1/48 Airfix Seafire FR 46/47

Started by Louis Gardner · 7 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This is another kit that I have been wanting to get finished. I had originally started it as part of the 100 Years of the RAF Group Build we had several years ago. It was part of my “Iron Werke” assembly line where I was building 7 or 8 Spitfire kits at the same time in 1/48 scale.

I didn’t get this Spitfire done in time, so it was shelved for a while.

Knowing that this Korean War group will be ending in late July, I figured I’d go ahead and try to get this one done too.

Here’s a picture or two of the progress on this one.

I have assembled the fuselage.

And glued on the upper wing halves. This way of assembly ensured there are no gaps at the wing to fuselage joints.
    I decided to build this one up with the wings fully extended.

I was lucky enough to score two more of these kits on EBay that were being sold as a dual kit. This is a pair of Aifrix kits # A06103 and this box contains two complete kits.

This is not how Airfix sells them. The EBay seller had two kits and they were offering them for sale as a “dual” kit. Two for the price of one.

I have plans to build up one of them with the wings folded.

Having the pair of newer Airfix kits will also help in case my decals are no longer good.

The plastic parts are identical, however they are molded in the typical "light blue" plastic we see in the newer Airfix kits, and not the darker gray color of the original.

I will be building the kit that was started originally. If time permits, I will be doing the other two as well. If not, then I will build them at a later date.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Yet another superb entry, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This will be another great build, Louis @lgardner
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

Thanks gentlemen !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This is a nice kit that always looks good built up. The one failing is that the canopy is not the correct shape, resulting in it sitting on top of the fuselage wrong and not really "fixable." If you open the canopy that's a good argument for going on eBay and getting a vacuform Spitfire bubble canopy.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This will sit really nicely with the Sea Fury, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Excellent choice, Louis!