Meng Fokker Dr.1

Started by Michael Turner · 80 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

And the top wing is on!
    This was much easier than I had expected. The outer cabanes are a tight fit in the upper wing slot, so I thinned the tabs down and everything was easy.
    I can report that it is structurally robust, because I dropped my iphone on the wing tip just before I took these photos…
    (I’ve managed to break the rudder off three times so far.)

I just have to add the aileron control wires between the fuselage and upper wing and work out how to paint the prop laminations.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

It look wonderful already, Michael @michaelt
    The camouflage on the wings together with the yellow tail is a beautiful combination.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, mate (@johnb).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, looks amazing already, my friend @michaelt! Totally agree with our friend @johnb : the colors' combination is wonderful.

• Profile Photo

Ant it is done.
    I'm rather happy with my first effort at painting a laminated wood propeller.
    The (new) competition deadline is next Sunday, but, as we are still in lockdown here in Melbourne, the club meeting will be online. The drill is that we take photos to show completion and do the judging when we can meet in person.

I'm going to finish the base and build and paint the figure of Lothar (see above).
    After that I'll post it on the main page.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Congratulations, my friend @michaelt! Your Dr.1 turned out excellent, surely will be a star at your club meeting.
    The prop looks really great.
    Looking forward to see the base and Lothar completed!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I must say @michaelt, I was prepared not to like your solution to the streaky camo but I'm glad to report I was wrong wrong wrong. It really looks good - just about what you could get with the Aviattic streaky decal for the Dr.I. It is possible to paint - I did it - put a coat of clear lacquer over the CDL done with acrylic, then applied thinned acrylic (Tamiya RLM71). Here's what I got.

Your idea is superior, however, so long as the modeler is OCD enough to do the masking. 🙂

And I am definitely glad I concluded at the outset that two Roden Triplanes were enough in the collection. They're problem-free compared to the Meng.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

A superb build, Michael @michaelt
    It will definitely be getting a lot of attention during that meeting.
    And the propellor looks indeed very nice.
    Just let us know what the comments of the jury were.

• Profile Photo

G'day Tom (@tcinla),
    Thanks, high praise, indeed.
    To be honest, I wasn't too sure how it would work out myself.
    I think I may have OMD (Obsessive Masking Disorder).
    I considered the Aviatic decals, but I was worried I'd mess them up too easily.
    I tried the streaky paint idea too, but thought I wouldn't have enough control over the effect, particularly with any repainting that might be needed, for the (then) relatively short build timeline.
    I admire your efforts, though.

Although there are one or two issues as noted, this was a fun build and I'd consider building another if I didn't have enough of a stash to get through.

Thanks, again for watching.

• Profile Photo

G'day Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb),
    Thanks for your kind comments.
    I'll let you know how I go in the competition.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 8 months ago:

It really turned out a very impressive DR.I . I guess your work might get me to resume progress on mine, wing warpage and all. Congrats!

• Profile Photo

G'day Pedro (@holzhamer),
    Thanks for your kind comment.
    I look forward to seeing yours completed, too.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Not content with having a Meng 1/32 Fokker Dr.I competition, my modelling club also decided to build a Jasta of Eduard 1/72 Fokker Dr.Is, but this time just for fun.
    Each aircraft will be using decals from the Pheon Decals "72002 Fokker Dr.Is of Jagdgeschwader Nr II".
    The reason there are two Fokkers in the picture below is because my adult son, Chris, joined in the build.

Meanwhile I've finished the base for the Meng aircraft and am painting 1/32 Lothar...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 6 months ago:

You can’t have too many Fokkers 😉
    How about that 1/24 piece also from Meng? These days one can build almost all scales DR.1s

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nothing better than building together with your son, my friend @michaelt!
    Looking forward to them!