SMĚR 1/50 Reggiane Re.2000 Falco

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 106 · 6 months ago · 1/48, 1/50, AM100 GB, RE2000, Reggiane, smer
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year ago:

Well done @fiveten - looking great! (and thanks to @pikofix for the heads-up on the wheel bays)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Milan Tesař said 6 months ago:

So all honor and hats off. I know this kit and it's terrible. It can be seen that in skilled hands it can be made into a beautiful model. Congratulations.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Thank you so much, my friend @milantesar!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 6 months ago:

Good job!
    I built that kit as a teenager and despite it being a terrible kit, it was surprisingly good fun. I added an electromotor and LED navigation lights to it, since the fuselage had plenty of room for that stuff.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @skyraider3d! The electric driven prop and led navigation lights must have been an awesome sight!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 6 months ago:

It was fun! The LEDs were a bit oversized though (all I could get in those days), but it was nice to bring it to life. I figured since the kit itself wasn't too good, it would go some way compensating for that (and it did as I have fond memories of it).

In 1995 I stocked up on Směr kits during a visit to the Czech republic and this was one of them. Others were a Macchi floatplane racer (which I dropped out of my hands the minute in finished it; it shattered and it was in the bin the next minute as I had just spent several agonising hours rigging the b-st-rd and would definitely not want to repeat that!). Another was a Walrus, which was nice and bulky and surprisingly impressive sitting on the shelf. Yet another was a "1/48" Savoia SM 79, which I still have, but I reckon it's not worth building. I'm not even sure I can be bothered to use it as a paint mule it's that bad! Lastly there was a 1/72 Dewoitine D.520, which was a copy of the classic Heller kit (which I had built in the past), but including a pilot, and good fun to build. All in all a variety of experiences with these chunks of plastic, but at least they didn't break the bank! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months ago:

Looks great, Spiros (@fiveten). This is a tough kit and you have really brought it up to a high level. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 6 months ago:

This kit reminds me of the Classic Airframes P-43 Lancer kit I built in 2002. That kit was an absolute horrid kit. I had to add a nearly 1/4" plug in the fuselage because it was too short. But the fun part of it was the research I did on one of the Australian Lancers used for photo recon. I have a sizable set of reference photos now because of it.

• Profile Photo

Dealing with the bigger LEDs must have been indeed, my friend @skyraider3d. Amazing what could be done in the past with only what we had available. I have also collected an number of Smĕr kits, basically found them at killer prices during the early 2000s or so. Looks like nobody bought them , so the prices were kept low. Thay usually are digs to build, the molds are too used, mold shift and flash are more than evident everywhere, not to mention the simplicity of the kits at first place. Oh, well, sometimes they are fun to tackle, sometimes not at all, and I can imagine your frustration when you dropped the Macchi 😞.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

I also have the Classic Airframes Lancer, my friend @clipper, periodically open the box, peek into and then close it again 🤭

• Profile Photo

Spiros(@fiveten), the Dora Wings kit is far better (although it does have PE cowl flaps). About the only thing the CA kit is good for is the resin parts, and then only some of those.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @clipper!
    So, the only chance to build the CA is to switch my "glutton for punishment" mode on 🙂

• Profile Photo

It's probably no worse than the SMER kit you built here, but if you have a desire to build a P-43, then the Dora Wings kit is worth the money. Less heartache and and as I have heard Tom (@tcinla) mention in the past, far fewer purple clouds over the work bench. 🙂