Vought OS2U Kingfisher - Monogram 1/48

Started by George R Blair Jr · 246 · 8 months ago · 1/48, Jim Sullivan Group, Monogram, Vought OS2U Kingfisher
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Those build warnings and disclaimers on the Cutting Edge correction set instructions seem rather daunting. At the time I built this kit, I was unaware what was wrong with it. You’ve got your work cut out for you George @gblair. I’ll be watching.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months ago:

I got the interior of the model cleaned up, as well as the resin parts. Time for a quick trial run. Everything fit perfectly. A lot of the resin disappears inside the fuselage, so I think pre-painting the parts is a must. The kit wings are designed to be glued together into one continuous piece that simply slides into the fuselage, but the resin pieces prevent that. Prior to assembly, you need to cut the wings to fit around the resin pieces, then install a resin tab and slot assembly to hold the wings together. Sounds like something to postpone till tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months ago:

@gblair - Fantastic work so far George! The resin details are quite amazing, and the warnings do seem scary. When I saw your RTFI on the annotation, I had to re-read the warning several times to make sure it wasn't actually in there. That would have been great if it were. Love the super detailing. Did you also pick up the updated floats?

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months ago:

Nice when the aftermarket parts fit like they are supposed to. Looking good George.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Brian (@brithebuilder) and Gary (@gwskat). This Cutting Edge set was extremely hard to find, but just when I was about to give up finding it, one had just been listed on Ebay. The modeling gods came through. This is one of the most detailed sets I have seen, but it doesn't include a new cowling/engine or a new float to replace the very undersized kit float. Neither the cowling or the float is available anywhere, but this model is a land version, so no float required. I will need to do something about the not-so-good kit cowling. I also found a company named Flightline Engineering that makes 3D printed parts for a few models, like the Monogram Kingfisher. Their set not only includes the complete interior, but also the engine, cowling, and float. I bought a set and found the 3D printed parts are super-detailed and well-molded. The pieces do come with the 3D printing supports still attached, so some work will be required. I have a second Kingfisher model that I plan to use this set on.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

The interior parts are nicely detailed, George @gblair
    Painting them prior the closure would be the easiest approach.
    Pretty sure you will perform some good surgery to be able to mount the wings nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months ago:

Great interior, my friend @gblair! Looking forward to the surgery results!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). I don't think the cutting will be difficult, but getting the resin tab and plug glued in the right place might be fun.

• Profile Photo

I wanted to paint the interior parts before I sealed them in the fuselage. I was afraid that the fine detail would be hard to see and paint after it was added to the fuselage. I started with a black primer from Vallejo, and my fears quickly came to pass. After the primer had dried, all of the fine detail in the interior castings had essentially disappeared. It was very difficult to see where I would need to airbrush highlights and where to leave the shadows. In an act of desperation, I decided to dry brush the interior with white to highlight the detail and give me a clue where the paint should go. Once done, I decided I could leave the stark white highlights and use them to help highlight areas of the cockpit. I painted the cockpit with a very thin mix of US Interior Green from AK Real Colors, and built up the color slowly with multiple passes of the airbrush. For the seats, I had previously sprayed some polished aluminum from a Humbrol spray can, and then added the interior color. After the seats had dried for about half an hour, I scrubbed the seats with a stiff brush and alcohol, which slowly removed the green color, exposing the aluminum color. I was trying to show paint worn away by repeated use, and I was pretty happy with the results. Detail painting next.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

The drybrushing did help a lot to get the details back, George @gblair
    Looks very nice this way.
    As does the seat after slightly removing the paint.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months ago:

I ‘be always liked Cutting Edge resin correction kits. They were ahead of their time pre CAD. This set looks top notch, George @gblair. Looks good now with the retouch and tones down the black primer.

One can hope for a new tool, accurate Kingfisher in 1/48 scale somewhere down the road. I wonder what’s going on with the now defunct Kitty Hawk 1/32 Kingfisher toolings? I could see somebody like Trumpeter acquiring them and shrinking them down to this scale.

• Profile Photo

The interior turned out awesome, my friend @gblair! Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months ago:

It all looks really good, George. Painting prior to assembly was the way to go.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb), Eric (@eb801), Spiros (@fiveten), gary (@gwskat). I like the way the interior is going, so far. Today I need to find some color photos and start painting the interior detail. I was surprised at how the details in the cockpit tubs disappeared with the black primer. Much better now. I am also surprised there isn't a more recent Kingfisher kit. This Monogram kit is over 50 years old. The Cutting Edge set is indeed very nice, but it is nearly impossible to find now. There is a new set from a company named Flightline Engineering that is an extremely well-made 3D printed set that includes the interior, engine, cowling, and new floats. It is at least as good as Cutting Edge, and the people are very responsive. I got a set and I already have the next Monogram Kingfisher warming up in the garage.

• Profile Photo

That Flightline Engineering set looks really comprehensive from the net pics, my friend @gblair. Indeed, it is noteworthy that no new tool Kingfisher is done so far.