Luftwaffe Flakturm ca. 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 205 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Assembly resembling the infamous snowball rolling downhill. . . . One thing leading to the next. Now where have we seen that before? Great stuff Michel!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Worked further on the Flak base. This really is a beautiful kit - if given time and sanding sticks, in that order - the research done on this beast is astounding. There is a final 1-1 version in the Aberdeen proving grounds in Maryland, I guess Takom mist have been there taking a gazillion pictures...

This kit dates from 2015, I got mine last year but now it seems sold-out. Could be this is because the dealers face the shipping crisis worldwide, so kits made in Asia (China) no longer reach us because of the extreme rates on 40ft containers currently, who knows.

I decided to put a full metal core through the elevation drive shaft, seemed like this was the easiest way to make sure everything was lined up all right. Here is where I am at, should be strong and bullet-proof!

Take care folks!
    Michel.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks impressive, Michel @michel-verschuere

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    Very impressive ! I'm sure this replacement metal part will be more than adequate, and plenty strong. Aren't these the same 128 MM cannons that were installed on the Jagdtiger's ? Both types, Porsche and Henschel ?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great indeed, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Yes in fact it's the same barrel, only the powder charge and shell will be different (AP instead of Fregmentation rounds with Flak) and then the recoil mechanism will be more compact. But essentially the same gun as for the Jagdtiger. There, they did not call it Flak (Flugzeug AbwehrKanone) but PaK Panzer Abwehr Kanone) 44, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.8_cm_Pak_44

• Profile Photo

The Flak guns were installed on top of the concrete tower but the walkways around them were wood.

For anyone here having tried to mimic wood appearance in models, the fine texture of it is really a challenge, as you will agree. There are decals with wooden appearance or painting techniques involving acrylics or oils. I just thought that the best wat to mimic wood would be ...
    Wood, yes.

Here is how I did it: I took a cardboard 1mm base and drew the outline of the platform on it. I then cut 3mm balsa 1mm strips and gradually glued them onto the cardboard. Every time a section is completed, I leave it to set under some weight.

And here is the fine structure in close-up:

Looks good. When this has gone full circle, I will cover it in dullcote and sand fine. This will be the natural look, I won't apply any paint on it. I counted 40 strips per section times 16 sections = 640 strips. That's about the part count for the kit itself...

I hope I will have some more time later today to work on the Flak.

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo

This looks amazing, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Very realistic look with the balsa wood.

• Profile Photo

Great idea to use actual wood, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Worked a bit further on the Flak today, there are intricate parts to this kit, including PE. Overall the fit is excellent although there are some seems here and there that require sanding. As for the Eduard PE set #36329: I managed to add all detail so far, though some of the bending and twisting of the PE was a bit of a challenge. I have a bending tool that I made myself, but I also found parts that had to be bent circular so in the end I decided to stick them to a drill with tape and then roll them over the drill. This worked out quite all right!

Here is a picture of the - still disassembled - parts of the superstructure. Since this is natural color, you can see where the PE went. I hope to be able to assemble the gun tomorrow.

As for the base: The wooden platform is finished, took me several sessions across three days. I applied a dullcote layer to it and sanded it flat, after that followed another dullcote layer. It is setting now. With a bit of luck, I should be able to finish that one tomorrow.

Will keep you posted! Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo

You are doing fantastic work on this Flak, Michel @michel-verschuere
    The PE makes it very detailed.

• Profile Photo

I agree with @johnb, @michel-verschuere!
    You are doing a fantastic job!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Finally cut-out the wooden platform and dry fitted it to the tower. Here it is.

Because I glued the strips of balsa onto the cardboard oultline using PVA glue, there is some warping but that is not an issue since the platform will be glued fixed after the job is finished. The lining of the platform will be with strips of styrene which should look like steel frame elements (which they were). In reality, the platform was raised somewhat with respect to the concrete surface to allow for drainage.

I will continue now with the assembly of the gun and brief you later!

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo

Looks superb, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Fits and looks fantastic Michel @michel-verschuere