Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 1/32 – two versions

Started by Colin Gomez · 56 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 12 months ago:

I will at some point contribute two 1/32nd scale versions of the 109G-6. I haven't built a 109 for more than 10 years. The last worth mentioning was the Tamiya 1/48th kit 109e-4 trop.

I don't think it is worth a whole article, but it was a learning experience. Anyway, I have had the Hasegawa 109G-6 in my stash for some time. As you can see, I have the Eagle Parts replacement spinner, Barracuda cannon pods, Yahu IP and a variety of decals squirreled away with the kit. My plan for this GB is to complete the Hasegawa kit as the aircraft of Lt Alfred Hammer, Staffelfuhrer of 6/JG 53. I always liked the Eagle Cals markings for JG-53 - especially the wide red fuselage band and yellow highlights - just not the anonymity of Yellow 6. I will switch the 6 to a 1, pirated from the Aeromaster set shown or from the kit decals. That will give me Hammer's bird.

I also have the newer Revell 109G6, which I will do with the very attractive kit decals (my favorite colors for the G6, I think).

These are for Hptm. Franz Dorr of Stab III/JG 5, Gossen, Norway 1945. I have replacement chin intake, cannon bulge and intakes in resin for this kit. They are drop-in replacements for the kit parts so shouldn't be a chore. I am happy to do a G6 with the later tail and Erla hood. Otherwise, it should be an interesting build comparison with the Hasegawa.

This will be a slow start as I am determined to get by Super Etendard and A-4B well on their way in the Falklands/Malvinas theme. However, there is nothing like juggling kits to keep up the momentum so I may get to the 109s in the next week or so.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Fantastic again Colin, I reckon I’ll be drifting to 1/32 more once the stash of 1/48th stuff thins. Can’t wait to see these come to life!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 12 months ago:

You'll find those are both very nice kits, though both follow very different paths to get to a similar final result.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Another two great choices, @coling!

I have heard the basic Hasegawa (and the Revell reboxes) are really nice kits. I also love your extras.

It's such a great idea to enter a GB, such as this wonderful GB, with a number of projects from the start, even if you have many ongoing projects already: it indeed creates a motivating momentum for the builder, but also sparkles the GB with interest !

Looking forward to them!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Wonderful choice as well, Colin @coling
    109's are beautiful aircraft and your builds will showing that when finished.
    Looking forward to them.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Either are great choices Colin!
    Looking forward for paint sessions

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Great pair - looking forward to you starting these up.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Not one but two colorful G-6 ?
    Colin , you are misleading us 🙂 !
    Perfect choice , looking forward to the sequel ...

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, guys. I have a very brief update, just to show how I am literally building these kits side by side. As Tom mentioned, they have very different lay-outs and parts design.

The Hasegawa has fewer cockpit parts and has sidewall detail molded tot he inside of the fuselage. The Revell kit has separate sidewall panels with finer detail, very much like the early Eduard etch set for the 109G. The Revell kit also has a separate cockpit fuel pipe (the yellow pipe on the starboard side) whereas Hasegawa has the same pipe molded crudely into a larger sidewall piece. Since the fuel pipe had a viewing window, Revell has thought to mold it in clear styrene. Nice touch. Overall, the Hasegawa kit would be easier and quicker to build but will need work to get details right (like replacing that fuel pipe (maybe with stretched clear sprue). I have sanded off the molded on seatbelts on the Revell kit. To my chagrin, I discovered I had no Luftwaffe seat belts or rudder pedals on hand in etch in 1/32. I have ordered these on Ebay and they should get here in a week or so. For now I will detail and paint other parts of the interior of each model except for those parts. I also added the tail section to each fuselage half of the Hasegawa kit (it fits perrfectly this way) and did the late G/K tail for the Revell kit. Overall, it is interesting how much lighter and more brittle the Revell plastic is compared to what Haegawa uses. However, it is not as fragile or thin as it seems, given the weight, and it sands down nicely where needed. For some reason the fuselages look quite different in these pics but they match up fine. Both kits are accurate with great detail, with the Revell somewhat more delicate and refined in small details and overall finish. I found some photos of Dorr's aircraft in Norway. Such pics will be helpful and I am looking for more. That's it for now. More to come soon.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @coling!
    I have also noticed that Revell plastic is at some cases on the brittle/crumbly side, making detaching small bits from the sprues a delicate operation. But, as you pointed out, it can be sanded well.
    Interesting to see the different approaches Hasegawa and Revell have chosen to depict the G-6 (whereas I at fist had thought the Revell is a rebox of Hasegawa...).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great choices, Colin (@coling). I am looking forward to seeing which paint schemes you use.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros and George. I haven't posted for awhile but I have been very busy building and painting. I have more to post on the 109s, below plus the Heinkel. I will also be posting updates on the SuE and Skyhawk over in the Falkland's space, but things are very quiet there so interest may be waning. Oh well. Whenever I build German stuff, I need to work on some Allied content to keep subject matter in balance. I have therefore made progress on my Tempest as well, which I will post in WIP Aircraft. Anyway, I want to keep my posts shorter as I think we are getting spread a bit thin with all the GBs now (at least I am!).

