Ōtaki F6F-3 Hellcat - Sullivan GB - finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 92 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    I'm going to chime in here and echo what has already been said. It's looking GREAT ! Two thumbs up my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Almost Finished

Thanks everyone! @lgardner, @gwskat, @gblair,@fiveten, and @johnb. Appreciate the comments.

I can see the finish line just up ahead. Prop attached and all weathering completed. But...as luck would have it, the Modeler's Curse struck at the last minute and I broke the antenna mask off. I glued it back on but several days later I broke it again while in the middle of rigging. And then I ran out of my favorite Uschi thread and it seems every online hobby shop is out of stock. I will have to use EZ Line instead which is a bit too thick for my liking but it does the job. The mast is back on with EZ attached.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looks great, Eric (@eb801). You have the same luck I do. It wouldn't be a normal kit if something didn't break off, if paint didn't run out, if something got lost in the carpet, or be taking final photos and discover I left something off. I think this is a spectacular build of an elderly kit.

• Profile Photo

Regarding your last comment, George @gblair, all I have to say is "ain't that the truth"!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looks fantastic, Eric @eb801
    The EZ line might look a little thinner once stretched.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looking super, my friend @eb801! Hope all works well with the antenna wire.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Oh man! Don't you hate that.
    I use the EZ Line Fine but I will have to look into the Uschi product. I try to add a small wire pin to any masts I attach for added support.
    And I agree with George's comment, too. Just part of the FUN!
    Looks great Eric! Up on Headlines soon...

• Profile Photo

Just Part of the Fun!

@gwskat, @gblair, @fiveteen @johnb, @lgardner:

It sure is! I finally got the antenna rigged. After breaking off the tail mast and main mast several times and not having much luck with EZ Line - hey that's what I get for actually ordering "heavy" instead of "fine" - and getting extremely frustrated, I switched to the old stand by: invisible sewing thread. Much better.

Here it is complete with yellow wheel chocks that Otaki included in the kit. A few more touch ups and I will be posting this in the headlines soon:

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Congrats! A fine job all around, Eric...Well done!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

The sewing thread as antenna wire looks good to me, Eric @eb801
    As do the insulators.
    The wheel chocks are a nice addition, good idea of Otaki to include them.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Well done on the aerial wire, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    I'm going to jump on the band wagon and echo what the guys said above. You did an excellent job with this. It definitely looks the part. For me the aerial antennae's are the hardest part of the build too, besides painting figures... and notice I don't normally add figures to my models.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the headlines section soon.

Thank you for contributing to our group.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

Ain't Done Yet!

I thought I was finished with this kit... but noooooo. Next day the thread antennas drooped like crazy. What to do? I used a hair dryer to heat the thread and indeed it did tighten up. But an hour later it drooped again. And again. Never had this happen before. Fortunately my order for a new roll of EZ Line Fine showed up and "Bingo"!

I pronounce this Cat finished at last! Thanks to you guys for following along and all great Hellcat info. I will post final photos and an article later this week in Headlines.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Congratulations on finishing this Hellcat, Eric @eb801
    She looks really nice.
    For some reason I also struggle with getting the antenna wires and masts to attach nicely. I think yours do look quite nice.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

Thank you John @johnb. You are way too kind.