A pair of 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs: VMF-214 Greg "Pappy" Boyington F4U-1 numbers #883 and #740

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 4 months ago · 1/48, Blacksheep, Corsair, Tamiya, VMF-214
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Superb progress, Louis @lgardner
    Thanks a lot for sharing this tape related information, very interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

Great info on the reason for using that tape. Didn't know about that fuel spillage issue until now. Learn something new everyday. Thanks Louis @lgardner

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months ago:

@lgardner - now that I have accesws to Gunze-Sangyo paints again (available at Burbank House of Hobbies and their website), I find that Gunze's take on Intermediate Blue, Sea Blue and Flat White are far more accurate colors to start with. the Flat White is just slightly "off-white" which makes it not so bright. The Intermediate Blue is a little lighter than Tamiya's, while the Sea Blue is more blue and less green than Tamiya's take on the color. They look like the period color photos I have. I highly recommend them as the basis for USN tri-color schemes.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 11 months ago:

Looking really nice, Louis! I like the tape details.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Thanks everyone.

I don’t have much spare time right now so this installment will be very short. I’ll try to make it up in the near future.

The decals were sealed with my homemade brew of Future and Tamiya Flattening Agent.

After this dried, I sprayed on some semi gloss clear using a Rustoleum rattle can that I had picked up at a local home improvement store.

This might have been a mistake. I should’ve just left it alone.

For some reason I have some kind of reaction on the upper wing decals on #740. There’s something going on here that is causing some tiny bubbles to appear in the decal.

I might have been too heavy with the application of the rattle can clear.

Thankfully the reaction is only showing up on the upper wing. Hopefully it doesn’t happen in other places.

I’ll know more later on tonight when this stuff is completely dry.

As always comments are appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Too bad. You were on a roll there Louis @lgardner. Did the Rustoleum mess up the paint? Doesn’t look like it. Seems like you can just pull the star & bars up and replace it. Or did you already seal it?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months ago:

Dam

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Strange reaction indeed, my friend @lgardner. Hope you sort it out one way or another.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

That hurts to see it like this, Louis @lgardner
    Let's hope it can be solved easily.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 11 months ago:

Oh that Sucks! Sorry to see that, Louis.

• Profile Photo

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    I think it was the Rustoleum that did mess up the decals, but thankfully not too bad for the paint. It wasn't harmed other than it became really soft and tacky under the decals. It would not let me lift the decals up using tape. These were stuck in place.

Tom Bebout (@tom-bebout)
    I was thinking on the same line... but worse ! I have made some progress, and I think I have this mistake fixed now. So please check back soon.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    I have never seen or had this happen before. I use enamels, and the Rustoleum is an enamel too. The only thing I can think of, is there had to be some sort of reaction between the "Future" clear coat and the Rustoleum, but it only happened directly on top of the decals. It didn't harm the paint anywhere else. Weird.

I'm thinking the Rustoleum was too concentrated in some form. I'll save it for use in the shop now... and not use it again on my models.

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    It was unfortunate. I was able to fix it, but it wasn't easy... I'll show what happened coming up next.

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    I agree with you 100 percent ! I was able to fix things... so please stay tuned.

• Profile Photo

Here is what I did to fix the decal problems. let me start out by stating I do not in any way think the problem was caused by the decals.

Instead it had to be that I applied the Rustoleum Clear on too heavy.

You can see how the clear affected the Styrofoam base I had the models sitting on when I sprayed the clear. The paint ate into the foam a little.

The foam also stuck to the wheels too.

I took these pictures before I started removing the decals for placement references.

I tried to lift the decals up using tape. They didn't even budge. If anything, they laughed at me and said "Is that all you got ?"

So I resorted to a more drastic measure.

VERY carefully I scraped away the decals using a brand new razor blade. The end result looked like this:

Some of you will note that one of the main landing gear is broken off. Yep... I dropped the plane. I was not having a good day. So I walked away.

The next morning I had a brilliant idea, (at least to me), and it was something I have never done before on any of my builds.

After carefully sanding down the surfaces I had previously scraped, I decided to cut out the wing tip navigation lights.

I glued in some scrap clear plastic from a parts tree, after I drilled out a hole to represent the bulb. I painted the drilled hole with a Blue on one side and red on the other. This one is the red side.

And here is the Blue / Green one.

They sanded down nicely, and polished out even better.

Here you can see how the background light shows the improvised light bulb.
    Then it was time to glue the landing gear back on, and repaint the messed up areas.

Now Corsair #740 is looking like this. Much better...

The next step was to spray on some more "Future" to help make the surface better for the upcoming new insignia decals.

Then I scrounged a set of insignia from the decal stash. I actually used the solid white insignia for an overall GSB Corsair as the base. These were included in a 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D kit. They provided the "wings" for the field modified round star insignia.

The round part of the insignia was also scavenged from another set of Tamiya Corsair decals. These came from a Tamiya F4U-1 "birdcage" version. They were placed on top of the first set, and they fit like they were meant to be.

Now the "Stars" have "Bars". I have yet to add the other round circle star on the underside of the wing on the other side. I wanted to see how this turned out first.

Tonight if things go well, I will add the missing underwing insignia, and possibly the wing fuel tank seam tapes too.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months ago:

Nice save buddy. Steady as she goes.

• Profile Photo

Those navigation lights really made a difference, Louis. Whenever I make them, I have to check three times minimum to make sure I get the bulb location correct before drilling the bulb hole. I’ve had to redo them at least once or twice. You’ve not just saved your Corsair but improved it immensely in the process.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

@lgardner - Louis, this isn't just a "save", you're making improvements after what could be a disheartening setback. Well Done!