Lukgraph 1/32 scale Focke-Wulf Fw56 ’Stösser’

Started by Paul Higgins · 34 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Focke-Wulf, Luftwaffe, Lukgraph, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Looking good, Paul. Those wings look heavy.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 3 years ago:

Hi, John... thanks for looking in. Yes, the wings are rather heavy. I'll need to be careful when fitting them. I only went and dropped the fuselage three times this afternoon! No major damage that hasn't been sorted, but I don't want to be doing that when the wing is on.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Great choice, Paul (@paulh). I am glad to see I am not the only one who drop tests my builds.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 3 years ago:

Thanks, George... much cursing and swearing was indulged in earlier, I can tell you. Some small engine pieces detached from under the cowling but as that is now permanently attached, no-one will see the missing parts. The engine assmbly started rattling about under the cowling, though, so a small amount of super glue applied through the forward intake attended to that. The only other things to need reattaching were part of the dashboard, the control stick and the entire cockpit floor, although everything on the floor stayed in situ... I suppose that was something!

I test fitted the undercarriage legs, too, and found the lower pin was loose on one of them so just spent some time correcting that. I have quite a few concerns about such small support pins being able to cope with the weight of the entire model once the wing is on. I'll need to think about a Plan B just in case. I spent some time in the afternoon printing off the unit emblem, which seems to have gone well, so that will add a splash of colour. Back to work tomorrow, so a bit of a slow-down ahead until the weekend, perhaps. Maybe I'll spend the time until then doing that old favourite 'punishment' from my early school days, writing out a hundred lines: "I must NOT drop my model kits, I must NOT drop..." You get the idea... :-).

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years ago:

Looks very good so far, Paul. An exceptionally intricate and challenging build, obviously.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 3 years ago:

Good progress! Very interested to see how this will come together. One of the more elegant parasol planes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Paul, @paulh
    I am happy that you joined our ever expanding Luftwaffe group build. It was my pleasure to send you an invitation. Thank you for posting this build.

You picked out a seldom seen and very rare plane. I don't know of too many reference pictures floating around for this aircraft. I also have never seen one of these kits built up before. The only place where I have seen this aircraft was on the pages in several books I have on the Luftwaffe.

My main concern would be the weight of the wings, and how this load is transferred to the supporting struts, and landing gear. Having wire inside the struts would definitely be a good idea. Figuring out how to get wire inside a pre formed strut will be tricky. There is a company that makes hobby sized metal, and they offer aluminum tubing with an airfoil shape. It might be a good idea to consider using a material like this for the additional strength it would offer.

The clincher is I don't know if they offer this airfoil shaped tubing in the correct size for your model. It is geared towards the RC flying type aircraft, but they do make some smaller stuff. I think the company is called K&S Tubing, (or something close to that).

Like the others have said, I too will be watching this journal for updates.

Thanks again for posting.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 12 months ago:

So, some more photos of my current build...

After applying and gloss varnishing the black undercoat, I applied the silver on top. This is the first time in many, many years I've attempted a silver finish on a kit, as opposed to a natural metal finish - many Fw56s were painted silver prior to leaving the factory. The reason, if you don't know already, for applying the black and glossing it, is that it gives tone and depth to the silver.

This worked very well, in my opinion, especially for someone who hasn't done this type of scheme for a while. There are some iffy aspects of the process which are really all my fault rather than the kit's. The main one is the need to be extra vigilant when checking the surfaces, because silver will show up every bit of debris that may have made its home on the surface of your model. When I applied the black, there were a couple of areas that needed attention, but there appear ot have been quite a few I missed out. Nothing so bad as to make me hide the model away, but let's say experience for future resin-manufactured kits in the future. One area of the kit that does require attention are the leading edges of the main wing struts. these are quite noticeably pitted with rough edges and small indents and required filler to be applied and sanded smooth very carefully once dry.

Surface detail is pretty limited but there wasn't too much on the real thing either; what there is, however, is good, especially the areas where fabric is represented. My modified undercarriage has seen the light of day, these items made from scrap pieces out of the spares box. While I acknowledge their aerodynamic benefits, I didn't really like the flared undercarriage fairings although they are well-executed as parts of the model.

