C.R.D.A. CANT Z.501

Started by Anthony Ricco · 26 · 8 months ago · CANT, float plane, gabbiano, Italian air force, italy, Regia Aeronautica, seagull, World War 2, Z.501
  • Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Decided to work on a new Italian kit - The Seagull 'Gabbiano' CANT Z.501. Used widely before and during WW2 but made to try and build good favour for Italy and Mussolini and break records showing the Italian Aviation prowess, but this hampered it wartime performance.

Used a lot for reconnaissance, this very interesting plane makes for a nice model. Let's see how it goes.

The very old style instructions make for some interesting and confusing reading.

Decals are a bit yellowed and old but hopefully some time in the sun and a clear coat will fix them up.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

To start off with the interior I decided to practice a bit, even though it will be barely visible I wanted to try and work on some paint techniques, the plane is made of wood and painted over in the interior with green and on the outside its covered with material.

So time to practice some wood chipped weathering. so I painted the wood by starting with a light brown then streaking oils over that with a hard brush, then I did some lines and knots in the wood with a fine paintbrush, I used different brown tones for this.

After that had dried a Clear orange was applied to give it a nice wood finish.

• Profile Photo

Here is the wood finish

• Profile Photo

Next up was the pilots, this is an old kit with very basic figures which made painting them quite a challenge especially for an amateur figure painter like me. Someone told me they are from the future with playstation controllers in their hands hahaha.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Back to the cockpit and some hairspray chipping, the cockpit was clear coated then sprayed with hairspray and then the green interior paint was applied, and lighted and given some mottling for a bit of depth and interest.

Then the magic, before it had dried too long a wet cotton bud rubbed onto it starts to remove some of the paint and reveal the wood beneath. Very happy with the result and the quick mockup.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Once all else was done fuselage could go together and masked and primed canopy going on hiding all the fun work beneath - luck I have photos hahaha.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Amazing progress, my friend @anthonyricco!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice start on this kit, Anthony @anthonyricco
    This seaplane has such elegant lines, looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

An oldie but goody Italeri, nice choice. Good size for this scale. Off to a nice start with the interior. Looking forward to whats next.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Coming along nicely Anthony, always good to have some pic's of the interior !

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 9 months ago:

So next up on the CANT was the struts and pontoons. and a quick mockup for fun - quite big it's 72nd scale and the wigspan is longer than a 1/48 Tornado.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Fantastic progress, my friend @anthonyricco!

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot Spiros

• Profile Photo

Paintwork then started, did some mottling because I wanted the aluminium to look a bit faded. Also painted the black bottom of the plane.

• Profile Photo

Then the challenge of the sunburst on the top of the wings, they all converge to a very tight point so when I masked it in place the tape overlapped, tried cutting thin strips, doing one at a time, then finally I printied out the artwork, stuck a piece of plastic over it and then cut the tape out on there and then moved it onto the plane, That plan worked. - Very happy with the sunburst.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.