Hermann Graf's Fw-190A-5/U7 "Mosquito killer"

Started by Tom Cleaver · 8 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hermann Graf was the first Jagdwaffe pilot to be credited with 200 victories; these were all on the Eastern Front, scored over August 4, 1941 and September 16, 1942. Following this, he was taken off operations and put in command of the Luftwaffe fighter training unit in southern France. He was then put in charge of a special unit - Jagdgruppe 50 (J.Gr. 50) -tasked with stopping the Mosquito raids.

Graf flew two Fw-190s in this role: an A-4 and an A-5. The A-5 was originally a standard "light fighter" without outer cannons. Graf had the airplane modified to Fw-190A-5/U7 using an Umrüst-Bausätze kit to install compressors and provide increased high-altitude performance; this was easily identified by the compressor air intakes on either side of the cowling. This was meant to solve the problem of the drop-off in performance above 23,000 feet. The adaptation was developed for Fw-190s that were used to intercept Mosquitos. The airplane was also armed with the 20mm MG-FF cannon in the outboard position.

Graf never scored a Mosquito, though two of the pilots in the special group did. J.Gr.50 was turned into a field-test unit for weapons to knock down 4-engine bombers, and was the first to use the W.Gr. 21 rockets in combat in the summer of 1943.

Graf's Fw-190 has frequently ended up on decal sheets, but never with complete detail until Lifelike Decals released "Fw-190 Part 3" which had both his airplanes and detailed research on their layouts at various points in their career associated with the changes in markings.

This is the final version, done with an Eduard Fw-190A-5 kit using the resin parts from the "Jabo" limited edition for the intakes, and a 4-cannon lower wing from an Overtrees kit.

Full review at Modeling Madness this Thursday, followed by a post with all photos here.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

190s are always cool, Tom (@tcinla). You don't see many 190s with bright colors like this.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Love the final result, @tcinla!
    Looking forward to the review tomorrow!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thursday. 🙂

I know, "I want my immediate gratification immediately!"

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Amazing result, Tom @tcinla
    That cowling is an absolute eyecatcher.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I got that same Lifelike sheet, twofold actually.
    That’s quite a unique kit Tom. I bet no one has taken 3 different “new mould” Eduard kits to build such an unique 190, as the ones Graf briefly flew. Great model!
    I still hope one day to build another one-off, the 190 A-5/U2 with (also) flamboyant markings flown by JG.11 pilot, lt.Erich Hondt

• Profile Photo
    Kits And Bits Scale Modelling said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great build mate. well done.

It always makes me laugh that the germans thought they could stop what was undoubtably the best twin engine fighter/bomber of the period. If the mosquito had of been a Luftwaffe aircraft, then allied air superiority could have been a vastly different story.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Nice one Tom!