Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Indeed it does Michael!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Yes it does!
    Bring this beauty here, @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Love it, Michael! Lots of us will be looking to you for all the tricks and tips here! Have you seen Meng are bringing out a 1/24th Scale version of the Dr1? Which apparently also has WNW links!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Good morning Michael, yes this will be an excellent contribution for this GB, I'm still looking for that one WWI or pre war WWII bi-plane to build. I just never been really interested in building one. But with the new kits coming about they have peeked my interest. Excellent progress so far.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Your progress is great, Michael.
    Would be nice to see it up here.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 12 months ago:

I'm very interested to see how this kit turns out. It's gotten "mixed reviews" so far, mostly for the plastic.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Krumrey said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Tom: I have built one and I thought it was a pretty well engineered kit. I found no issues with the plastic at all.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great to have some first World War builds. I am not yet brave enough for biplanes. I will be watching and learning from this build.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is continuing on from the blog listed above:

I've assembled the cockpit after adding bracing wires to the fuselage sides and control cables.
    I used sections of an old wire guitar 'E' string for the braces and cables.
    The wire is 0.254mm (0.01") diameter giving a scale thickness of 8mm, perhaps a bit thick. ;~)
    I added diagonal crossed aileron control wires that you will only just see on the finished kit, rudder control wires and upper (x2) elevator wires, all of which are visible, and lower (x2) elevator control wires that attach under the cockpit floor that no one will ever see again.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great detailing, Michael.
    Love the way you added those cables.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking wonderful, Michael!
    Well, even if some won't be visible, we know they are there!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Well, I tried three times to straighten the wings using hot->boiling water, but to no success.
    Then I tried using a hair dryer and managed to straighten them with a firm bending using thumbs and fingers. I then clamped them at the wing tips to a piece of wood to cool.
    That worked.

But, next day they (upper wing in particular) were back to more or less the original bend.

@%#!^@^%!

I'll try again...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

If you are brave, you might try bending them to shape without heating them, my friend @michaelt...
    I know it's a brutal, "non-recommended" method, but, if everything else fails, you might consider giving a try...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Michael (@michaelt), nothing is more frustrating than have warped parts, especially in a newly manufactured kit. If one part of the wing is straight (such as warped top and straight bottom), I have been able to straighten the other part by gluing the two parts together gradually using liquid cement. I will glue about a half inch, then tape everything into the proper shape and let it dry. Then repeat. If that doesn't work, sometimes you can get good result by putting it on the floor and jumping up and down on it.