Wingnut Wings' Roland D.VIa, Jasta 23b, 1918

Started by Paul Higgins · 17 · 1 year ago · Roland D.VIa, Wingnut Wings, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Hi, guys... it's been a while since I posted anything here, but Christmas, New Year and holidays all 'got in the way', so to speak... :-). Anyway, back into my usual routine again and this kit is the next one off the production line.

So far, things are going not too badly; fitting the cockpit and engine into the frame, and then the frame into the fuselage was a good process with few incidents. Care has to be taken with the engine bearing mounts and the small oil tank on the right side of the engine compartment tended to have a mind of its own, but I persuaded it to sit still while drawing the fuselage together.

In itself, the engine assembly is very smart and I really liked the way it turned out. The lozenge transfers are from the Aviattic range and notwithstanding the few occasions where I messed up a little, they were extremely forgiving and I eventually got them to sit in place properly. The torch emblem on the fuselage sides is handpainted and at this stage, needs a bit of further reworking but it looks good. The aircraft was operational with Jasta 23b, but the pilot is unknown. The colour scheme is based on a painting by Steve Anderson; at this website - http://www.buddecke.de/jagru8.htm - you can see in the background a Roland D.VIa which appears to be finished in a similar scheme but it is too distant in the photo to determine if it carried the torch emblem. If any of you are able to provide more information about the pilot and/or this particular aircraft, I'd been interested to hear from you.

The accompanying video on my Youtube channel will be in three instalments, the first of which is available now here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqVQDSbdJK8&t=8s - although it's not yet as far on as the images below show

I hope you like the progress so far, and thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Paul

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Paul Higgins (@paulh)
    What an epic subject ! Thank you for starting another build for our Luftwaffe group. These WNW kits are fantastic, and you are bringing out the very best with yours. It's so incredibly detailed.

Thanks again for starting another one for the group.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis... ;-).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing job, my friend @paulh!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Really impressive progress already, Paul @paulh
    Very realistic interior.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@paulh - Mmmmm... you've got this going in a really good direction. Gonna have a great result!

• Profile Photo

Guys, thanks to you all for your comments... much appreciated ;-).

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Hi, here is the next batch of photos on this build. The first two show the turnbuckles that I hope to use... I stress the word 'hope' because the smaller items are from Bob's Buckles here in Britain, and in the second photo, the larger item is one of the GasPatch turnbuckles. I took a couple of the BB eyelets and trimmed their stems and then inserted one into either end of the brass tube. You can see three of the assemblies completed, and I think I'll need only four, for which my eyes will be eternally thankful! They are very well made, but extremely small and most folks will probably need some form of magnification aid to work with them, but always good to try something new.

Next up is the rudder, which I initially painted white, then applied some dark grey frame lines by marking off their location with tape and painting the grey between the tapes. Once dry, they were gradually oversprayed white again in order to reduce them to a very fine 'ghost' effect. Not sure that's easily visible on this photo, but it would be if you were physically next to the model. Thereafter, a couple of images showing sundry items, the undercarriage legs and the wheels, propellor, exhaust outlet and ailerons, to name a few. These presented no issues and turned out well. The lozenge pattern on the wheel hubs were not supplied as transfers on the Aviattic sheet, but the outer coverings were from excess items not required for the model on the Roland transfer sheet; the inner coverings were also from Aviattic, but not from the sheet I recently bought for this model. They came from a supplementary sheet intended for another kit, although which one escapes me at present. I cut them slightly larger than needed, and cut a slit from the edge to the centre on each circle, so I could adjust them and slightly overlap the edges if needs be. Trying to draw a circular transfer down onto a surface is quite a tricky undertaking. A small amount of blackwash tends to hide the incision.

The last three images show the model as it is at present; the lower wing went on a few nights ago, and the upper wing last night. Aligning the struts was relatively easy, although the radiator pipe from the engine to the location point under the top wing had a bit of a 'contratemps' with one of the cabane strut arms. Nevertheless, I think I managed to do a decent job. The right wing is now almost completely rigged, so hopefully the left wing will follow suit tomorrow. I expect the build to draw to a close in my next post, but the second YouTube instalment, again not quite as far on as these photos below show, has been posted, and can be viewed here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghZN70DZXQ&t=27s. Thanks for looking in guys, and I'll catch up again soon.

Regards,

Paul

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Continuing to look good, @paulh.

• Profile Photo

Thanks again, Tom... ;-).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looking fabulous, my friend @paulh!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros... :-).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Absolutely perfect, Paul @paulh
    The rigging with those turnbuckles looks fabulous

• Profile Photo

Hi, guys... well this is the final instalment of my Roland D.VIa build. It really has been a lovely model to put together and I hope you have enjoyed the journey as much as I have. The last batch of photos below show the various small sundry items, including some of the control surfaces, the undercarriage pieces and the propellor which I think really sets the model off nicely.

All three build instalments are now on YouTube, with the last one available here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPjoM2VbmBs. The aircraft was assigned to Jasta 23b and possibly shows it during its stay at Epinoy, France, in 1918, although unfortunately, the pilot is not known.

Thanks for looking in... I'll catch up with you again soon... ;-).

Regards,

Paul

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Superb result, my friend @paulh!