Luftwaffe Flakturm ca. 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 205 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Cheating? 3D printing is not at all cheating when you put in all this effort Michel! - and if all the white powder in this world were made at workbenches like this it would be great 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Today I added the last of the hinges on the left side of the elevator cap. I secured it in place onto the side using a short piece of brass tube. This is now setting and next will be the work on the locking mechanism on the right side.

Looks the part I think, what do you guys think?

Happy modeling!
    Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks exactly the part, and very impressive indeed, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

A perfect copy, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Spot-on!

• Profile Photo

I like it when a plan comes together!

Today I turned to the locking mechanism of the elevator cap door. You can see that in the lower right corner of the picture below:

I needed two goes at it, the first one was not so successful so I started again. I used an M2 nut to make the locking mechanism workable. Special care had to be taken on the outlining of everything. Bit here it is. Everything is workable, you can see pictures in open and closed position.

What is left to do now is to apply green stuff for some rounding of the structure. This structure was cast steel so you can't really have sharp corners on it, unless they are machined after the casting is done. The latter action creates a rough surface that also needs attention, you can see that in the picture below:

The rounding will be done using green-stuff putty first. After that I will machine the whole structure for casting roughness.

I will continue a bit now and then post on the progress.

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo

Here I added some green stuff to smoothen corners as if the cap was casted. Hope you like!

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo

Wonderful skills, truly wonderful, my friend @michel-verschuere! Looks the part exactly!

• Profile Photo

What a great idea to create those roundings, Michel @miche-verschuere
    Awesome modelling.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great details, Michel @miche-verschuere
    This is coming along nicely. I'm enjoying following along.

• Profile Photo

One word on this post: CAST STEEL

The elevator cap I've been reposting on lately was cast and forged in steel. As some of you know, cast steel has a peculiar surface roughness that poses a particular challenge to modelers. Steel is usually cast in a negative sand mold made from a wooden or steel master form (positive = looking like the desires end result's shape). The sand let's go in certain areas, particularly in corners and therefore, a smooth sheet of plastic can never stand-in for the real cast surface.

You can get an idea about the roughness of the surface of the elevator cap in this picture

Unless in areas that were machined post casting, the roughness remains apparent.

To model this, I used a technique used by many armor modelers like me, notably for WWII Russian tank turrets that were often cast. I thinned putty (can use Tamiya putty, but I usually use car body putty) with Tamiya extra thin cement. You get a liquid mass that can be dapped onto the surface using an old brush. Mind you to use an old brush, since cleaning them after the application process is finished will require a lot of thinner and in fact doesn't pay.

I applied the putty-cement brew onto the surface, here is the result!

Happy modeling!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looks dead close to cast iron surface, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    Amazing indeed!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Michel! They look like the real thing. Just looking at the pics they appear to be very heavy.
    Once you get them painted it will be hard to differ from the real thing. Great job!

• Profile Photo

And here is the result following a light sponge sanding session and a layer of black matte primer from the rattle can!

Looks good to me! Long live cast steel, with this technique it's a piece of cake!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Unbelievable Michel @michel-verschuere
    The looks are so realistic, awesome.