1/48 PIPER NE-1 **FINISHED**

Started by gary sausmikat · 80 · 7 months ago · 1/48, Hobbycraft, Jim Sullivan, Piper NE-1
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months ago:

Thanks, All.
    Eric, I will give it a try. For my recent yellow builds I added a couple of drops of red directly into the full paint jar...this seemed to make the yellow less transparent and requiring less coats.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Added wing struts and primed white

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Very good progress, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Painted the four insignia areas, wings and fuselage, AK Real Color, RC222, Insignia White in prep for the masks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looks great, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    I'll echo what our good friend Spiros said ! Looks great indeed... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

That sure looks good with that white primer and struts, Gary @gwskat. Say, is that a plastic piece from a roll on deodorant housing that you are using to support your Piper under the tail?

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks All!

Pretty close, Eric...LOL Yes, it's the top to the deodorant I use but it's not roll on...HAHAHA. Actually, what I use them for is a reservoir to put my CA in why I'm building. At the end of each session I wipe out the CA and they last for a number of uses. It just happened to be a handy object to prop up the tail while painting.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nicely done, Gary @gwskat
    Great idea on how to make this deodorant top still valuable.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Amongst work, traveling and home projects here is my latest, slow progress, including a major hiccup, over the last couple of weeks

Cut and masked insignias

Painted Yellow...when I discovered a seam, between the clear&plastic parts, opened up. Most likely due to a combination of only using super glue, not hotter glue to "weld" the seam and stress from being heavy handed while painting...? Who knows...but there it was.

After filling the seam, sanding the area, blending filler to feather out the area and sanding again, and that process multiple times, I decided to move on though it's far from smooth. Don't look too close!

Painted Yellow...again.
    Painted Insignias.

Despite my setback I'm fairly pleased with the results.
    Up next...fix some of the insignia, decal the tail codes and piper cub, semi gloss clear.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Solid progress, my friend @gwskat! Looked close but could not see the seam.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks perfect, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Added tail decals. Numbers and letters were individual digits from the spares box. The Cub emblems were from the kit.

Airbrushed a satin coat with VMS Satin Varnish.

I broke off the tail wheel support earlier in the build so I scratch built a new support, using three layers of sheet styrene to simulate the real support, and added the kit wheel. I will add the linkage towards the end of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Great looking tail decals and ditto save on the tail wheel support, my friend @gwskat!