Dual Corsair Build

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 130 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I filled in the step in the wing flap for the 1A with a couple bits of plasticard and some Testors Contour Putty and also painted the figures for the 1A. I'm not sure I'll use either or both... if the cockpit details are obscured by the pilot I will likely opt to leave him out. The pilot for the 1D has to be placed in the cockpit in order to place his arms correctly so that has to wait. Again, not sure if he'll be used.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking good Brian.

• Profile Photo

@tom-bebout - Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Brian Mennenoh (@brithebuilder)
    Painting figures is something that I am horrible at. You are rocking yours ! As far as the fill in step, that's a good idea to do it. This is something that was introduced later in the dash 1D variant. I have the exact Bureau Number it was introduced on in an excellent Corsair book that was written by Dana Bell.

However, it was occasionally swapped out on older airframes, when repairs were being made or battle damage fixed. Where this problem started with the "incorrect" part included in the Tamiya kit, (from what I have read anyhow) was the fact Tamiya used a restored Corsair to take measurements from, and this particular Corsair had this later style of open inboard step.

There's one major error with the kit instructions, as far as paint color call outs. This is for the wheel wells of the main landing gear. Most of the time they were painted using the same colors as the surrounding paint. As an example, it the Corsair you are building had a Flat White underside, then chances are the landing gear bays would also have been painted in Flat White. The same thing goes for an overall solid Gloss Blue Corsair. They would have had a Gloss Blue paint used in these locations.

You are doing some excellent work and I'm looking forward to your next installment. Keep it going buddy !

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - Thanks Louis, I have a lot of practice painting small figures thanks to painting friends Warhammer Armies. Definitely need the magnifiers though.

I assumed the Tamiya kit is just several variants in the same box basically and the instructions do call for filling the step with putty.

It seems as though the 1A and 1D kit are basically the same so far other than a couple holes that are drilled differently.

It does make sense that as repairs were being made, they used whatever was at hand as long as it would work. With the number of potential variants out there due to that, it was probably a real challenge for Tamiya to find a fully intact original to scan.

If the main landing gear wheel wells are the underbody color, would the tail wheel well also be the underbody color? Or does that one stay the Chromate color since it's the plane's interior and not the wing?

Regardless, that will be easier than masking the wheel wells.

I thank you for your information, it is truly appreciated!

• Profile Photo

The interior of the rear fuselage tail wheel strut bays on Vought built birdcage and early Dash 1A "raised cabin" Vought versions were painted in a red oxide primer called / known today as "Salmon". This shows the color as this ultra rare early "Birdcage" Corsair was being restored by the dedicated crew at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum.

Goodyear build Corsairs used a Yellowish Green Zinc Chromate here. It was not normally painted over though, and left as is.

The Corsair is my all time favorite plane and I have studied them for years. I would be happy to help you with color information. I have collected a lot of it over these years.

The books I mentioned by Dana Bell are outstanding. He actually has written two of them on the Corsairs. One is dedicated to the birdcage version, while the other covers the dash 1A and 1D variants.

This next picture shows the main landing gear well on the same Corsair that was pulled up from the Great Lakes. It was remarkably preserved. You can see how some of the "salmon" is showing through, where the Non Specular Light Gray has worn away after being underwater for many years. This was a birdcage Corsair, so it left the Vought factory in a different color from the dash 1A.

These birdcage Corsairs left the factory wearing Blue Gray on the top side, and Light Gray underneath. This shows the main landing gear wheel wells were painted using the same color as the rest of the underside was (minus the folding wing portions).

Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - Fantastic Louis, this definitely helps. I was considering finding a couple good images of the main wheel wells to add some extra detailing, now it seems I have what I need, Thank You!

My 1A is being styled after the show 'Black Sheep Squadron' and it does seem as though there are a couple differences among the corsairs used for the show. So I do have some options to consider there.

The Tamiya instructions do not call for the salmon color in either kit though. Tamiya just calls for the same interior color. Either green or yellow chromate...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great filling of the rectangular cutouts and amazing looking figures, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Those steps are nicely corrected, Brian @brithebuilder
    I should not forget to do that on mine as well.
    Excellent paintwork on the crew.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @johnb - Thank you both!

• Profile Photo

I don't know if you have ever seen this or not. It's an article about all of the Corsairs that were used during the filming of the TV show. It covers each one, from their earliest Navy records available, through today, and what happened to some of them. Tragically two of the TV Star Corsairs airplanes were lost. One was due to a hangar fire, and another one due to a crash.

Please follow this link, as it contains a lot of great information about them. It also gives you the aircraft types, along with the original Bureau Numbers.

POOR LITTLE LAMBS – The Corsairs of Baa Baa Blacksheep
    You will also see that Jim Sullivan was credited with a lot of these amazing photos.
  • Profile Photo

@lgardner - Thank you Louis, I had seen the article as I was starting to research this build. It's great to revisit it though with a bit more understanding of what I'm doing. The photos that Jim contributed to that article are quite fantastic. Only one of the Corsairs used in the show was a 1A, Bu. 17799.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

As noted in the above article, Bu-92132 is at the TriState Warbird Museum, which is near Cincinnati, and they are in fact restoring her to flying condition. I've seen her and their progress is slow but steady, by example the engine overhaul is a mere 70K. She'll be painted as Col John Glenn ride with the Naval Reserve out of Columbus, Ohio.

• Profile Photo

Made some progress on the Moto-Tug for the 1D while I waited on the Quinta Decals, which have now arrived. I'll finish up the figure and get everything weathered then back to the cockpits.
    These decals are really amazing, such fine detail and the instruments have so much depth.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Moto-Tug and figure complete.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.