Luftwaffe Flakturm ca. 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 205 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Just now, I took my badger 100 and airbrushed the primed elevator cap. I added a first set of streaks of ocre (Matt #15 Revell) and then white (Matt #5 Revell) for pre-shading. After that followed a mix of brown #84 and stone grey #47 also matte. The last cote was added very lightly to let the shading come through. This is the result:

Some close-ups of the surface structure

This mimics cast and partly oxidized steel, I watched some pictures for that before, like this one:

The last run will be some dullcote satin varnish (acrylic) and then a wash. Will see if the end result requires to add some pigments as well.

I am pleased with the results, what do you guys think?

Happy modeling! Michel.

• Profile Photo

And here some in daylight, mind the texture...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Your paint skills are superb as well, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Outdoor shots are showing the oxidation effects even better.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Superb result indeed, @michel-verschuere!
    Love the result!
    Gute Nacht mein Freund!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb and @fiveten for the follow-up.

This is my first attempt to dry-fit what I have: Platform, Flak 40 Zwilling, base and elevator cap. I will glue the platform only after the doors to the ammo storage have been fitted. This gives already an idea.

It should look a bit like the original. Here are some pictures:

This gives an idea, will now turn to the final paintwork on the Zwilling. As for the armor cap, I will think a bit more what to put inside. My references on the interior of the elevator are somewhat scarce. Your help is appreciated. Must do some research I think!

Happy modeling (sorry for the workbench background).

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looking impressive coming together, @michel-verschuere!
    I can only imagine the completed model...

• Profile Photo

Superb modelling, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Very impressed by all the work you already did, the wooden floor is exceptional.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    This looks INCREDIBLE ! It's all coming together now... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 7 months ago:

All looking really nice, Michel. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Wow Michel! The iron cast casemate is a gem on its own. Brilliant work, from the 3D printing up to the painting and weathering. The rather uneven surface is spot on, and like you say, using diluted putty (I’ve mixed Tamiya putty with acetone in past projects) makes that look easy and realistically done.
    This “little” project of yours truly deserves more exposure out there, thumbs up!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb @lgardner @gwskat @holzhamer thanks for the comments my friends! No progress these last few days but will keep you posted!

@holzhamer I do feel this elevator cap is a "model-in-a-model" as they say. I'm sure most of you have had something like a sub assembly of a cockpit that made you feel this way! It's only part of the assembly but still a point of focus for the builder. Glad you like it!

Thanks for checking in!

• Profile Photo

Today I focused on the interior of the elevator cap, for which I had only a few pictures. This are two of these:

There is a tablet bed for fused shells elevated up from the interior magazine down in the flak tower. From what I could figure out in Michael Fedorowicz' book, the elevator was based on a chain, lifting the 128mm shells up in standing position. They were turned horizontally automatically just before they were placed on the tablet bed for pick-up by the flak crew. You can see this in the last picture. Below the tablet bed on the top, there is a spent shell container too, it is open in this picture.

I had to build everything from scratch. I use a transparent acrylate box into which I install the tablet bed and the spent shell container. What I did is by no means accurate because I did not have accurate plans or drawings. I just condemned myself doing this guesswork the moment I decided to make the main door of the elevator cap workable... This is the curse of a scratch builder I guess...

Here is the result, I placed it next to the cap and to both a readied and empty shell from Schatton Modellbau. I hope you can make something of it that looks like in the pictures. I fixed the tablet bed and casing with PVA glue to dry fit before I install them inside the elevator cap tomorrow. To beef the detail up a bit, I used resin nuts and bolts as in the picture (grey)

I hope you like it so far. Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo

This is truly superb job, my friend @michel-verschuere! You interpreted very well the available pics, as to come up with the best possible result!

• Profile Photo

You keep on impressing us, Michel @michel-verschuere.
    It looks amazing.

• Profile Photo

Finished that one! I painted the interior of the elevator cap grey with the A/B and mounted the finished part inside the cap with super glue. Apart from some final weathering, this is finished. Here are some pictures:

Hope you like it!
    Next step are the doors to the ammo dumps around the tower. Will require some cutting and prepping of styrene sheet. Making progress!

Take care and happy modeling!
    Michel.