Luftwaffe Paints

Started by capt. R · 44 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@faraomike
    I used Tamiya Metalics but pigmentation was to big for me. So I try Vallejo metal Color.
    https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/AK-2090-LUFTWAFFE-FIGHTER-COLOURS-1941-44-SET.html
    I found another interesting set of paints.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Lis , @lis
    I personally do not use ready-made color sets .
    I prefer to first check the aircraft I want to build to identify and document exactly its colors and features and then, based on the aircraft type and time period, I choose one by one the colors I will use.
    This of course has to do with everyone's preferences and in no case is there a rule for everyone, everyone as it is facilitated .

• Profile Photo

@faraomike Plane that the I would like to make has the main colors RLM 70, 74, 75, 76. Also RLM 04 for IFF areas on fuselage. Therefore this particular AK set seemed to be quite useful

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@lis, yes Vallejo brand Flow improver. It it essentially a curing retardant, which helps keep the paint from plumbing your airbrush. This and the thinner also work well for other water based acrylics such as MM's fading line of paints. With the MM paints, I usually double flow improver, and stick to the higher dilution percentages with the thinner.

The other note is that Vallejo paints are indeed a little bit.. "fragile". They are a softer less adhesive and don't hold up well to handling and the like as well as lacquer paints like Tamiya and Gunze. This was also mentioned by one of the previous commenters, and is worth reiterating. Of course with lacquer comes the smell.. so there's that to contend with.

Personally for me, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each paint type and utilizing both as an option will give you the widest range of color options, whether AK, Vallejo, Tamiya, Gunze , Humbrol, or any other acrylic line. Availability in your area is another factor to contend with.

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend In my local hobby store there are all brand except Gunze. recently I only used gunze paints quite successfully, apart from metallic paints being worse than vallejo metal color. I thought to test a different brand of paints (AK, Vallejo Air), but I would not like to make a qualitative leap back. Another thing is that the more complicated sets of paints dedicated to, for example, Luftwaffe, usually the store has to bring, so it is the same time to buy online.

• Profile Photo

Mr Hobby / Color is Gunze.

Many paints are hard to find at the moment, unfortunately.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I recently used MR Paint colors on an RC Sea Fury and found them to be very good. It's an acrylic that comes ready to spray right out of the bottle. Cleanup is either with their brand thinner or laquer thinner. They have color ranges for most airforces, including a full range of WWII and modern Luftwaffe. But for the most part, I'll stick to my stash of Model Master enamels until they are gone.

https://mrpaint.sk/

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend Yes I know that Mr Hobby/color is old Gunze. I used to use H-series paints, now mostly C-series paints. C series inks are not even that burdensome. I am curious if AK RC paints require a lot of room ventilation after work. I urge my hobby-shop to start selling the MR Color / Hobby brand. However, I do not want to label myself completely and I am open to new paints, because maybe I will discover a new, good quality, as was the case with Vallejo metal color. Hence so many questions that I am asking here about the different paint brands 🙂

• Profile Photo

@jetmex I heard about this brand, bun never use. I can only buy it by my e-shop mojehobby.pl

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend
    Reassure me, AK RC paints are Lacquer paints?

• Profile Photo

Judging by their site: http://akrealcolors.com/

I'd say, yes. I've never used this line though, no local availability for me, yet.

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend thank you Andrew!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I'm always amazed at the range of paints available and how many different types modellers use. For me, it's always Humbrol enamels, and largely now the Luftwaffe-specific shades. I don't have a particular process to prepare them, it's just whatever takes my mood on the day. I use either proper turps or white spirit to thin them and there's no colour you can't make from them if you want to try your own mixes. I can spray them or use a paintbrush and still get equally good results.

I appreciate what some others say about how smoothly certain paints spray over others, but if I think the contents of a tin need a shake up, then in goes the thinner, stir the contents for a few moments, put the lid on and give it a damned good shake. Decant it from the tin into a glass paint jar and if it pours in a little too thick still, I just add more thinner in small amounts and stir everything with a soft, clean paint brush until I get the consistency I think will work. My general rule is that for spraying or brush work, paint should be about the thickness of milk. Oh, and always test on an old kit before you run the risk of ruining your current masterpiece... :-).

With the Humbrol Luftwaffe-specific shades, I'd say that the maritime 'black green' is a little dark, so I aways adjust it with some of the lighter dark green shade added in; the RLM 74 dark grey shade should have a bit of a greenish tint which doesn't always come through, so I add in a little dark green if needs be, and the pale blue undersides are usually a mix of pale blue, pale grey and white until I'm happy with the shade. Also, the varnishes can be a bit hit and miss, especially the gloss varnish which, while good and does the job, can remain tacky (sticky) to the touch for days! The matt varnish occasionally has a slight 'powered white' fleck through it in some areas which only becomes noticeable after it dries in my experience. So, now I always gloss varnish with Future floor polish, and when I'm ready to dull it down, I mix the Humbrol enamel gloss and matt varnishes together - erring more to matt - and when applied over the Future, a nice dull sheen is the end result, all of which can be adjusted to suit your own preferences with a bit of practice.

Some people have said the range is more 'gloopy' than the original Humbrol enamels of yesteryear, and I'd agree, but it just means I have to thin better and perhaps apply an additional coat. If brush painting, the first couple of thin coats can look dreadful, but persevere and the tone will correct itself with each application; indeed, the 'dreadful' look can be quite helpful if you like or intend your model to look very worn. Not every aircraft looked lovely and clean after a few sorties against the enemy, and we've all seen photos of shabby looking aircraft.

I also now venture into WW1 German aircraft kits, and I can still use all the WW2 Luftwaffe shades on these kits as well, so they're easy to use and actually, the main reason for me using this range is that I like the shades and most of them can be applied straight from the tin with little if any adjustments, so across my collection, the shades become standardised whereas before, dark green and black green could sometimes turn out more lime green and grass green... those were the days prior to experimenting, clearly! 🙂

I also elect to make my own blackwash which I still struggle with on occasion, but generally, I like the effect and it saves me money buying weathering colours/powders etc in a shop.

Remember, this is your hobby, it's not a race to complete a kit to someone else's expected standards. Take time to enjoy it and experiment and never be afraid to say you got it wrong... you'll always have the chance to improve the next time. Some examples below - sprayed, brush-painted and blackwashed... happy modelling :-).

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@paulh thank you!
    About Humbrol: I have been using this brand for years, but once the quality broke down in my opinion, which I felt due to the permanently clogging areograph. I've been using the Gunze mostly lately, but I feel like trying something new. My local hobby store has, for example, AK RC.

• Profile Photo

@faraomike
    i.e. the AK RC paint is too thick already packed in the company, since it requires so much thinner?