Wingsy Kits new 1/48 Bf-10E-1

Started by Tom Cleaver · 23 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

There's been a lot of enthusiastic comment about this new kit, and they're right. This just arrived on Tuesday, and last night I did the basic assembly of the fuselage and wing. Absolutely no fit problems, and as you can see in the photos, the wing and fuselage sub-assemblies snap into position. There will not be any filler used anywhere with this project.

The surface detail rivals Eduard's best. Overall assembly is easy - this would be a kit I could recommend to anyone returning to the hobby after a long layoff, or anyone new to the hobby. Follow the instructions and success is guaranteed. This really is a "weekender."

Having built about every 109 kit out there, I can say this is easily the best 109E anyone's done yet. Surface detail is beautifully petite. I particularly like the fabric control surfaces. Some have said these parts are blank - that's not accurate, If you hold them under the light, you can see verrryyy subtle "hills and valleys," the way a fabric covered surface really is! The only "down" side is the photoetch is not up to Eduard's - you still have to paint it. That's just barely a "down."

The 109E-3 is next and is supposed to come out in August. The way the wing is designed, with the tips separate, shows potential for a 109T kit, and when I queried Vytalii Baranik about that, he said "well, maybe."

With this release, Wingsy is definitely closing in on Eduard, who had best "check their six."

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks great, @tcinla. Love your progress, too!
    Thanks for the kit info.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks impressive already, Tom @tcinla
    I'm still in search for a nice 109 kit and reading your remarks, it seems this one is a good candidate.

• Profile Photo

As I said, it is a "weekender." The main project between the last photos and these was assembly of the cockpit, which is a breeze. Prepainted everything. The kit has decals that snuggle right down on the injection-molded instrument panel (which is in two parts as it should be).

The kit unmodified will result in a model with the flaps raised. However, it was easy to trim the main lower flap hinge and that allowed the flap to be positioned down. I also drooped the ailerons the slight bit they were in the landing configuration. The little photoetch details could have been replaced with plastic without a loss, but that's just my opinion, not a complaint.

The leading edge slats are really good - there is no "ledge" there and the wing looks like it should in reality.

There are no assembly problems with this kit. Everything goes together without the slightest problem. In fact, I would go so far as to say that in terms of production design and production quality, this beats Tamiya and Eduard can feel the hot breath on their neck. This is definitely the best 109E, for detail, accuracy, and buildability.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Tom @tcinla
    Fitting seems very good like you mentioned.
    Looking forward to the paintwork.

• Profile Photo

Love it too, @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Painted - I'm going to do the "Rot 16" option.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I'm saying that someone is using Keebler Elves to cut sprues, assemble and paint . . .
    Us normal sods six to eight day's spread over several weekends to get things ready for decals. It seems that good things come in batches of 3's . . . the Tempest, the Wingsy kit and waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Amazed at how fast and how good these kits are being made.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hey Tom, I’m very glad you got this kit and (as usual) jump right into it.
    Been fighting the compulsion to buy this one (not cheap given the postal costs) since I’m saving up for the Lancaster.
    I guess sooner or later my wallet will weep

• Profile Photo

Love the painting, Tom!

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer - If you only want to do one, wait till the 109E-3 comes in August, or the E-4 later this fall.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@tcinla
    Tom, actually it’s the E-1 I’m really looking forward to get. I have one decal sheet for years to build a 70/71 splinter Emil with some cartoons below the cockpit.
    That said, the E-4/7 would also be a great addition sometime in the future...so many schemes to build right?
    Thanks for the heads up

• Profile Photo

Painting looks great, Tom.
    Love this early 109 scheme.

• Profile Photo

Decals and weathering complete. Decals nice and thin, melted into the petite surface detail with only a couple applications of Solvaset. Final assembly next. Really nice kit - no problems whatsoever. Recommended to anyone interested.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Coming along nicely, Tom!