Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 1/32 – two versions

Started by Colin Gomez · 56 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Those cockpits look nice, my friend @coling. I love the stretched sprue rods!
    I also liked what you did with the exhausts on the Revell kit.
    That was areally great update.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros. It is fun to do these kits side-by-side. I definitely prefer the Hasegawa for buildability. I hope I can make them equals in the last stages. Nothing like testing one's modeling skills and having decent results. Can't complain. Thanks again for looking and commenting.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

You did some serious work on that interior, Colin.
    Progress is really promissing on your 109.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. Doing the two cockpits side by side has pushed me to enhance them in different ways so that they match in quality (or nearly, anyway). The same will apply to the exterior as they come together. I am not sure this build is of much interest to most ("just a couple more 109s" - yawn), but they are the first of this type I have completed successfully in 1/32 (and, as I've said before, I am definitely no Luftwaffe expert). I will keep posting as I make progress, since I am learning a lot about this particular airframe as I go. Some others might benefit from sharing the little fixes and tweaks that arise.

• Profile Photo

A small update. I assembled the major fuselage components and began dealing with gaps. The Revell kit needed major filling around the top cover for the non-existent engine. Fit was poor here and joins are mostly not on panel lines (as previously mentioned). I manged to glue it down securely but needed to fill all along the join with liquefied stretched sprue.

Meanwhile the Hasegawa kit needed sanding of the fuselage join behind the seat before installation of the latter. I needed to fill a depression with liquified styrene so I will finish sanding tomorrow. Once the fuselages are sanded smooth, I will add the wings, top wing halves first and get all main components done. More filling on over complex wing of Revell kit (6 parts, instead of logical 4). Painting should follow within the next couple of days.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

You corrected the gaps well, Colin @coling
    Engineering on the kit by Revell can be improved on this one for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Solid progress, my friend @coling and good use of lequefied styrene!
    It will be interesting to see if the more complex engineered Revell will produce a better result, otherwise the complexity will be unnecessary.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Sorry, I've been off the grid for a while Colin. That is some nice progress you've made on these. I like the scratchbuilt fuelline on the Hasegawa and the individual instruments on the Revell. Good stuff!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks, John. Gap filling is not my favorite activity but I think it will pay off to preserve the better qualities of the Revell kit. It has some nice features which will look really good overall when the blemishes are erased.

Thanks, Spiros. I mostly think the Revell kit is unnecessarily complex but some of the extra parts and inserts are clearly to allow different versions to be constructed in other releases. It is a lot cheaper than the Hasegawa kit, and that is a big draw for me. if I can get this to turn out equal to the Hasegawa, I will be happy to get another one.

Thanks, Erik. Great to have your input. No need to apologize for the absence. As one of our 109 aficionados, you give me more confidence that I am doing the work correctly. I will be happy to get both of these up to an acceptable standard. I have quite a bit more assembly done now but I will wait to post until I get some major painting done. Meanwhile, moving ahead on the Stuka and Tempest, work that I will post soon.

• Profile Photo

I haven't posted in a while. Life gets in the way, sometimes quite dramatically. I have some progress to report on the Bf-109s that is perhaps worth sharing. Here goes.

I have carefully sanded down all the gaps and joins on both models. The Revell needed a lot more work because of the cowl panel line corrections and the care necessary to getting the resin cannon bulges to fit well. Both challenges met with good results but I had to do some delicate rescribing to restore the fine inspection panel lines for the engine.

