1/48 Tamiya F-51 Mustang

Started by Louis Gardner · 9 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

This is another build I wanted to do as part of the KW group. Now here we are, the group is ending tomorrow, and I'm running out of time. This KW Mustang is a build that I have always wanted to do.

Believe it or not, I have never built a Tamiya Mustang before either.

I will be getting busy with this one as time permits. This is a kit I picked up from our what was then a local Hobbytown quite some time ago. It's still shrink wrapped, waiting for me as it has for many years. Hopefully the wait will soon be over.

I'm starting this build journal now, so I can make the cutoff deadline for new entries in the group.

Please stop by when you can to see what is happening with this one. I'll be posting updates as they happen.

Thank you in advance, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

A superb entry, my friend @lgardner! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros. Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)

Have you ever built a Tamiya Mustang in 1/48 ? This will be my very first one. I have built several Accurate Miniatures Mustangs and some Monogram ones, but never a Tamiya.

Maybe I can sweet talk our mutual friend Pedro Rocha to join in on the fun since we have been talking about doing a set of mutual P-51 Mustang builds for several years now. He sent me some decals for two very cool looking birds.

If you have one you would like to build, or if you have some input about building a Tamiya Mustang, please feel free to join in with me. You are always welcome my friend.

• Profile Photo

Interestingly, I have never built one, my friend @lgardner, neither have one in my stash. It is said to be a nice, straightforward build.

• Profile Photo

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    I have heard it is a nice relaxing build too, typical Tamiya as they say. If you happen to get a Mustang and wish to join me, you are always welcome. Chances are if you do, you will be finished way before I am. You are the fastest model builder I know ! Your work always looks great once completed too. I don't know how you manage this, but I'm glad you do.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

I have a plethora of 1/48 Mustang kits in stash including the Tamiya F-51D boxing. I also have the Eduard Bunny Fighter Club #103 that provides PE and markings for a Kimpo based RF-51D-25 Mustang along with a Weekend P-51D-5 and an Airfix P-51D Mustang. Then there are the Accurate Miniature and Tamiya razorbacks. Way too many ponies.

Thinking I should up my insanity and offer to build the Eduard RF-51D for this group.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for kind words as always, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo

David Odenwald (@kahu)
    You are more than welcome to join us. That would really be nice. If you plan on doing this though, tomorrow is the last day for accepting any new entries for the Korean War group. We have been following the time line of the actual War, and tomorrow is the anniversary date when the cease fire was signed back in 1953. You can start your entry tonight or sometime tomorrow, but we will not be accepting anything new after that.

We will still be allowing people to finish up what they have started. I will be posting a recap soon on the finished builds, and adding the late entries as they are done.

The other option is that you could join in on this Mustang build journal if you wanted to, adding your Pony here, just as I had offered to Spiros. Please consider joining us. You are definitely welcome to.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Always my friend. Please tell QC1, and QC2 that we were asking about them, and please tell the misses we said hello for us too.

Take care buddy !

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Another beautiful entry, Louis @lgardner
    Must be a great Tamiya kit to build, looking forward to it.