F4U-4 Jacksonville NAS back on track

Started by Philip A. Stelzer · 15 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Greetings again..

Having repaired the lighting problem in my spray booth I made good progress on the interior. The "Tremclad Black" pre-shading worked out well underneath the Model Master zinc-chromate and a light dry brushing of Humbrol H166 light aircraft gray. The kit decals include some nice interior consoles and instrument panel additions, however I chose to apply only the seatbelts. I had previously tried panel decals on other kits in 72nd scale but found that they looked sort of two dimensional compared to the adequate raised detail in this rendition. Enjoy the better quality of these photos courtesy of my ability to figure out the "macro" setting on my camera phone! Next ...stick everything inside and close up the fuselage. Thanks for following along!

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

A fine looking interior, Philip @phillyhipower
    I agree on those IP decals too much 2D.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

That interior looks pretty good Phil. Who makes the kit you are building and is it 1/72nd?
    Looks like Hasegawa decals to me.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @phillyhipower!

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks for the kind comments!
    The kit is the Revell Germany pressing Eric. Very good detail except for the F4U-1A cockpit.
    Cant see much of it anyway, and I wasn't converting it either!

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

The interior slipped in and buttoned up nicely, as there are a few unique nuances in the kit design that allow for the top of the forward fuselage to remain open while fiddling with the fit of the instrument panel. I found this helped, but some reviewers of this kit chided this feature, complaining about the fit of the upper decking later. It went on nicely for me and I think this is one of the better 72nd late Corsairs out there. It captures the big beefy "hose nose" elegantly! Another difference was that the oil cooler/intercooler intakes and one of the defining elements of the bent winged bird, were separate and added to the leading edges after mainplane assembly. This is the only filler applied to the kit's basic assembly. Not bad! The exhaust pipes were molded to the lower firewall and slipped right over the fuselage scalloping to produce a convincing reproduction. The well detailed engine was a pleasure to paint and detail and the rudder is molded separate and can be positioned offset , which I did, exposing a detailed inner fin ,if you can believe that! Two choices of cowl flaps give open or closed options,which for me is always a given, as I have spent hours laboriously fabricating open cowl flaps on other radial engine fighters. The orange fuselage stripe is supplied as a decal , but I chose to spray it on over a black undercoat as I find it gives an illusion of depth ( and as modellers we are all illusionists aren't we?) I have seen some -4 Corsairs with an anti-glare panel and though I am not sure if any Naval Reserve Units had them ,I like the look , so there you go. Two coats of FS15042 and a couple of clear coats and I am ready for decals! It seems to be taking forever, but this is the busy season at work, so I guess I should go easy on myself.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Fantastic result so rar, my friend @phillyhipower!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your F4U is looking really nice, Philip (@phillyhipower). It is always nice to get the paint on and ready for decals.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Some really nice progress, Phillip @phillyhipower

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Philip A. Stelzer (@phillyhipower)
    These Navy Reserve planes look great with the red orange fuselage band. You doing a wonderful job with this. Thank you for starting the build journal. The Corsair happens to be my favorite plane.

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Despite all the chaos...I present my finished result for the "Jim Sullivan" group build!

This kit was a fine product from Revell Germany, one of the most enjoyable and well fitting 72nd kits I have built and certainly one of best in outline with regards to the F4U-4 series. I added a little photo of one of my modelling hacks which saves me much time. It is a drill bit gauge i use to mask off my wheels while spraying the hubs after painting the rubber "Nato Black". Altogether a great experience. Excuse the "grainy' looking paint texture, the photos brought out the worst in my airbrushing skills...Honestly it looks much better in person, we all know how that sometimes goes. I may do another entry for this build seeing as I have the time. Best regards to all!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent result, my friend @phillyhipower!
    A awesome tribute to Jim and an equally awesome contribution to this GB.
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice looking. Good choice of markings, Phil @phillyhipower

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Superb result, Philip @phillyhipower
    A nicely chosen scheme, not seen that often.