I also fixed the ugly gaps in the decking around the cockpit, where Revell has so many joints from intersecting panels. I noticed that many online builds have the canopy closed and I suddenly understood why. I initially worried that filling and sanding these joints would distort the flat area of the deck. However, I filled the gaps with stretched sprue, welded in with liquid glue, and sanded with great care, removing the tabs for the open canopy in the process. All this was successful, so it shows it can be done. All that remains for this problem area is repainting. I will mask the canopy and use it so to seal off the cockpit area before major painting starts. It is interesting how different the two 109s looked in outline until they were more built up. The Revell kit has some excellent movable control surfaces for the wings and tail section which fit tightly. The ailerons and all tail section surfaces on the Hasegawa kit are molded on. Now that the two models are lined up with more done, they look much more similar than before in the wing area and overall. Of course, I am doing the Revell as a late tail version, so that's a contrast. Speaking of the tail, one odd bit of imprecision I had to fix was the asymmetry of the mounting point for the horizontal tail. I had to sand it down quite a bit on the starboard side. Here is how it looked before it was corrected.

While the Hasegawa is a much easier to construct OOB, I've complicated the build by adding the Eagle Parts corrected spinner and Barracuda cast cannon pods. This is my second try with this spinner, having messed it up somewhat a few years ago ago on a failed 109K build. This time I created a masking tape barrier to avoid sanding away too much resin when removing the casting plug.

This worked well. I was also super careful drilling the hole in the back of the spinner for mounting. Finally, I took most of one day drilling out the holes for the prop blades, which also need to be trimmed a the base to fit at the right depth in each resin collar in the spinner. I did this so that they would be a tight friction fit and also so they would align precisely (drilling a tiny hole in each blade base to check alignment). They can now be removed, painted separately and refitted at the precisely correct angle near the end of the build. Of course, I will want the spinner to be free of blades when painting the spiral and doing other work. The cannon pods are nicely detailed but each was damaged at the ends in the package, missing some fine bits of resin. I replaced the bits with ultra-thin styrene sheet glued on with super glue/accelerator and sanded to shape. They look quite good to my eye now.

Here are a couple more comparative pics of the overall Hasegawa build with fit of cannon bulges, rescribing after sanding, etc.

As a final fiddly bit of work, I decided to drill out the exhaust stacks - just on the Hasegawa kit for now. This is a VERY time consuming process and I am not sure worth the effort, given that the exhausts are pretty much hidden under the exhaust deflectors. The pics show the process of drilling out tiny holes with a pin vice drill, which are then joined up by chipping away the material between the holes with the drill and a No.11 X-Acto blade. No pics of the final results but I will post more when they are painted to show the full effect.

That's it for now. There is little to do now before major painting. This will include some more surface details to add, painting and fitting the gunsights, masking the canopies and sealing up the cockpits. I also have a big pile of wheels and gear legs to all ready to paint for the 109s, Heinkel and Stuka, so assembly will go quickly after major painting.

That's it for now. Please excuse the endlessly deferred painting process. Although build process can be tedious, I think it is worth noting the challenges of each kit and how they can be met. Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This is serious progress, Colin @coling
    Thanks for the great descriptions of each step you did.
    Those are really helpful.
    Can imagine that drilling those exhausts is exhausting.
    Looking forward to next steps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. Glad to hear it is worthwhile to follow. The 109 is a pretty conventional subject but I am really happy building these beauties. They are nice kits and worth every penny in spite of challenges a long the way. I got the gear wheel wells and prop blades painted today. Will post more when major painting is well underway.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Oh boy , that's a lot of impressive work you 've done Colin !
    Your dedication to some of the details definitely foretells something extraordinary .

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

What a massive update - well done! I did praise your paperbelts in the Stuka build, but you did a great job on the metal ones here too! It was a good call to cut off the "hinges" on the canopy - they were non-existing on the real thing, as they were hinged at the far ends. the resin parts look awesome, and the massive work on the spinner is going to pay off when painting. Also the drilling out of exhausts is a real proof of this being a thorough build - I think such details are worth the effort, but that's probably just me being detail-oriented 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

What a great update, my friend @coling!
    Love all the precise, meticulous job you did everywhere, cockpit edges, propeller hub and exhaust stacks included!
    Sometimes it is indeed questionable whether you should put a lot of effort detailing something that will be barely (if at all) visible...
    Decisions, decisions...