Eduard F6F-3

Started by Tom Cleaver · 11 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

As promised, the new re-release of the Eduard F6F-3 Wildcat. Did this while the computer was in the shop last week.

Painted with Guze-Sangyo Mr. Color Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue and Flat White. Glad that now I have access once again to Gunze (Burbank House of Hobbies has the complete line, both Mr. Color and Aqueous, and will ship). I think Gunze's colors are more accurate than Tamiya's - the Sea Blue is less greenish, the Intermediate Blue is lighter in shade, and the Flat White is slightly "off-white" so not as bright.

Done as Ensign "Spider" Webb's #32 from VF-2, in which he shot down 8 Vals in one mission over Guam on June 18, 1944; it was the only mission he ever flew in "his" airplane. Decals from Fundekals for the insignia and various letter/number sheets from the decal dungeon.

The re-release is complemented by a release of a resin correction set that includes the wheel wells, and main wheels. The corrected prop comes from Bitskrieg, which does a great series of Ham-Standard props, highly recommended.

Headliner post after it's reviewed at M2.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Two thumbs Up. Good to see you back in the game.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Amazing result, my friend @tcinla! Looking forward to the MM article!

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent work! I just got one of the Eduard ProfiPACK F6F-3s myself, I'm planning Fighting 27.

Barrett Tillman talks about "Spider" Webb during the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot in the book "Clash of the Carriers". I want to do a model for Webb, myself.

Tom, I got to read your "Under the Southern Cross", and I'm halfway through your "Holding the Line". Both are superb, you have a real knack for making the history be a great story.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nicely done Tom

• Profile Photo

Thank you Anna @tankgrrl. My most recent book, "Clean Sweep: VIII Fighter Command Against The Luftwaffe 1942-45" was listed at Amazon yesterday as a #1 Best Seller in Military Aviation History.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@tcinla) - Congrats! "Clean Sweep" is on my Wishlist, the only problem is I'll want kits of P-51s when I start to read it.

I was telling a friend about "Under the Southern Cross", especially Pappy Gunn. I love Martin Caidin's novel "Whip", I first read it in 1989, and I hadn't known that the novel was based on Pappy Gunn and the gunship B-25s he modified.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great looking Hellcat, Tom @tcinla. What's this about the 'correction set" in the box? What did Eduard correct? Speaking of corrections, you have a major typo in your lead sentence. Figured you'd want to know.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent achievement on this Hellcat, Tom @tcinla
    I do really like the way you achieved the panel shading, it looks very realistic.
    You achieved all this in just one week waiting for your computer to be repaired, amazing.

• Profile Photo

eb801 - the correction set is separate - Eduard Brassin.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks great, Tom (@tcinla). Mr Color Paints are very difficult to get here, and the online sources always seem to be out of stock, so I depend on other brands. I do like these colors compared to the others.