A pair of 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs: VMF-214 Greg "Pappy" Boyington F4U-1 numbers #883 and #740

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 3 months ago · 1/48, Blacksheep, Corsair, Tamiya, VMF-214
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Fantastic progress, my friend @lgardner! Your Corsairs are excellent down to the slightest detail so far. Looking forward to the painting!

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

You are forging ahead, and these really look like Corsairs, now. 🙂

I'm getting good tips from your work that will apply to the -1D I'm doing.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Some serious progress done yesterday, Louis @lgardner
    All the attention you give them will definitely result in some great Corsairs.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 11 months ago:

Just 2?, You have the factory floor with several more airframes to be assembled. The pair you have in progress are full of details and love the descriptions except I wish you would point out the colors your using. The interior in my end looks grey, but you had one notation at the armor plate one in Dk Dull Green and the other one Black. I am aware of Pappy's ups and downs and had a great convsersation with him when I ran into him at the Chino Air Show as I was home before reporting to my next duty station. It was a humbling experience for me. Seeing all the Corsairs is like a flash back to the Vought factory in Stratford,Connecticut. I have 3 more in the stash. And here is to another show of Baa Baa Black Sheep. You have these wired for sure and without the help of PE or any other aftermarket details sets. other than a set of decals. So whats next?

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 11 months ago:

Looking good, Louis. Keep 'em rolling!

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 11 months ago:

excellent progress this weekend @lgardener. Keep it rolling.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

Looks like the Iron Werkes is going full throttle, Louis @lgardner. Excellent!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@lgardner - Fantastic progress Louis. I appreciate the detail you go into as I'm sure it will help me with my Corsair builds, Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thank you for the kind words. Today I did get some painting done and I will post it up next.

Anna-Elizabeth (@tankgrrl)
    Thank you. These two have gone together very quickly because I have had many things pre assembled in what I have been calling my "Corsair Kindergarten". I still have 6 more of them ready to be finished in the Kindergarten staging area as I decide which markings to go for. One will definitely be a John Bolt Corsair and it will be coming up very soon.
    The Tamiya F4U-1D is basically the same kit as the F4U-1A, only it has the extra parts for installing the underwing rockets and twin pylons under the center wing. Please stay tuned as I have more information coming up that you might find useful.

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thank you John. I made some good progress today as well. Please stay tuned as I intend to post it up next.

Chuck A. Villanueva (@uscusn)
    Yes sir the good old "Iron Werke" is up and running !

You are a lucky man to have talked with him. It was even more special since you were in the Navy at the time, and I'm sure that he respected you for that as well. I can imagine how you must have felt after the encounter, humbled is a great way to put it. I always wanted to meet Pappy. He was my childhood hero. Unfortunately he died from lung cancer before I got the chance to do so.

I used Model Master RLM 70 to duplicate the Dull Dark Green cockpit color that is used on these early Corsairs that were made by Vought. On the Goodyear versions, they used Interior Green instead. I used the RLM 70 German color because it closely resembled the color I saw on the Corsair that was recovered from the Great lakes some years ago. It was well preserved and my home made MM paint cards looked to be very close to what was there.

I say bring on your Corsairs, and build them if you have time to. I have plans to make a few more as FAA planes, and one as a RNZAF aircraft from the Solomon's. One can never have too many F4U's !

Thanks my friend.

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)

Thanks Gary for the comments. The Iron Werke is up and running !

David Butler (@dbutlr)
    Wide open throttle here. The Corsair assembly line is running along nicely. Thanks !

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    Wide open throttle indeed ! Thanks buddy. Your Ta-152 looks great in the headlines section.

Brian Mennenoh (@brithebuilder)
    Thank you for the kind words. Please stay tuned, as I have another installment coming right up. I hope it helps you with your build.

• Profile Photo

OK boys and girls, here we go. Today's painting progress is here.

I started out by painting on the Flat White color on the undersides.

Sharp eyed readers will pick up on a 3rd set of landing gear and inboard flaps. These additional parts will soon be used for a John Bolt F4U. I will be building up one of the planes he flew while flying with VMF-214 very soon, since the Iron Werke is running at full wartime capacity now. Also look out for a few FAA U-birds, and one from the RNZAF as well (OK maybe two of them) 😉 you know how I am...

These are the main landing gear. It's easy to assemble them first, then paint them as a unit.

Here you can see the 3 sets of inboard landing flaps. I was in the zone, and didn't take any pictures of the actual Corsairs after only the Flat White paint had been sprayed on.

I sprayed the white paint on first... In hindsight, it would have been easier to spray the outer wing panels first. Here I have painted them using Model Master Intermediate Blue color. I'm old school and still prefer enamels. They stick and don't peel up when you remove tape.

Here I am coming back and masking off the outer wing panels, in preparation for painting the "Flat White" color along the wing fold line. On some of these Corsairs, this line was sharp, on others it was feathered in. One these two Boyington Corsairs, existing photos show they were sharp. So I masked them off to make a clean demarcation line in between the colors.

Now I have masked off the rest of the underside of the wings.

Both Corsairs are ready for the Flat White paint to be re-sprayed along the wing fold lines.

The Flat White has been sprayed on now, touching up the areas along the masking.

It would have been much easier to paint the outer wing panels first using Intermediate Blue, then paint the Flat White on afterwards.

This is how they both looked after I removed the masking tape.

When I was spraying on the Intermediate Blue, I sprayed the rudder and fin. I will come back now and start masking off the rest of the fuselage and upper wings in preparation to spray on some more Intermediate Blue, and Dark Sea Blue.

If time permits, I will try to get this done tomorrow.

So please stay tuned.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

One more thing that is important about the bombing window that is located under the fuselage.

This is a screen shot I picked up from another website. here Dana Bell is talking about the serial number range where this bombing window was no longer incorporated. It seems like the windows were simply replaced with a metal cover from Vought built aircraft following Bureau Number 50067, and Goodyear built planes after Bureau Number 13893.
    Sometimes they were painted over in the field as some have stated... but in every picture I have seen, none were painted over.

The main reason why they were eliminated was because of carbon monoxide leaks into the cockpit... which is not a good thing to have.

The Corsair had these CO problems for a while it seems. This is part of the reason why the FAA aircraft had separate scoops installed.

So I simply masked off the windows on these two Corsairs. Now you know why.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Amazing progress, my friend @lgardner! Your painting results are, simply, superb! Great info about the underside windows.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Amazing progress indeed, Louis @lgardner
    Paintwork does look very smooth.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thanks gentlemen for the compliments on the paint work. Today I managed to get the Intermediate Blue done. It took me a while to mask it off, and only a few minutes to spray.

Here's what these two Corsairs look like right now.

The planes are masked here and have been sprayed at this point. I didn't take any pre paint photos today.

The sides of the fuselage and nose were sprayed using Model Master "Intermediate Blue" enamel. My stash of this stuff is dwindling... 🙁

I especially like how it sprays on and it is usually more durable than acrylics when masking over it.

There's a slight difference in how the underside of the nose is painted on these two Corsairs. One is more of the typical style and has a straight line, while the other on has a wrap around under the nose, with more Intermediate Blue present.

I will come back and carefully spray some more white paint along the border to make it look more subtle and not so stark in the demarcation lines between the colors. Once I'm satisfied with that part, I'll mask off these two again and spray the Dark Sea Blue next.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looking really good, Louis @lgardner