Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D

Started by Tom Bebout · 38 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months ago:

Made a little progress on the old Corsair. Was interrupted last weekend with a surprise Father's Day Gift, a ride on the C-47 That's All Brother in Lexington, Ky. Our youngest daughter, an Iraq War vet , went all out and we rode together, lot of fun. Finished the engine, done in gun metal then dry brushed with chrome.[pic 1] Added a data plate and P&W logo. [pic 2] Button her up, Tamiya fit as use was excellent. Sprayed and assembled the lower wing [pic 3] And then took a pic of what the cockpit looks like.[pic 4]

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 11 months ago:

Looks great Tom! What a special experience you had with your daughter and the plane ride! Thanks for sharing that story in your update. I'm just a few steps ahead on my Corsair and will hopefully post some progress this weekend. Everything is coming together nicely on yours and the cockpit with the 3d decals looks exceptional

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

What a great experience, my friend @tom-bebout!
    Your Corsair is progressing beautifully!

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

@tom-bebout - I'm glad you got to have such a lovely experience with your daughter. 🙂

The Corsair looks great, I need to get some of those engine data plate details and such, they add a striking look.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 11 months ago:

Love the Quinta decal sets this company is issuing and ever since using them for the first time on the Tamiya P-38F a couple of years ago, the ease of applying them makes using PE which can be fiddly a no brainer. They really pop and enhance the interior with a realistic look that we try to achieve in any scale, but more so in 48th, So far your excellent work as usual is fantastic. The use of washes, silver pencil and dry brush techniqes along with the Quinta details,really enhances an out of the box interior even more eye popping. Well done. Markings are an excellent choice and unique.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Tom Bebout (@tom-bebout)
    It sounds like you guys had some good "quality time" in a C-47. I've been all around them in the past but I never had the opportunity to rid in one.

Your Tamiya Corsair is a little bit ahead of mine. It's looking really good too. I will be watching out for the next update. Keep it going buddy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

What an excellent Father's Day gift, Tom @tom-bebout
    I can imagine your daughter and yourself had an amazing time up in the sky.
    The Corsair did progress nicely as well.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 11 months ago:

That's coming along nicely, Tom.
    I love doing activities with my daughters as well. Heart warming to see a good relationship with yours too.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@tom-bebout - Amazing build so far Tom. The detail work looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

Is it already Father's Day? What a great present. How 'bout some flight details? Take any photos?

Nice progress on your Corsair, Tom @tom-bebout.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Well Houston we have something that's beginning to look like a Corsair. Typical Tamiya kit everything fits, so far no filler needed.

Got out the airbrush to paint that tail white which I'll mask off to apply the Blue. It's the main reason I chose to do this A/C because of the unusual markings. Speaking of Navy blue I assembled the tanks and finished them prior to painting the air-frame. While at it I did the gear doors as well. Should be able to paint the frame shortly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @tom-bebout!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely, Tom @tom-bebout

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Moving along nicely, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@tom-bebout - It's coming along very nicely Tom. I'm finding the same thing on my build. The Tamiya kit parts fit beautifully without need for filler so far. I was not able to find any of the Tamiya AS-8 though, seems to be sold out everywhere so I'm going to try the Vallejo equivalent.