SNJ-3 Texan: 1/48 Modelcraft or Revell (Game time decision)

Started by George R Blair Jr · 232 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent result, despite the mini adventure in the end, my friend @gblair!
    An awesome build thread!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). Thanks for following along.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Tom (@tcinla):

I found a color photo from 1944 that shows an SNJ at NAS Jacksonville. It has an interesting paint scheme. It appears to have a dark blue spine and wing tops, with intermediate blue sides. The paint under the wings initially looks dark, but the gear covers appear to be white. It is also interesting that the sides of the tires that would face out when retracted are also painted white. This would suggest that the underside of the plane is insignia white. Perhaps a modified 3-color camo?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

This aircraft kept on challenging you till the final step, George @gblair
    A great save on the super glue disaster. It really looks like a repainted panel this way.
    For a next build, I vote for the Dutch Hudson 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). It wouldn't be one of my models if it didn't fight back. I am really leaning toward the Hudson. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

@gblair - that airplane looks like it was blue-grey over light grey originally, with dark blue painted over the upper work - like some F4U-1 Corsairs were painted in the Solomons.

• Profile Photo

Interesting thought, Tom (@tcinla). Identifying colors in old photos can be tough, even when they were in color. I got a kick out of the tire side being painted white.