Bernard. I will do my to get the most out of your beautiful gift.

@clipper, thank you, Carl. Comparing those kits with the first 1/72 ones I build many years ago, there is a huge difference in favor of the current ones.

• Profile Photo

Continued the work on the interior. Decals are applied as is the gunsight.

In my eagerness to get work done on the wings, I forgot to add one piece in the lower section of the wing. Unfortunately the wing halves were glued already.

Ofcourse not a big issue but I would have been easier doing it the other way around.

• Profile Photo
    John Truby said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Nice progress so far, John. @johnb

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looking good John.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Detail looks really good for a 1/72 model, John (@johnb). It is coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @johnb! I belong to the "Always Forgetting Something" Club 🤭, happens to almost all my builds 😄

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

@jdtruby, thank you, John

@kalamazoo, thanks, Allan

@gblair, thank you, George. Airfix did quite well to detail this small kit nicely.

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. Luckily in most cases it can still be resolved.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Mounted the rail for the fuel tank. As you can see, I already knocked off one gun barrel. Masking tape is now applied over the others and the pitot tube to protect them.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very Good work! I’m glad that You enjoy kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

@lis, thank you, Bernard. Absolutely enjoying it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice progress and good safety measures, my friend @johnb!