1/48 Douglas AD-4NA Skyraider, VF-194, US Navy

Started by Reinhard Spreitzhofer · 102 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 2 years ago:

Gonna do a Skyraider from the Korean war, using the Italeri boxing of the old Esci kit with Cutting Edge decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

so...tested the Cutting Edge decals...as feared (and sadly happened before) the decals disintegrated

Although we have the Microscale liquid to secure bad decals, to be on the safe side, my dad will do the scheme included in the kit. Italeri decals are usually good, even after a long(er) time.

• Profile Photo

starting with the cockpit

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Really bad when decals disintegrate, Reinhard Looking forward to your next choice!
    And cockpit looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years ago:

Reinhard, @grimreaper
    This is an excellent choice, and I look forward to watching your dad work his magic on this kit. Thanks for starting and documenting yet another build journal for us to follow along with. I'm sorry to hear the decals have shattered on your kit.

I have one of the old Monogram kits in 1/48 scale #5419 with the big "stinging bee" on the tail, but I'm not sure if it would work to build a Korean War bird. I think it is one of the first / original releases and it dates back around the late 1970's or early 80's.

My Dad was a Korean War combat veteran and he had nothing but praise for the pilots who flew the Skyraiders, Corsairs and C-47's.

By the looks of things you guys are already making some good progress.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Looking forward to see the progress on this as well, Reinhard @grimreaper
    The cockpit looks already impressive.

• Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 1 year, 12 months ago:

troublefree progress so far...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Nice progress indeed, Reinhard @grimreaper

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Interestingly enough, VF-54's and VF-194's Skyraiders had a role in the "true story" of "the Bridges at Toko-ri."

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @grimreaper!

• Profile Photo

ESCI marked the holes for the outer bomb rack locating pins wrong, they did it parallel to the wing leading edge but should be in a 90 degree angle to the fuselage length axis

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

btw, redecided to use the Cuttling Edge decals, treated them with the Microscale Micro Liquid Decal Film, tested them, should work

the scheme in the Italeri kit, although it has a BuNo for a -4N, is a normal -4

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Nice that you discovered the wrongly positioned rack holes, my friend @grimreaper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Good observation and correction, Reinhard @grimreaper

• Profile Photo

the side inserts don´t really fit good
    because some filling and rescribing is necessary, my dad decided to rescribe the whole thing