Eagle Cal 1/48 AVG Curtiss Hawk - Airfix P-40B.

Started by John Healy · 39 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I got a start at the Flying Tigers 3rd Squadron Hawk this week. This is the second one of these Airfix P-40s that I’ll have built and it offers no surprises. It’s an excellent kit. I’m leaning towards doing Chuck Older’s plane. Later in life, Older presided over the Manson family trial as a Los Angeles Superior Court judge. He was an interesting guy who like so many others of his generation achieved so much throughout their lives.

I mixed the lighter Curtiss interior green from Humbrol interior green and Testors yellow zinc chromate. One of the neat features of this kit are the cockpit placards that Airfix provided as decals. Nice touch.

The lap belts are from Eduard.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks great so far John! interior work looks like it's coming along very well. Good luck on your build- Airfix kit is a really nice one with few problems

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great entry and equally great progress, my friend @j-healy!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great work on the interior, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

That cockpit is looking really good @j-healy.

I was privileged to meet Older. He lived up to his billing from two lawyers I knew who had been in his courtroom: a formidable presence. He disliked both the F4F he flew as Marine and the P-40 because of their narrow landing gear, on grounds that if you're landing with damage, you need all the help you can get. Needless to say, his favorite was the P-51 because of its wide gear.

• Profile Photo

More progress. I love this kit.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, John @j-healy
    I do remember this kit and it did build indeed nicely, fitting was great.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice work here John !

These Airfix P-40’s are a sweet building kit and they look really nice once completed too. You are knocking this one out of the park.

I have a similar set of Eagle Cal decals but mine are for the 1st AVG Squadron. It has a set of markings for a plane flown by Dick Rossi and another one flown by Greg Boyington. This is the set I mentioned to you earlier tonight.

I’m partway through building up mine but it’s not quite as far along as you are.

Looks great ! Keep it going my friend I’ll be checking in again soon.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic progress, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Paint time. Airfix recommends using Humbrol #28 Grey, #116 green, and #119 tan to replicate DuPont RAF equivalent colors. These shades look very close to period color photos. I used the Humbrol grey and tan and both went on well, thinned 1:1 with Mr. Color Levelling Thinner. I’m going to substitute Xtracolor’s green base Olive Drab for the #116 as the colors match almost perfectly and I prefer spraying Xtracolor gloss whenever possible.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Light gray and tan look great, my friend @j-healy. Good decision on going for the OD in place of the dark green.

• Profile Photo

Very nice result on the painting, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo

I used camouflage masks for the first time. The real thing was painted with masks so I thought I’d give it a go. This set is from AML and is made from a translucent vinyl. They fit surprisingly well. I sprayed the Xtracolor green base Olive Drab and returned the masks to their backing sheet. I’ll use them on my final Airfix P-40 to be finished as a camouflaged Soviet example with partial whitewash.

I’ll need to touch up some areas, especially on the fin and rudder as each plane was slightly different in that area.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress so far! Haven't used masks myself for camo but might give it a try after seeing your result.

• Profile Photo

These masks work really great, my friend @j-healy!
    Very nice result!