Luftwaffe Flakturm ca. 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 205 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Here are some pictures for the first dry-fit of the gun support. I could not finish the beast because the drive shaft to the elevation mechanism requires careful fitting of a plastic cap that will center that axle for generations to come. I used instant glue but want to wait for everything to set before ultimate assembly.

I did not attach the compensators yet, that is for later for the knobs that enable them to move are rather fragile so I prefer to stress them only once.

Like this, you already get an idea of the size of this thing. It's complicated looks are also appealing to me. Certainly one of the most complex models I ever built!

Have a nice evening!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Awesome work it is, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Perfectionism all over.

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone, here is the first dry fit of the main gun arrangements. I have not added the gunners' stand nor the fuse setters and loading mechanism but wanted to check the outline of the gun first.

I noticed that the metal barrels would be way to heavy for the - poly cap based - fixture for the elevation shaft. Therefore I modified it again, using a long 2mm screw I had in the spares' box. Now the shaft is aligned and it is possible to add tension to the elevation shaft mechanism ex-post. In the absence of that, the guns would have returned to the depressed position either immediately or while slowly creeping down. There was not really an option, so the one thing I don't like is the little screwhead-washer arrangement as it is not on scale but there was not really much of an option.

I am pleased with the outline, seems that the barrels are in the same elevation and are quite parallel. I did not glue the barrels fixed for I need to cleanse them with alcohol prior to painting.

Hope you like it!

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Awesome, Michel (@michel-verschuere). You have been planning this one for a while. I am really looking forward to watching the rest of this build.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Complex it is indeed, but everything looks perfectly aligned.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

You are a true master, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    Looking forward to this super project's progress!

• Profile Photo

This evening, I passed over one hour solving mechanics problems and documenting them here. The good news is it was not quantum mechanics!

Throughout the day I thought about how to solve the elevation shaft issue for good. The last version (2.0, there was a 1.0 too) was not optimal. The screw I employed was not the best choice and chances were that at some point it would loosen. Therefore I thought of version 3.0 and implemented it.

You can see the assembly in this picture:

I used a 16mm M3 screw this time that passes through a short 11mm piece of aluminum tube without tension. It then enters the first gear for a distance of about 4.5 mm and I tightened it. Then follows a 2mm brass tube for the remainder of the length as a core upon which styrene tubes and the second gear ensure optimal distance between the gears and the side panels. I managed to complete this to an accuracy of less than half a millimeter, so this will do I think. I have no special equipment other than a ruler and a pair of trained 45-year-old eyes.

I dry fitted the guns. The first one clamps in against the gear, the second one ducks still because the core is not glued yet, this is for tomorrow. I Think this will be the permanent solution to the problem so actual building of the gun can resume.

I hope I'm not boring you with this, but without this technical problem resolved you can not use the metal barrels AND have the elevation workable. The backside is that the screwhead is visible but I am thinking about covering it so it blends in in fact with the model.

Take care folks and happy modeling!

• Profile Photo

Fantastic, Michel @michel-verschuere
    First of all, you are absolutely not bothering us with all those technical issues.
    I really love to read how you solve them with precision mechanics.

• Profile Photo

Ingenious engineering, my friend @michel-verschuere! This is some serious precision job!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb @fiveten @gblair for the encouragement. I now fixed the drive shaft for the elevation. The second gear is still loose but that will change when I line the barrels out. I already thought about the deflection mechanism, the kit version also not being strong enough to take the weight of the two aluminum barrels.

The next picture shows the smorgasbord on my desk right now, I completed the main assembly tonight. Tomorrow I hope I can add the final PE parts to the pedestal and then start preparing for the shadow paint job. I think I will do that with Enamel and an airbrush: The detail on this machine is so fine that any rattle-can based primer might clog certain parts, so...

I soldered the foot supports from PE, I used some flux to do the job, worked out ok and the results looks much better than the kit part. Will post a picture when its done.

Anyway, I will keep you posted folks, stay tuned. Won't be long now till the gun is ready!

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

These cannons are really starting to look the part, Michel (@michel-verschuere). I would hate to be on the receiving end of the real ones.

• Profile Photo

@gblair countless aviators of the 8th air force and bomber command were in fact, every day. As their bomb run required a stable flight for several minutes in formation, these guns wrecked havoc every single time also because their guidance was quite accurate for the era...

• Profile Photo

Great step, Michel @michel-verschuere
    A busy workbench you have there but very organized.

• Profile Photo

Those canons look very impressive already, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Very cool! The cannon do look impressive indeed.