I'm also pleased the legs held up when I sat the wing on top of the cabane struts to see how the weight management would go. Three of the four strut tops meet the wing with one falling short of the mark, but it could've been worse. That issue will get attended to in due course; the wing does sit at a slight slant, so I expect the adjustment to the offending strut will bring it into alignment. The delicate attachment pins at the ends of the undercarriage legs have also held out well with the weight applied to them.

Yesterday evening, I manage to get the yellow lower wing tips and the fuselage band applied. A feint overspray of yellow onto the silver necessitated a bit of tidying-up work, but seems to have come good. Then earlier today, an application of Future and once dry, the unit codes and national markings were added; my homemade unit emblems disintegrated on contact with the water I dipped them into, a sure sign that I hadn't coated it enough with clear laquer. The replacements are going through the lacquering process as I type and should be ready to apply later this evening. Their red and white colours, along with the yellow markings on the airframe, will give the model some colour to breack up the overall silver finish. All markings are from the spares box, although from their appearance, I would imagine the kit-offered items are very good in their own right.

So, over the next few days, I will hopfeully get the wing attached and securely supported by the main wing struts, and complete the minimal amount of rigging and some of the other sundry processes. I hope you like these images of the build so far.

Regards,

Paul

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Seriously great progress, Paul.
    Like you said yourself, the silver did indeed come on beautifully.
    Looking forward to the next steps.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Paul thanks or the earlier responses - I'm even more tempted now! Although I have to say the quality of your build has sparked my interest in one of these kits way more than the news about how they are packaged. Looking outstanding!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow you don't waste time! Impressive progress!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 11 months ago:

John, Paul, Ronnie... thanks for your comments. I hope to have more photos for posting soon. I think I've got the wing on the way I want it now - several attempts and some tidying up to do but off to start that now... ;-).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

That's s some amazing progress, Paul @paulh! The silver came out exceptionally, as well as the yellow.
    Looking forward to more pics!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Might I join in on the praise of the paintjob. It looks nice on my screen, and the all-silver is made a lot more interesting by the markings. You seem to have eliminated the dust nicely. Now, I shall be looking forward to your homemade decals too.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Spiros/Eric... thanks for your comments :-). I now have the final set of photos for this build. I think they show a decent finish, but a few points of note.

This is my first attempt at a large-scale resin kit; I think the model itself is rather good, bearing in mind the issues than can arise with resin - the gap along the fuselage seam was more rough than I expected and there were noticeable depressions and rough edges along the leading edges of some of the struts, which were the most awkward areas to remedy. Several struts had to be shortened to get a good fit, but I suppose rather that, than have them too short. The struts that sit on top of the 'V' struts were, in my opinion, way too thick, being much the same design and dimension as the cabane struts. Photos show that they were actually smoe slender, so I repleced them with stretched plastic substitutes. I would also have liked Lukgraph to have better defined the location points for the struts to fit into the undersde of the wing, particularly the points for the cabane struts.

On a positive note, the external surface detail is very nice; the MGs are nicely produced and the overall appearance of the model when finished is rather smart. I elected to modify the undercarriage from wheels to skis, the latter being made up of plastic card and scrap plastic; the exposed legs were made from parts in my spares box. I managed at the second attempt, to get a good representation of the unit emblem printed off, where the first attempt had bled out on contact with water. I think there must be a threshold for the amount of clear lacquer to be applied to homemade transfers before the motif is securely held in place. I sprayed the lacquer slightly closer so that the amount was slightly more on the surface of the transfer, which had the desired effect.

There is some minimal rigging to be completed on this model and that was done without any problem; the exhast pipes were then added, with those on the (R) side almost flush with the cowling line and those on the (L) side protuding noticeably from the cowling; the small access hatches into the cockpit were attached in the open position so that viewing the interior is made easier. The one-piece propellor finishes the model off nicely.

I have to be honest and say, if I were to find an image of a non-silver camouflaged aircraft fitted with skis, I may be tempted to rework this kit. I am pleasantly surprised with how well the silver scheme worked out, but I wouldn't really rush to do another in the near future.

The last photo shows the aircraft, apparently taken at Neudorf-Oppeln/Schleßien, either pre-war or early in the war given the dimension of the national markings. This Fw56 was assigned to Flugzeugführerschule (A/B) 4. I hope yo like the final outcome.

Regards,

Paul

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.