Vought OS2U Kingfisher - Monogram 1/48

Started by George R Blair Jr · 246 · 8 months ago · 1/48, Jim Sullivan Group, Monogram, Vought OS2U Kingfisher
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Spiros: The Flightline set is really nice and showcases what you can do with 3D printing. I wish some of these manufacturers would sell the files so I could print the 3D pieces myself. I know they worry that they will lose business or that the prints will be shared, but some of the armor and gaming manufacturers have started selling the printer files. I suspect at some point in the future, that is how we will buy our model kits...simply buy the files and print the kit at home. It would solve the problem of lost and broken parts. :o)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

I have spent the last few days painting detail on the resin cockpits. This is complicated by the fact that nearly everything in the cockpits is cast together as one piece, which makes it necessary to paint under, around, and through the many cast details. Another complication is that I can barely see many of the things I am trying to paint. I used some 1/87 decals that I originally got for my model trains to add some stencils and other markings. Given my shaky hands and bad eyesight, I am pretty happy with the cockpits and other equipment. I still need to do some washes and other weathering, but I hope to start mating the resin interior with the Monogram fuselage tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Looking really good, George. Love the use of decals to spruce up the cockpit details.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Great details, George. That cockpit is terrific compared to the Revell bare bones version.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Awesome job, my friend @gblair! Good idea to use railroad stencils. The interior looks terrific! Great that you have a resin engine in your stash.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Excelletn work on the cockpit, George @gblair
    All the work you put into this one really paid off.
    Looking forward to a detailed engine as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, gary (@gwskat), Eric (@eb801), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb). I wish my painting skills were up to the job, but I think it will be OK once it is in the fuselage. Today is the day when we go over to our kid's house to play board games and get some granddaughter time, so I don't think much will happen today. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

We had our almost three year old granddaughter over today, so I didn't get much done. Evie time comes first. I did get the resin interior very close to installation. I wanted to try some new AK weathering products (or old products in a new container?), so I used the general wash first, and then used the "Atmospheric Dirt" in areas where I thought dirt might accumulate. These are enamel products, so you can use Odorless Turpenoid to adjust the effect. The weathering remained workable with the Turpenoid quite a while, even after I thought that the enamel was completely dry. The turpenoid dries with a flat finish, so nothing to do to get a non-shiny finish. I like the effect that was created. I plan to assemble the small parts (stick, etc) after the cockpit is added to the fuselage to prevent damage. More tomorrow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You did set the right priority, George @gblair
    Times with your granddaughter are priceless.
    Those washes do give a very nice effect.

• Profile Photo

Your washes are really superb, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten).

• Profile Photo

I was absolutely sure yesterday that everything was ready to start adding the resin to the fuselage. I made it a point to read, and re-read, the instructions. I did one last trial fit and managed to snap off the forward part of the fuselage on one side. It glued back perfectly. The plastic on this kit is very thin, so I obviously need to be more careful. There were some areas that needed more thinning, so very carefully the plastic was thinned. Just as I was getting ready to commit to some glue, it occurred to me that the inside of the upper fuselage would be visible and needed some paint. It was today before I really and truly had everything ready to go. The test fits were good and I was tempted to try and glue the resin into the fuselage while the two sides were taped together. The instructions tell you not to do that, rather you are supposed to glue the resin to one side of the fuselage and then glue the sides together. Trying to hold the pieces in place is a lot like herding cats, and there is a lot of room for error. I decided to glue the resin pieces first using some AK PVA glue that is very thick and sticky, and then use super glue when I was sure everything fit. This glue worked well to glue the first bulkhead in place. Once that dries, I will start adding other pieces. Happy Fourth of July to all of you who celebrate the holiday. Cheers.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, my friend @gblair! I remember Monogram's P-40B also having similarly thin plastic.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). It seems like one step forward and two steps back.

• Profile Photo

Even though it takes more time than expected, you are still making good progress, George @gblair