WnW Gotha G.IV - 1/32 scale

Started by Paul Higgins · 43 · 1 year ago · 1/32, Imperial German Air service, Wingnut Wings, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Indeed some fragile frames, Paul @paulh
    Painted parts do look very nice.
    It is clear that this will become quite a large aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year, 10 months ago:

So, further progress with my build... the engines are complete and the cowling covers have been attached. I've decided on the colour scheme although not all details are confirmed; the engines of this aircraft were not attached according to information included with the aftermarket transfers, so it is not known if it carried pale blue or grey-blue ones. I chose the former as it provides some contrast against the darker shade. Once some tidying up was done, I blackwashed and stained these parts, then varnished everything. I like the overall look of these pieces. I also assembled and painted the exhaust pipes, then fitted them into position.

After that, I moved on to painting the fuselage. There were two panels on the rear fuselage to show the serial number, and a similarly shaded strip around the nose as an identification aid. These areas were painted pale blue, then later the grey-blue was added. Once varnished, I started to apply the fuselage markings. I had managed to acquire some Pheon Models 1/32 scale Gotha G.IV transfers. I was a little disappointed in them as I'd read good things about their quality. Sadly, in my offering, the carrier film silvered noticeably despite several attempts to rectify this. The 'Lori2' name on each side of the fuselage and the nose were relatively good, and as the carrier film was only applied around the number and letters where needed, they can and possibly will be sorted with some careful paintwork. I have to admit I placed them in the wrong position initally, too far forward. I realised this in time, just as the Microl Set/Sol was drying out. They had also been placed over the fairleads on the fuselage, making releasing them very difficult. The serials were worse, if anything, as the carried film encompassed all of the characters and stubbornly rebuffed all attempts to better their appearance. I realised at that point, that the codes from the WnW kits itself had the serial of aircraft 405, and I needed 406. Their transfer sheet had sufficient additional numbers from the other schemes offered to adjust the serial, so I managed to replace the Pheon serials with the altered WnW ones.

I'm now happy with the progress so far, but it was a tough evening's work. The pale blue fuselage panels are too long and will require some shortening before applying the crosses. The rear struts on the engines have still to be added and some painting will be needed on various edges where the earlier coats have thinned and the undercoat is showing through slightly. Although not fitted yet, the last images shows the fuselage and engine assemblies in their intended locations.

Hopefully more to follow soon... :-).

Regards,

Paul

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Excellent work on the engines, Paul @paulh
    The pale blue does look nice on the fuselage as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @paulh!

• Profile Photo

Guys...
    The latest pics I have of my build are below... progress has been slow but productive. The external cabling from nose to tail is now in place, although there are half a dozen strands of elasticated thread flapping about round the tailplane as they need the control surfaces put in place before they can be connected up. I won't do that just now as I would be more than likely to damage and/or break them off so they are probably going to be some of the last items attached.

I managed to get the undercarriage legs assembled, painted, attached and rigged with only minor adjusments to the attachment points to ensure they fitted easily. A test fit of the lower wings was then attempted... surprisingly good, I must say. The Gotha had noticeable dihedral on the wings and an ever-so-slight sweep back as well, but even without the connection to the top wing at this stage, the upward angle is evident and bodes well for the future.

Yesterday afternoon, I managed to attached the wheels; both 'flattened' and 'unflattened' options are available, but as I intend my kit to be fully bombed up, I chose to use the former. In the evening, I was able to rig and attach some turnbuckles onto the wing centre section next to the fuselage and next to the cowlings. I thought it best to do this just now as there is restricted space here, and trying to do anything around this area will be difficult enough, let alone when the upper wing is attached, when I imagine everything will potentially become positively unwieldy.

