Hobby Boss 1/48 Messerschmitt Me262 A1a

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 99 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Hobby Boss, Me262, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

After re-entering this great hobby, which I should have done many years ago, this will be my first jet aircraft.

I've chosen to start my second build for the Luftwaffe GB with the Messerschmitt Me262.

The Hobby Boss 1/48 Me262/A-1a/U5 (No.80373 year 2011) representing aircraft V355, the only one built with 6 cannons.

I do however have the intention to choose for another version/variant because I'm not attracted to those two additional cannons.

The kit has the nose cone for the standard 4 canon available.

Therefore I will search for a good set of decals.

Already have a masking set and Eduard PE seatbelt set available.

The high number of parts available in the kit look nice and are pretty detailed.

First will start with a good reading of the manual and search for an attractive scheme and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great choice of subject! What's the accuracy of this model like, though? I found many Hobby Boss models to be pretty inaccurate.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Another amazing entry, my friend @johnb! Looks pretty detailed.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to this @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    Istvan Havril said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great choice John, one of my favourite planes. The Hobby Boss kit is really good and enjoyable.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@skyraider3D - The HB 262s are great. Among their very best.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@johnb - read my review of doing the photo-recon 262, outside of the nose details, everything else is applicable to your kit.

Eagle Editions decals has some very good 262 decal sheets.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

G'day John (@johnb),
    I'm looking forward to this build.
    If it were me, I'd build the 6 gun nose, but then I do want to build all the Me 262 variants.
    What ever your choice of markings, I'm expecting your usual high quality build.

Ronnie (@skyraider3d),
    I know John saw this, but you can see a comparison of the Dragon, Tamiya and Hobby Boss Me 262s in the simultaneous builds I did last year: https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/three-me-262s/

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to follow this one John. I may have some spare Tamiya decals from another build - I'll PM you later @johnb.

• Profile Photo

@skyraider3d, Thanks Ronnie, as mentioned by Tom Clever @tcinla, Michael Turner @michaelt and Istvan Havril @havrilistvan, it looks like that this build will be a pleasure to do.

Michael @michaelt, I definitely remember your triple Me262 build, which turned equally beautiful, and am going to use your build thread while building mine.

Tom @tcinla, thanks for the info, I will for sure read your photo recon build.

Thanks in advance Erik @airbum for looking into your decal store.

Spiros @fiveten, George @chinesegeorge, thanks, did some glueing of interior parts today and the fitting is great so far. Parts are also nicely detailed.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks @johnb, @michaelt (great comparison article!) and @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great choice, John. I am sure you will finish it beautifully. I have several versions of the 262 in my stash. I may do the Trumpeter version in 1/32 soon. I am really looking forward to your interpretation of this aircraft for inspiration. Seems like Hobby Boss gives you some impressive detail in 1/48.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

John, @johnb
    This is a great model to build as part of our ever growing Luftwaffe group. I have most of the 1/48 scale versions that Hobby Boss has molded, and like you I really enjoyed Michael Turner's triple 262 build journal. @michaelt

The 262 is one of my favorite WW2 German aircraft, right behind the FW-190 and Bf-109 in that order...

I will definitely be watching this one ! Sign me up and I'll bring the popcorn ... Who knows ? You guys just might entice me to drag out the two 1/32 scale new tool Revell 262 kits I have. One is the standard single seat fighter, while the other is the two seat night fighter version.

Thanks for starting another Luftwaffe build for us to enjoy. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Colin @coling, just had some parts glued and painted and it looks nicely detailed and fits also precisely.
    @lgardner, thanks my friend, I'm happy to be able to create another build for this group. Reading about the Hobby Boss molds, than this one should be a pleasure to work on.

• Profile Photo

Not so much progress this week as I would like, but like many of you, life sometimes takes over and is not going like you want it to be.

I did some profile checking and till now I'm tending towards building the yellow 5 from JG7. This would mean that I will not build the six cannon variant.

Furthermore I made a start with the cockpit and painted it RLM66. Some other interior parts for the gun bay compartment are painted RLM02.

Hope to make some more progress this weekend.