Mach2's Arado Ar232B battle zone transport

Started by Paul Higgins · 35 · 1 year ago · Ar232, Luftwaffe, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Really great progress indeed, Paul @paulh.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

The paint brings everything nicely together. I do like your scratchbuilds on this challenge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Guys, a few more photos of the build... I've managed to get the camouflage colours applied and completed the internal fittings in the cockpit, although the gunner's stand for the dorsal turret sustained a little damage which had to be sorted. It can be re-inserted in due course through the turret opening.

After applying the scheme, I varnished the model using Future/Pledge but then noticed after it had dried, that there was a slightly coarse texture to most external surfaces. I was aware there was some of this texture as I was doing the build, but I also think the initial dark green paint hadn't been sufficiently thinned, adding to the problem. So, once the varnish had dried, I took some fine grade wet 'n' dry paper and lightly sanded out the roughness and re-applied a further coat of dark green later in the day, as well as the pale blue undersides. This was all once again varnished before applying Tamiya tape over the dark green prior to applying the black green.

Yesterday was spent doing the small fiddly things in the cockpit - attaching an MG81Z and ammo belts, then I spent the day fighting with the vacuformed transparent parts which I'd sourced as replacements for the kit pieces. They are exceptionally good and really clear, the main issue being their increased flexibility to do whatever they pleased after being released from the mould sheet. The underside piece was particularly awkward but I eventually got it into place. I inserted a thin plastic card support on the (L) side of the rear cockpit edge and used this as an anchor point for the main canopy. Once set, I was able to manipulate the other edges into place. Even now, there are slight misalignments, but I'm hopeful that once the kit is finished and fully varnished, these won't be as obvious. It really is a relief to have got the main canopy fitted. I attempted to use thin adhesive tape followed by thin black strips of transfer to replicate the frames, but neither were successful. I resorted to attaching thin Tamiya tape on either side of each main frame and carefully brush-painted dark green into the gap between the two strips. As each frame dried, I repeated the process on the next frame, slowly working through until they were all painted. This is where the model stands at present.

The smaller frames on each side of the main canopy have still to be painted, but will likely be completed in the same manner. It is a repetitive process but the one which best accommodates the awkward curve of the main frames running across the clear part from side to side. I've had to put some filler in at the rear left side of the fuselage where the canopy frame fits in. This will need careful blending to smooth out the gap without damaging the transparency.

All in all, I am pleased with the day's work. Some reworking of the colour scheme around the canopy will be needed but that hopefully won't impact adversely on the kit. Thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Paul

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress and an amazing result so far, my friend @paulh! Had to do an extra sanding/painting loop due to roughness, but all is good now. Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice result indeed, Paul @paulh. With the canopy on she looks amazing, great view on the interior.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Well, hello again... been a little while since I was last here, partly due to being on holiday, and also having a few other things to attend to, so here's a brief update.

After much faffing about, I managed to get the ten sets of small double wheels attached under the fuselage... they're not the prettiest sight on this particular model, as I found the process quite 'bitty' and frustrating, working in small, confined spaces times ten. Much of the detail is scratch-built, involving lengths of brass rod and other bits and pieces to construct the legs and supports. The attachment points for the wheels were a little narrow, so each had to be widened. Although better now than my first few attempts, some of the wheels continue to be slightly misaligned but not so bad as most would notice; after all, it's probably the last place that will ever be seen close up once completed.

I have elected to try and arrange the main undercarriage pieces to sit at the same level as the double wheel sets. In part, this is because the photo I'm working from shows the aircraft in that configuration and also becuase I suspect I have fallen short of putting sufficient weight into the model to get it to sit 'naturally' on it's tricycle undercarriage - I may have to introduce the dreaded clear plastic support, but the modelling gods may decide to be kind to me. I am hoping that having all of the wheels from both arrangements sitting on the desk at the same level, that will allow the rear double set wheels to stave off the model lurching backwards onto the tail! One benefit is that the engines have still to be attached, but the disadvantage lies with the addition of the control surfaces in due course, and the centre of gravity possibly being compromised... stay tuned.

Anyway, talking of the main undercarriage members, you can see them below partially complete, and they'll need some additional items attached and a tidy up with some paint; I've also regressed to my childhood by using Lego blocks to support the model at the optimum height, and this will allow better fitting of the main wheels to align with the double sets.

The last image shows the kit from above, and showing off its wave-pattern scheme; behind the right wing, you can also see one set of flaps and ailerons, and these will be the next hurdle to overcome. The wave-pattern was a little messy and not quite as I would have wanted it, but the aforementioned photo shows the scheme to be a bit random too, so I suppose it's in keeping with the original. Some feint traces of the initial application of a yellow tailboom band are evident and all areas, under wing tips included, will be brought up to speed in due course.

I hope you like the progress, and thanks for looking in... ;-).

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Amazing craftsmanship, my friend @paulh! Looks really challenging to tackle all these tiny wheels but you managed perfectly. Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking excellent already, Paul @paulh
    That wavy pattern must have been a lot of work, how did you apply that, if I may ask.
    Also making great use of the Lego.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks, guys... yes, Lego still has a place in model-making :-).

As for the wave pattern, it was applied by spray gun. Everything was playing up a bit on the day, hence the sharp, nicely defined areas followed by some fuzzy areas, but likely due to me rather than anything to do with the gun. Another modeller's offering of this colour scheme on the internet was very good, but he decided from the same photo I am drawing on, that the wave pattern had been applied using a brush. Although I initially thought the same, on closer inspection of an area under the wing, I concluded that some of the wave pattern there had too much fluidity of movement to have been painted by a brush; it seemed as though it was a countinuous double loop, like two number 6s, one above the other. I didn't think it looked as clearly defined as a brush-applied loop, and there were other areas in the photo where I could imagine someone with a spray gun, perhaps applying the scheme hurriedly, had stopped to think where the next section was to go but hadn't quite switched off the spraygun, so the painted lines of the waves got slightly bunched up. This was a major factor in deciding to spray the pattern instead using a brush.

So now, on to the main undercarriage... I'll need to see how that turns out, but I think the previously mentioned 'clear plastic support' may be needed after all. More to follow in due course... :-).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Your decision to go for airbrush was a good choice, @paulh.
    Although I can imagine it must have been a nervebreaking exercise.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Indeed, you are an airbrush Master, my friend @paulh!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 5 months ago:

So, folks, this build is now complete. The final few images are posted below. I think the model looks quite impressve, with its multi-wheeled undercarriage and deplyed control surfaces.

I would like to think that some mainstream manufacturer would do us all some justice in producing an updated offering of this aircraft, but until then, I am happy to have this one in my collection again, and a big improvement on my original 1995 attempt.

There is a build video on my YouTube channel here if you're interested in viewing it - https://youtu.be/O9jOekMDirc

Thanks for looking in, and I'll catch up with you again soon.

Regards,

Paul

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Congratulations, my friend @paulh! A wonderful result, a triumph over a most challenging kit, so inspirational! Great video, as well! Thank you so much for this fantastic entry in our GB!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Amazing work done, Paul @paulh.
    Thanks for this group build article. She looks great on the headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, John/Spiros, for your comments... :-).