Cant Z-501 Flying Boat Italeri

Started by Bernard Bedeur · 22 · 12 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard Bedeur said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks for inviting me to this group celebration of the Regina Aeronautica.
    Here’s what I plane to build, time permitting. Very exciting all and this graceful record breaking plane will be put together alongside build progress photos as they occur.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

What an amazing entry, my friend @bernardbedeur!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This is a great entry, Bernard @bernardbedeur
    An elegant aircraft not so often seen. Looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Very interesting choice Bernard - welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gentlemen !

I never participated in a group build but it is a great motivator and gives me confidence and support in a common passion.

I like the tribute to Italy’s Air Force . The Italian Native made and designed Aircraft are and we’re first class overall with high performance and innovative technologies.

The Cant was on my list of Flying Boats to build and now this opportunity to get it going !

The real plane was made of wood with a single Engine over the Pilot !

It’s range and endurance made it suited for maritime patrol over the “ Mare Nostrum “ and Italian holdings in Africa. Plus it served With the Nationalist Forces during the Spanish Civil War.

The Italeri Kit is old but still has nice Detail.

Today I unpack and look over the instructions.

If I feel up to it I will build Rescue Version ( not sure if this is so ) with the Red Sun Burst Pattern on top of the Wings.

The instructions allow for 3 Versions w.o. Saying to which unit they belonged. So the Sun burst version I assume was meant for Armed Rescue missions, but if anyone know more detail I would love to hear more about that.

Here are a few pictures after opening the Box.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks like this is going to be an amazing build, Bernard @bernardbedeur
    Your chosen scheme will look superb.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Ditto with what our friend @johnb said, my friend @bernardbedeur! Superb scheme chosen!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Brilliant Bernard @bernardbedeur - what a cool plane, I have this in my stash and really can't wait to do it - I love the sunburst on the upper wings, go for it man, its going to look fantastic.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Anthony.
    I realise I am an assembler of Kits. Not so much a builder !
    This owing to the fact that I build out of the box. Albeit with some minor additions.
    This one has fine detail that will make joining the fuselage a bit tricky. One piece at a time …

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I got a go at this elegant boat/plane just a week ago.

I’m taking it in small steps so as to not mess it up.

The parasol type wings will be a challenge to mount with all the bracing. But I got the pilots spiffed up Italian style and studied the sometimes different than most Italeri instruction sheet.

I learned that this plane was built by the Cantiere Aeronautica Navali Trieste or Trieste aeronautical aviation Yard . The government requirement in the Design Competition called for a Flying Boat that could fit under the covered Yacht style hangars. Therefore it is not a very large craft . The Single Engine bracing was problematic in Taxiing or Landing in rough choppy Seas where it could separate itself from the Housing, falling right front of the pilot station !

Bracing was added later ( which I will not build ! ) that must have made it get more drag and probably whistled like crazy ! The man in the engine/ Gunner station must have been miserable . All in all a beautiful light air and sea Craft that performed best in Rescue though I wonder how many it could Pick up at one time. Being so light. The fuselage had plenty of room judging from photos the whole structure made by boat builders, Canoe style.

• Profile Photo

Bernard @bernardbedeur - I have moved the new part to the original topic as we discussed.
    Does it look OK, or should I delete it again?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard Bedeur said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks for doing that. I’m not very literate in computer work and posting skills.
    On top of that my hobby space is not in a heated room so I move slowly forward when I can.
    Thanks again,

• Profile Photo

My pleasure Bernard - I will then delete the other topic for you and you can continue in this one when the weather permits!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard Bedeur said 12 months ago:

In this noble art ..Working during winter made me just be able to glue up 1/76 trucks and armour , close to the stove. For paint I had to wait for warmer weather. ( 31 Atmospheric Rivers later ! ) as my model area is not heated at the moment. Nonetheless I kept looking at the beautiful Seagull I started.

The contemplation alone is part of the fun for me. Like thinking it through over long periods of time.

Brooding. After all the top wings of the Gabiano show a Red Sunburst on a field of what looks like doped Aluminium fabric. A bit over my skill level…

For the Color I mixed all Tamiya; FX 16 Flat Aluminum mixed with 1/2 part FX-80 Royal Light Gray for the fabric or wood. The primer was Tamiya spray can grey.

To save it from smudging a light coat of flat MIG varnish and gloves from now on with a compressed air cleaning duster nearby.

The photo shows my steps. Trace the wing. Make the Pattern. Trace it on tracing paper and try have it all converge after cutout Tamiya tape.

I did it in 2 sittings with a week in between. I’m happy so far and thinking of decal-ing it now, but not sure that’s a good idea or not.

On to making it all come down with bracing and studs . That’s another challenge as they say.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Fantastic so far, my friend @bernardbedeur! Great to see this beauty progressing!