1/35th Dragon M-46 Patton Tank USMC

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Good morning Spiros, John, will try to get more time in to finish this project.
    Hi Erik, yes Dragon tends to supply some nice separate bits instead of moulded onto upper hull like the list hooks, shackles and grab handles. Also the details on the parts are well defined as well.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Now to work on the rear fender area, install the mufflers. First add some details on the storage boxes.

The various latches and grab handles for the storage boxes mounted on top of the fenders, both sides.

The details are carefully attached to each box.

Next is to assemble a set of mufflers, one on each side mounted on top of the rearward area of the fenders.

Once assembled I spray them Vallejo Metallic Dark Gun Metal. Then put them aside.

Before installing them, I first air brush that rear section of the fenders, OD41. Using Mission Models acrylic. It would be difficult to paint this area with the mufflers installed.

Once dry,. the mufflers I test fit the mufflers, then through a rust wash over the surfaces.

I had also painted the interior of the muffler shields/covers OD,

Then both assemblies are attached to the fenders.

Next to add the final details on the front glacis plate, before working on the turret.

More to follow. Happy Chinese New Year of the Rabbit for our Asian friends.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Mufflers and the boxes do look great, Chuck @uscusn
    Especially the rust effect. Those nicely detailed tiny parts are indeed a nightmare if you drop them. Unfortunately I do have experience with that.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks John, the extra details are bringing the Patton to life.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Indeed it is looking great, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Now a quick update on the Patton. Working at the front of the tank. Starting with the pioneer tools rack. And to assemble the LH headlamp assy.

The headlamp is assembled and then attached to the left inner fender.

Next the tool rack is attached to the front plate.

Finally the headlamp guard is installed,

Next up is some detail on the rear deck and start on the turret.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Loved reading through this build, Chuck @uscusn, getting nearer to the finish. Happy Chinese new year, the year of the rabbit indeed.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Progressing nicely on the Patton, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Chuck @uscusn

This is looking REALLY nice ! You have the hull almost wrapped up now. I had to go back and read it again so I could take a close look at your progress.

I like how you painted the mufflers. Here's another bit of Tanker information, that was passed on to me from my dear old Dad who served in these (and Sherman's) in Korea.

He said the heat shields that covered the mufflers were an absolute necessity, especially if you were driving the tank at night time. They served several purposes. First was to keep the Infantry from getting burned if / when they rode on the rear deck as they often did in Korea.

But Dad was mostly concerned about how these shields kept down the visible glow of the hot mufflers at night time. He said the mufflers would get red hot, if you ran the tank under 3/4 to full power for any length of time. He told me that when climbing hills, you had to keep the accelerator to the floor in order to get up to some of the places they fired from. He also said these heat shields could get damaged fairly easily, sometimes even MG fire from a heavy machine gun could damage them enough to make them ineffective.

Then, if it was an exceptionally dark night, (like those without moonlight), the mufflers would be glowing so brightly, they gave away your position... which you didn't want for obvious reasons. This is why he told me how he preferred being in the Infantry, because they "Didn't shoot at you as much !" They always drew fire when he was in the tanks. Mortars, artillery, and occasionally from T-34's or the SU-76, but this wasn't very often for tank on tank.

The best thing he liked about the heat shields was they were often used for heating up the C and K rations... I can attest to doing the same thing in the M-60's and M-1A1's that served in. Only I used an ammo cover from one of the banana boxes on the turret floor, and the heater exhaust (if we were lucky enough to have a working heater that is..) We didn't have exposed mufflers like they did on the M-46.

Another classic case of the Apple not falling too far from the tree. 😉

Dad said that as far as driving up and down the mountains in Korea, he actually liked the older Sherman better. It was better suited to the terrain.

Keep it going buddy. It's looking great and your on the home stretch now.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great progress and amazing looks so far, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking good, Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year ago:

Thanks George, it has been a nice build so for, not much in issues fit problmes, straight forward pretty much. Nice to have a build not a wrestling match. Happy Chinese New Year, belatedly.

Thanks John and long too.

Thanks Louis and appreciate the sharing of your dads experience with the type. I bet this tank was fun to drive after a heavy rain, especially traversing a hill. I wonder how much did the Marines or the Army operated at night. Pretty much left it for night intruders of the Air Force and Nav/Marine air.

Thanks Spiros, finally got to the turret.

Thanks John, 2 1/2 years and almost there.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year ago:

Finally I can start on the turret. Starting with the basics, assembling the upper and lower half.

Next to assemble the barrel, they are in halves, I could not find a metal barrel, so went with the kit parts. The barrels were straight no warpage.

Now to assemble the mantlet.

Dragon provides a choice of mantels, one that allows for the night light or without. The scheme I am building does not have the nightlight installed. But I should've in hindsight used that piece anyway, as I have found photos of USMC tanks with the nightlights removed but the brackets still attached.

Tight fit, in the end one would be careful in elevating or depressing the gun. Which is a good thing, as now I won't have to worry about the barrel sagging while sitting on the shelf.

Other than being a bit of a tight fit. It assembled with no issues.

Installed the finished mantlet to the front of the turret. Fit here is good as well.

The barrel fits into a round with a notch to insert into. A good fit and with that the basic turret is done.

Next up the hatches, brackets and details to attach to the turret.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Great progress o the turret, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Nice progress on the turret indeed, Chuck @uscusn