Building the Hasegawa and Revell 109s side-by-side is very interesting. They assemble and paint up very differently. I kind of favor the Hasegawa for simplicity, sharp detail and sturdiness. The Revell kit is much more skill-demanding for fit and clean up. Nice interior details, though. I took a long time and lots of care to clean up a ridiculous amount of flash around the exhaust manifold on the Revell kit.

I had to study my Squadron Bf-109G-6 Walkaround carefully as well as the Hasegawa kit to clean up and reshape things after clean-up. All good now, though (final pics on that later). The rest of the work was on the interior. I show some pics of the two cockpits side by side and individually. The Hasegawa kit has details in the fuselage sidewalls and the Revell kit has inserts. Oddly enough, the Has kit actually allows you to insert most of the pit (the floor, seat and IP) after fuselage assembly whereas the more modular Revell pit has to be trapped in the fuselage when it is closed up. I have painted and weathered both pits in a layering of Flat Black, Tamiya German Grey for RLM-66, and highlighting with oil wash. I did the details for the fuel line in Flat Yellow and the Oxygen regulator system in a darkened X-4 Blue. For the Revell kit, I did the IP from the kit part by punching out the dials and applying them with tweezers. a drop of Future for each dial also helped. Slow work but it paid off. You can compare the results with the Yahu panel I will use for the Hasegawa kit, which only has five pieces (two main pieces and a few tiny details. . I have done the set belts and harness for the Revell kit, using Eduard generic Luftwaffe belts, which had to be painted. I may weather them further but I am glad to have them in and secured; they are very springy and hard to get to sit right! . I added some wiring made from magnetic coil wire, painted white on the starboard fuselage half. The Revell kit has a fragile transparent piece for the fuel line which goes over this. I had to do some surgery on it so it wouldn't block the view of some IP dials but results were good in the end. I had to create a similar fuel line for the Hasegawa kit with stretched sprue. The transparent window section in the fuel was simulated on the Has kit with a drop of Future. I add painted details tomorrow before installation.
    That's it for now. I will add wiring and oxygen system details to the Hasegawa pit tomorrow. After that and adding tail wheel bits., I will probably be able to get both fuselages closed up. The Revell kit will need a lot of filling and sanding as the nose panels do not follow panel lines (sigh). The Hasegawa kit will be MUCH simpler from here on. I hope having these side by side isn't too visually confusing. I have found it quite helpful so far. Comments welcome.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Fantastic looking interior, Colin.
    So much detail, that cockpit is a model by itself.
    I like the way how you punched out each gauge, a lot of work, but definitely worth it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Yep, amazing work, my friend @coling! How great modeling skills!
    What a progress!
    It is really interesting to read about the two kits' differences.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros and John. I have done a bit more work on the interiors of each 109 to get them to the stage that I can close up the fuselages. For the Hasegawa kit, I just had to get the sidewalls done completely and test-fit the floor, seat, and IP. The last three things I will insert after the fuselage is together and all joints sanded, so I haven't needed to do the seat belts yet for the Hasegawa 109. The Revell kit requires the pit to be fully finished as it will be trapped inside. Its all done now. I have lined up the Hasegawa and Revell sidewalls to see the finishing touches done.

So, to summarize all of this: since the last posting, I painted the clamps for the fuel lines with Rub n Buff. added decals to the sidewalls and center hump forward of the joystick. I replaced the wiring for the main console on the starboard sidewall on the Hasegawa kit, much as I did it on the Revell kit. Without describing everything in tedious detail, I have the two cockpits satisfactorily detailed in equal measure.

Before sealing up the Revell fuselage, I needed to fix the details in the engine exhaust manifold which were damaged in clean up of flash. These were fixed with melted styrene bits and sanded to shape.

The two openings nicely conform to the exhaust stacks now. I also had to find a way to defeat the poor engineering of the Revell kit to allow me to insert the exhaust stack after painting the surrounding fuselage (as you can do easily on the Hasegawa kit, which is much better engineered). I had to trim the base plate for the chin intake to allow me to insert the exhaust stacks through the opening and close up the opening after the fuselage was glued together. I just cut and sanded off the wings of the piece that prevented it from being inserted from outside. Success.

That's it for now. Since this is the last time to see the pit details before they are sealed up, I figured it was worth an update. Comments welcome. This has taken some care to get all this figured out and finished successfully (even if it doesn't look like much).