1/48 F9F-5P.

Started by John Healy · 50 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great looking IP, John @j-healy
    Also the dry brushing on the side panels looks really nice.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The Panther started to take shape today. I blanked off several see through holes in the fuselage and added fishing weights before I closed it up. I’ll remove the tail skid actuator from the arresting hook so both can be installed later.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

It is really starting to look like a Panther, John (@j-healy). Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking superb, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, John @j-healy
    Those weights should definitely keep it with her nose down.

• Profile Photo

Now that the Skyraider is done, back to the Panther. I hope to have the seams cleaned up in the next few days.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Solid progress, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, John @j-healy
    Didn't know those Panthers did have windows at the underside of the nose, do you know if that was used for reconnaissance purpose.

• Profile Photo

Yes, John. This model is a dedicated photo recce Panther, F9F-5P. 36 were built with the camera nose and no guns. The earlier F9F-2 had a dedicated photo version too.

• Profile Photo

Ready for some sanding and polishing before the silver paint goes on. I’ll be away from the bench for about a week but this will finish up fast once I get the paint on it. I’m going to use Tamiya lacquer and AK enamel Extreme metallics for the NMF.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Preperations do look good, John @j-healy
    Is the Mr. Surfacer comparable to LqS (liquified styrene)

• Profile Photo

Superb preparation indeed, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 3 months ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Very nice work here John. I have not been on Imodeler for a Month now due to illness. Both my wife and I got sick, but thankfully we are both much better now. She's completely well, and I'm over the hump and getting better every day. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks for starting another one for our Korean War group. These Panthers are my favorite from this era hands down.

I'll be looking forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo

We stopped by the USS Alabama Memorial Park before going out to dinner in Mobile over the weekend and look what I found out back in the weeds……an F9F-5P! The “PP” on the tail caught my eye from the parking lot. I’ve visited this ship and park dozens of times over the last 40 years and forgot about this plane. It was one of many exhibits damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and is the last plane awaiting restoration.

As you can see, that skin is smooth. Monogram got it right, Trumpeter got it wrong.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi John, Mr. Surfacer is a thick lacquer based primer/filler made by Gunze. Good stuff. It comes in 2 or 3 thicknesses. The #500 is most useful for seams in my opinion.