1/48 BREWSTER BUFFALO F2A-2 **FINISHED**

Started by gary sausmikat · 63 · 9 months ago · 1/48, buffalo, F2A-2, Jim Sullivan, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months ago:

Thanks. Yes, I'm fortunate to have a nice place to escape to.

This morning I was able to re-scribe missing seams, apply the main color and paint the gear, Aluminum.

Pics do not show the color difference very well from the primer to the main color but on the bench it's more noticeable.

Not sure if it's the "correct" color gray but for the main color I used AK Real Colors RC220, Light Gull Grey.
    I'm pleased with the color. I really like using this line of paints. So far very user friendly...but wear your protective gear.

Hopefully later I will start creating the marking masks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months ago:

Progressing nicely, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

The color does look good to me, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Guys!

Productive day today.
    Created the masks and started with the insignias.

Applied entire mask for placement.

Removed the stars and center balls. Painted the white first:

Replaced the star mask and center ball...painted the Blue

Masked off the Blue, removed the red center mask and painted the Red balls.

I had one bloop but certainly cannot complain given the amount of masking and multiple sequences.

Tomorrow I'll fix the mistake and plan to paint the fuselage numbers.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months ago:

That looks very good Gary. I’ve done plenty self cut canopy masks but never markings. Any advice?

• Profile Photo

Super job on the insignias, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo

Excellent work on the insignias, Gary @gwskat
    A lot of work but definitely worth it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Eric, Spiros, John.

For this project I needed to paint the upcoming fuselage numbers so I thought I'd keep going and do all the markings.
    I will admit decals are so much easier than painting and with most aftermarket sets the quality is good but like canopy masking I don't mind the time and effort that goes in to painting.

In answer to Erics question. @eb801
    Tips I have found to be useful. Anyone else have any, chime in.

-Take your time, think the process/steps through. This will keep things simpler from artwork creation through to how, when and what to mask and paint.
    -Start with good art work. I use inkscape, a free, vector graphic based artwork software, to create the artwork. If you are not familiar, vector based will give you true, smooth lines and curves not blocky pixels.
    -I have had good luck with frisket paper as the masking material.
    -I find I get a better adhesion to a gloss surface. These AK RC paints were pretty smooth so I did not a clear gloss prior to masking.
    -When painting/airbrushing, build up the colors with light and "dry" passes. This, most of the time, keeps the paint from seeping under the masks.

• Profile Photo

HAPPY INDEPENCANCE DAY! for the US iModelers

"09's" applied.
    Compared to the JS pic the numbers are a bit too thin but I'm not going back to re-do.

Going to let them dry and then I will very lightly wet sand the markings to smooth them out. I hope !?!?!?

• Profile Photo

Happy 4th of July, Gary @gwskat
    The 09's look great as well as the correction.

• Profile Photo

All looking super, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months ago:

This is really looking nice, Gary @gwskat. You don't see many planes in the gray scheme. It really make the decals stand out.

• Profile Photo

Okay, I lied. This was a one step forward, two steps back moment but glad I did. The "09's" I painted just weren't sitting well with me...too thin...so I did them over. Cut new masks and repainted. Now I think they look more like the original.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months ago:

I agree the new numbers look more like the pic. Really looking good Gary.

• Profile Photo

Looking like in the pic, my friend @gwskat! Super job!