Ōtaki F6F-3 Hellcat - Sullivan GB - finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 92 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Coming along nicely, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Waiting for Decals!
    Drat. I glossed up no.13 in preparation for decals when I hit a temporary dead end. Otakis's kit decals are too old, cracked and absolutely useless so I thought the red star & bars set I have in my decal dungeon would do the job but no, too small. Now I am waiting for a sheet from Fundekals to arrive.

In the meantime I added stretched sprue brake lines to the gear and drilled out the scissor springs.

The real dilemma is I have no proper decals for the VF-16 mascot "Flying Airedale" except what came in the kit. I'm trying to track down newer ones that are included in the Hobbyboss F6f-3 Early kit. The Otaki decal looks like this but I am afraid to use it:

This is what it’s supposed to look like:

I guess I will move on to another build while I wait for those decals.
    Here's where I'm stalled out for the moment. I'm using decal numbers from Techmod and the new Squadron.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking nice Eric, you may want to contact David Kopielski at [email protected]. He posts on iModeler and has done special decals for me. sent him a pic of my mom so I could put her image on a P-38. The P-38 is on my blog on iModeler. His decals are nice and he's reasonable.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for the tip, Tom @tom-bebout. David did a great job with the photo of Marge ---whoops - I mean your Mom! Thing is the decal I need is only 1/4 inch in height. I just need 2. Doesn't make economic sense. But first I will try the Otaki ones and see if they work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks SUPERB so far, my friend @eb801! Looking forward to see the "Flying Airdale" decals on!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely, Eric @eb801
    A pity the decal part doesn't cooperate that much.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking good, Eric! Yes, that art work does need to show it's color and art work better than the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Decals Applied and Finished!

@gwskat, @johnb @fiveten, @tom-bebout:
    After waiting a little over a week, I finally got all the decals I needed to complete "13". I found a tiny pair of decals for V-16's "Flying Airedale" mascot that was included on an aftermarket sheet put out by Eduard some years ago and is still available. And the excellent red Star & Bars by Fundekals arrived today. I'm done at last with the decal stage. Now I've have enough left over to do a flatop's worth of Hellcats.

Onwards!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

The decals do look really good, Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Decals look really great, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

👍👍

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Nice

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months ago:

Out of the Paint Shop, But...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

I sealed all the decals and gave the Cat my own mix of Tamiya clear and am now rounding the bend towards the finish line. But the clear coat brought to my attention something Nick @misfitnick pointed out earlier. A sort of anhedral right near the wing roots at the wing fold that is very obvious in different light and angles. Is this a moulding issue on Otaki's part or supposed to be there? Anybody want to weigh in on this? Louis @lgardner, What do you think?

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months ago:

In the Meantime...
    The gear and wheels are on! I drilled out the tail wheel and the scissors on the main gear.

Lots more left to do so stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months ago:

@eb801 - This is looking really great Eric! I really like how the red line stars and bars pop out.