F104G/S Starfighter, 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 43 · 1 week ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

With the Macchi Saetta just about finished, next up in That's Italian is Hasegawa's 1/48th F104-G, updated to an "S" variant used by the Italian Air Force. Using the Taiwan boxing of the F-104G.

This will be my first look at the Hasegawa F-104 kit in any version. Reviews and builds over the years have been positive and the builds outstanding. This was an opportunity to finally build the kit that has been in the stash for a few years and perfect to coincide with building a Kinetic/Eduards F-104C for the Vietnam GB.
    In the box as I pop the lid.

Typical and practical easy to follow Hasegawa fold out instruction sheet. In several languages, provides the parts map, paint list with Gunze paint suggested and colors.

1st step is in the cockpit starting with the seat. Finally the paint scheme for 2 Taiwanese fighters. The decal sheet with markings and stencils.

Extra goodies that was already in the kit from the seller, is the True Details Resin Martin Baker C2 seat and Eduard's F-104G zoom set.

I have a Quinta F-104S/ASA interior set on order and should receive that soon.
    Now the plastic, sprue A., is the fuselage halves, nose cone in halves, intake shock cones and engine exahust pipe halves.

The fuselage halves are the nice fine engraved panel lines that Hasegawa is good for in this series of 48th scale jets, the nose cone looks shart and accurate for this version. Interior details with internal ribbing on each side of the cockpit area.

Next sprue contains the wings, gear doors and weapons pylons.

The wings are thin and again excellent details on both upper and lower surfaces.

The main gear doors interior details are well done. The pylons can be used for the Italian version, still pondering if to configure in air intercept or ground attack mode.

Next sprue has the horizontal T-stab, wing lower halves, flaps and ailerons.

The famous distinctive T-horizontal stab. Lower wing panel.

Next sprue has the drop tanks, exhaust cone with afterburners closed, Lower fuselage insert with nose gear bay.

The lower fuselage insert with the nose gear bay with decent interior details. Closed exhaust outlet w/closed petals.

The next sprue contains most of the interior details, avionics, instrument panel, landing gear.

The instrument panel is for a Taiwanese G, it will be upgraded for the Italian version.

The exhaust outlet details. Delicate pipes and hoses. Main gear strut. Wheels and separate tires.

The nose wheel, exhaust interior, and nose gear strut.

Next sprue is a small one that contains the seat parts,

The ejection seat grab handles, Martin Baker C2 seat side panels,

The next sprue contains gear bay bulkheads, interior gear bay roof panel, cockpit tub, lower strake.

The main gear bay roof, with decent details. Fuselage upper insert. cockpit tub, front dash coaming panel. And open exhaust nozzle.

Next up some pre painting on interior components.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Another superb entry, my friend @uscusn! Thanks for the detailed kit presentation!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

@uscusn
    Cool choice Chuck! I have a semi started Kinetic ASA version for a special scheme the Italian used during the 96 Tigermeet I saw in person. I just might add it in this GB to keep up with your Hasegawa kit.
    Really looking forward to see your next instalments

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Always good to see a Starfighter being build, Chuck @uscusn
    The details of this kit look promising.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Good to have a "pregnant needle" here too!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros, keeping up ith you and Louis.
    Hi Pedro, I'm also starting work on the Eduard's F104-C "Zipper" kit which is Kinetic plastic. Will start WIP on that as well shortly. It has been quite awhile building a 104. Last one was the Revell 72nd kit.
    Thanks John, it is still my favorite Century series subject.
    Thanks Eric, jets galore, 104's and F-16's on the bench.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

As my usual way in getting started is to paint some of the interior components starting with Dark Gull Grey FS36320 for the cockpit tub and interior of the fuselage halves.

Next is the nose and main gear bays Vallejo Aluminum

Also bulkheads, dive brake well and shock cone.

Next is to start work in the cockpit.
    More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice preperation work, Chuck @uscusn
    What brand of paint did you use for the FS36320

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Spiros, always with encouragement, Happy New Year

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi john, I used Polly Scale Acrylic for the FS36320, thanks for asking. It was the last of it by the way. ordered a new bottle but this time Gunze Aqueous.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looks like your off to a great start, a F-104 is definitely on my "must do" list. Keep up the hard work!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

This will be fun one, Chuck (@uscusn). The 104 is one of those planes that always looks fast, even when it is sitting on the ramp. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks David, this will be a fun build, I have been chomping on the bit to build it for the last year or so, wasn't sure what subject to represent it, then the Italian GB was suggested and that was the motivation was to build in Italian livery. Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks George, it is one of those jets that has that profile of action just parked on the ramp. Happy New Year.