Luftwaffe Flakturm ca. 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 205 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Michel,
    This is a good solid foundation for your AAA guns ! This is perfection and the first thing that jumps out at me is just how nice the circle cut is on the upper portion. I have tried to cut similar sized circular holes in wood before, and it is not very easy to do unless you have access to a milling machine.

It also matches up nicely with the pictures you posted earlier.

Well done my friend. Very well done indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten @piet @airbum @lgardner @johnb @holzhamer for your likes. Regarding the curve in the MDF: Yes it was a challenge but I tried anyway. I used a whipsaw to do it. The result was not 100% accurate because I cut 5 layers at the same time of between 8 and 12 mm MDF. So the lower part of the blade bent in the curves. I corrected that with a strip of 0.5mm styrene which bends evenly under strain. This rectified the bend and the end result then needed some filler.

I will come with an update on the Flak soon, the base is now setting with filler so tomorrow I'll use the sanding machine on it again.

Thanks folks!

• Profile Photo

I worked the base further, so did I with the gun assembly. Pictures on the gun will follow tomorrow; I'll take them in daylight.

The concrete texture was achieved by covering the sanded model in blackboard paint from the rattle can (black color, of course). I then pre-shaded a bit using white colored primer. After that set, I mixed some grey and white acrylics to obtain a light grey concrete finish. I applied a light coat to let the dark and white shading come through.

This is a picture of the surface texture. I like the result so far. The base is now 80% finished in the main structure. The center wood platform is next and then the details.

Hope you like it!

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The concrete effect is excellent, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Absolutely like the concrete effect, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Looking forward to the pictures of the Flak.

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures from the Krupp Werke in Belgium.

Assembling the gun must be done carefully. I opted for two metal turned barrels from RB Model because the kit parts come in halves and therefore require sanding to get the seam out of the way. I am not that good with sanding round parts, so I decided to get the metal equivalent instead.

Utmost care must be taken with alignment. Basically, there are two assemblies for each gun as each others' mirror image. In case there is a minute difference in angles, it will show in the end result in the form of both barrels being millimeters out of line near the muzzle (the barrels are 20 cm each, so one degree implies 0.4 mm deflection, in case you can build it maintaining that one-degree accuracy.

In this sense, the kit is both a challenge and a curse. But I accepted it the day I started assembling!
    Here is the assembly of the rightmost gun this far. Will finish this part and then turn to the leftmost one.

I also continued on the base front by adding some more layers of acrylics in ever lighter tones so to mimic the tonal color variations of the concrete. I also managed to add layered shading to the sides, there where the concrete would be poured and wooden forms imprinted horizontally on the sides, but more on that later.

Thanks to @johnb and @fiveten for checking in!
    Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great progress, wonderful research and looking fantastic! Cannot wait to see it completed.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    I have a hard time getting the seams to look good on a two piece barrel like these kit provided parts are. It seems I can never get them to look quite as round as they should after the sanding or filing work has been done. I think it was a great idea you had to go with an aluminum turned barrel. I have used these metal barrels on some of my armor builds before, and I found out the hard way that paint will easily chip off them if the bare metal is not primed first.

I'm guessing the inward cant of the barrels on the real thing was done to converge the fire ? I have read where some pilots would have their wing mounted weapons bore sighted to converge at different ranges, to maximize the impact on the intended target, or to spread out the chances of obtaining a "hit" depending on their ideas.

I think that Gary has perfectly stated what I am thinking too. This is great !

• Profile Photo

@gwskat @lgardner thanks for checking in. Regarding the boresighting, these weapons had enough velocity to take the 26kg shell to 30.000 ft (10 km) height. I think they were installed completely parallel. The inter distance was about 2m and there are few manned aircraft - especially bombers - that have a smaller cross section. The guidance of the gun was electric, via an analog computer. The signal changed the deflection and azimuth and also the fuse timer. The convergence of the gun was not one of the settings. In dogfights - that usually happen within a couple of hundred meters - this is different of course and aircraft as you mentioned had their guns converging to a point ahead of the aircraft by a few hundred meters.

The main reason why the Flak 40 128mm gun evolved from single barrel to twin barrel versions such as these is the firing rate that roughly doubled on a twin. These heavy guns were almost exclusively installed on Flak towers near or in industrial centers or major cities (Hamburg, Berlin and Vienna had them). The advantage being that these were the targets of bomber formations and therefore the gunnery could be more accurate because deflection and azimuth were quite stable during the final bomb run as opposed to fly-by situations for Flak gunners. With double the firing rate compared to the single barrel Flak 40 these twins almost doubled the hit probability to up to 25% maximum.

Thanks for your words folks!

• Profile Photo

Love how the gun is taking shape, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Good idea to use metal instead of plastic for the barrels, Michel @michel-verschuere
    They look much more realistic in this way.
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo

So here goes the not-so-boring process of bore sighting the gun (outlining the geometry).
    For this model, getting all the angles and dimensions right is key. The model invites the onlooker to check on parallel gun outline and elevation. I though for quite some time how to do this best. I have no special equipment like advanced metering devices or even a laser but I think I'll manage. To check the gun shoulder outline vis-a-vis the slide bed, I attached the models left and right to each other using a piece of styrene tube. Here is how that looks like:

Like that, I could verify the shoulders' lining and the perpendicularity/parallel of all angles. Looks good for now and all is setting.
    I did the same for the barrels and breech blocks, you can see that on the left of the picture. Here are two more on the outlining of the slide beds:

Will continue somewhat and keep you posted.

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Since I decided to use metal barrels, the mechanism offered with the kit enabling the guns to be elevated is too weak. The kit parts consist of two little gears that are to be assembled onto an axle with an inner joint. It would be virtually impossible for this weak plastic joint to withstand the torque of the slanted barrels, especially not at lower elevations. I therefore engineered this part and drilled holes to enable a brass tube to be inserted, forming a strong core that does not easily bend.

Here are some pictures. I will now turn toward the final assembly but must see what parts can be glued already so that the individual barrels and breach assemblies can still be disassembled for the painting. I also used a small Eduard PE set to detail the control boxes, you can also see that in the picture.

Hope all is well with you guys!

• Profile Photo

I am really impressed with your skills, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Some really serious modelling, Michel @michel-verschuere
    This will be an awesome Flak.