Talking of which, I am thinking about which method might be best - should I connect the upper wing centre section onto the cabane struts as shown in the dry run in the photos, complete the rigging as much as I can there, then try and attached the upper wings later as individual items? Or should I build up the entire top wing including the centre section, attach as one piece and scare the living daylights out of myself when attempting the rigging? Nice problem to have, eh? My initial thoughts are to go with the first option and take my chances trying to attach the two upper wing sections as individual items at a later stage. We'll see, I do change my mind on reflection, sometimes...

Anyway, I am pleased with the slow but definite progress. I'll catch you again soon and thanks for looking in... ;-).

Regards,

Paul

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Excellent work, Paul @paulh
    For the rigging, I would choose for the first option as well. Just to make life a bit easier.

• Profile Photo

Looking spectacular so far, my friend @paulh!
    Sorry for the repetitive comment, cannot help it, the Gotha looks outstanding.
    Indeed, the first method seems to have an edge.

• Profile Photo

So, guys... a couple more images, this time of some work on the wing outer sections. In the left photo, you can see the upper and undersurfaces of the top wing, and the two pieces on the left are the top and bottom of the lower wing, the latter being entirely dark gray-blue.

In the right-side photo, the rib tapes - using 2mm Tamiya tape - have been removed after the camouflage and brown staining has been applied, thus showing the stark undercoat. The last part of the process will be to respray the ribs in the appropriate camouflage colour to tidy things up and tone down the stark rib tape areas, so that they just ghost through, as you can also see in the previous set of images when you look at the horizontal tail; the ailerons, elevators and rudder will all be subjected to the same process in due course, but thankfully will be a shorter piece of work to complete given their smaller size.

Regards,

Paul

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

The detail painting you are doing is really awesome, Paul (@paulh). I can't wait to see the final camouflage on this beast. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Great paintwork indeed, Paul @paulh
    Looking forward to the final stage on this rib process.

• Profile Photo

Ditto with @gblair 's and @johnb 's coments, @paulh!
    Speechless of your painting skills!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys... hope to get some more work done on this tomorrow... :-).

• Profile Photo

Right, then... next up, the competed painting of the wing ribs. As you saw in the previous post above, these were at the stage of needing toned down, and I used an Iwata Neo spraygun with the needle set to narrow spray and set about the undersides of the top wing first, which are in the pale shade of blue; there wasn't too much to tidy up on these areas, but I did draw back some of the staining so that it was a little closer to the ribs, by carefully spraying between the ribs and narrowing down the brown shade; however, I did leave them relatively uneven in presentation as I felt it gave a better look.

Similarly, on the upper surface of the top wing and all of the lower wing parts, the stark ribs were overpainted in grey-blue. Each surface has about 18-20 ribs so you can imagine how much work was involved, as well as time - roughly two hours in total. The paint, despite being necessarily thin, went on well but did require a couple of additional coats to each rib. Once into a rhythm, this was surprisingly therapeutic in a process that I had initially thought would be quite laborious. I have to admit I ran out of the grey-blue shade sooner than expected and had to mix some more. As you can imagine, few compound colours rarely hit the same shade a second time but I think I was quite close nonetheless, if a fraction darker. What I was pleased about was the brown shading along each rib staying strong despite the thin overlays of grey-blue. I deliberately left the ribs in slightly differering degrees of overpaint.

After this, the larger part of the national markings were applied to the wing surfaces and the lower sections covering the two sets of ailerons will be added in due course. The walkways to the outside of the engines have also been painted in and blackwashed.

In the last image on the right, I did a dry run with the lower wings to gauge how things were coming along. You can also see the ailerons, elevators and rudder in the background, taped and waiting for their final paintwork to be applied. After that, there will be no hiding place, and I will have to start thinking about attaching the upperwing centre section and start to do some rigging... we'll see how that goes. Am I allowed to silently shout 'help!' ? Lol... ;-).

Thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Paul

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic so far, my friend @paulh! Your painting techniques are second to.none! Yes, some serious rigging is ahead, something your great skills will definitely carry out in excellence.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

This is really some stunning work, @paulh. There's a really excellent result coming.